Thread: BRP Sport Rack

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Sport Rack

Anyone try installing the sport rack? It must be the translation from French that makes the instructions so obtuse.

I don't think a "step-by-step" is warranted, but there are a couple of tricks/issues worth a comment:
    1 - the instructions say to remove the side left side panel and battery - take a deep breath & do it.(You can install the Battery Tender(r) cable as the same time anyway...)
    - - Using a ratchet driver was the best way to access the various fasteners, given the tight spaces...
    2. The opening cable - it just fits the holes available, but it does fit.
    3. The plastic nut that holds the cable pull in place must fit INSIDE the frame supports & there's just enough room. I found that twisting the cable to start the threads worked best, and the torque to keep it in place is just beyond finger tight.
    4. The cable must be routed into the frame, to fit in the extrusion channel- I found a round hole in the frame, just aft of the battery that seemed to work, and leave enough cable length. Be careful of the routing, or you'll never be able to get the battery to fit properly - route the cable over the rear battery retainers. Reading the instructions, you would think there was an easier way to route the cable, but I didn't find it.
    5. Fitting the extrusion into the frame was tougher than it sounds -everything is a close/tight fit. Don't rest the extrusion on the seat - it won't stay, and make a nasty scratch on your new paint.
    6. The only other issue was the bottom cover on the rack, which fit rather snugly around the taillights - but it did fit.

This took me a little over an hour to do - mainly because this was my first attempt at Spyder disassembly. Be sure to use a dab of thread lock on all the fastners (except those cheap plastic rivets..)

Send me a PM, if you have any questions

Spyder Garage

Been there--- installed that--- as per usual the BRP instructions are far less than helpful.

Spyder Garage

Default another tip

One thing I found helpful is to transfer the clip for the upper middle splash pan screw on to the rack as soon as you take off the old tailpiece. (sorry for the run-on sentence). If you wait until you need to put in the last screw, you can become agitated!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had the in for maintenance and just let them install it for me. With the temperature in the 100+ range in south Texas and having to take off the Corbin bags I just let them do it. Guess I'm in a hurry and didn't want to wait until it got cooler. Plan on carry luggage on the sport rack in the near future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by q-brrr View Post
    One thing I found helpful is to transfer the clip for the upper middle splash pan screw on to the rack as soon as you take off the old tailpiece. (sorry for the run-on sentence). If you wait until you need to put in the last screw, you can become agitated!
    q-brrr:

I am planning to do the install this weekend, I am worried I don't understand what you mean ("upper middle splash pan screw"). I hope I don't learn the hard way.

J

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post
    q-brrr:

I am planning to do the install this weekend, I am worried I don't understand what you mean ("upper middle splash pan screw"). I hope I don't learn the hard way.

J

Your colored tailpiece, that will be removed and replaced with the sport rack, has one of those spring steel, push on fasteners that the middle undertail pan (splash pan) screws into. He is saying to remove that spring steel fastener from the tailpiece and put it on the sport rack when you have everything apart and out in the open.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Your colored tailpiece, that will be removed and replaced with the sport rack, has one of those spring steel, push on fasteners that the middle undertail pan (splash pan) screws into. He is saying to remove that spring steel fastener from the tailpiece and put it on the sport rack when you have everything apart and out in the open.

I think I got it this time, thank you!

J

Spyder Garage

Default Did it! Thank you Dragonrider, q-brrr and bjt

Your tips were invaluable! Took me 90 min. because I have never taken the panels before. Had to route a bit of the cable behind the front upper corner of the battery as BRP's drawing suggest but it fits fine. The tip about the clip was great; I definitively would have missed it.

Thank you guys!

J
    !
    Last edited by 3wheeldemon; 07-27-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHPhantom View Post
    I did end up with one stripped allen wrench bolt, one of the 2 that hold the bottom cover on. Seemed like an awful soft bolt, simply from torquing.
    I agree! I had the same problem and replaced them with a philips screw

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHPhantom View Post
    Hopefully you decided this before torquing! I have to have my tapped, unless somebody has a better solution to a stripped allen screw.
    I had to purchase a $10.00 tool designed to remove stripped out screws. I tried an easy-out first and it would not work. I didn't think I would ever get it out. What a pain for such a small screw!
    Last edited by Rando; 08-08-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry you had so much trouble - how about a Pic showing which screw for future viewers....

Spyder Garage

Default are there parts?

does anyone know where i can find just the latch for this sports rack? the black plastic that holds the cable.

Spyder Garage

There's a guy on E-bay that has listed "used parts" - You might try BRP Customer service too.. I just had good luck on a GIVI part quest using that route.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rack Bolts ?

Purchased a new 2011 RS and bought the rack and backrest. Upon installing the rack, I found that they did not include the four allen bolts for bolting into the extrusion. Can you tell me if there should have been any other bolts or nuts included with the rack then just these four that were missing?

Also, the center bolt that was removed earlier in the install says in the directions to discard. What replaces where this bolt was removed? Is this the step in the directions where it says "Fasten extrusion to passenger handle assembly with M8 bolt from upside down" Does that mean you install it from underneath instead of from top down?

Thank you!
    Jon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the new RS. To answer the ? Yess there should be a longer Bolt and locking nut that is long enough to pass thru behind the seat from to hold the long silver mounting bracket that the rack mounts too. as i remember the hole is threaded and would only go one way. I have the parts list and instructions if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by JJRider View Post
    Purchased a new 2011 RS and bought the rack and backrest. Upon installing the rack, I found that they did not include the four allen bolts for bolting into the extrusion. Can you tell me if there should have been any other bolts or nuts included with the rack then just these four that were missing?

Also, the center bolt that was removed earlier in the install says in the directions to discard. What replaces where this bolt was removed? Is this the step in the directions where it says "Fasten extrusion to passenger handle assembly with M8 bolt from upside down" Does that mean you install it from underneath instead of from top down?

Thank you!
    Jon
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 06-08-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I know an old post

I read all of the post and the pathetic BRP instructions. Now that it is finally done, I can also say "a piece of cake". But the cable running is not easy and it a crap design. I could not get the washers thru the holes, ended up drilling them out a bit, save yourself time and just drill them out. Also, I couldn't get enough cable to make the release work, ended up drilling a hole in the "frame" for the cable to enter the "frame" without dipping down thus losing a few mm. Right after the battery hold down piece of metal, drill a 3/8 or 1/2" hole.

And before you put the bottom cover on the sports rack, grind off part of the tail lights, so that you can get the bulbs out with out taking off the sports rack. There are a couple post that show you how and where, but right this minute, I can't find them again.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.