Spyder Garage

Default 2018/19 RT Limited

Went to dealer today, actually 2 , neither one could answer my question about the empty dash switches? I found out when I got home they were for 1)emergency brake ? And second empty one was 2) air ride? The 2 inboard ones that were marked had what looked like maybe running type lights, and the other one I forget. ,but 2 were marked.
    In any case what's the deal..are these optional costs they are not saying yet until I get ready to buy? One dealer told me the empty spaces for switches was for add on leds..or anything I wanted
    to add on aftermarket. ?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Title

Spyder Garage

I assume the typo was suppose to be RT.

The parking brake switch has moved from the console to the left handlebar control. That switch position has no purpose for 2018.

The next one was for the rear air suspension. It was a dumb switch to have. Very few understood how it worked. The system was basically automatic but owners did not understand that. So just did away with it for 2018. That switch has no new purpose for 2018.

The next 2 are for Fog Lights (North America) and heated driver grips. Still used for those options.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am (overly) picky about my vehicles and the empty switches really bothered me too! Almost to the point of getting a 2017. It just seems that when you buy a "limited" version it should have all the available accessories and having 2 empty switch ports says otherwise. Does this bother anyone else or do I have a problem

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I am (overly) picky about my vehicles and the empty switches really bothered me too! Almost to the point of getting a 2017. It just seems that when you buy a "limited" version it should have all the available accessories and having 2 empty switch ports says otherwise. Does this bother anyone else or do I have a problem
    I think it's a fuss over nothing. It has all the functions, and you've got space to put in switches for custom accessories.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so very much,,dealers knew none of that..lol

Spyder Garage

Also was wondering why no dash 12v outlet and or USB port? It is usb age..haha

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got another Fog switch and use it for spot lights. I put a dual USB outlet with a 90 degree adapter. Also, I put a favorite pin in the center. Nice to have a few spaces for extra switches.

IMG_1241.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In order to save a lot of money , parts are standardized …. your Spyder has a Complete wiring harness …. whether it uses all the connections or not .... making separate harnesses would be more expensive ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

2017 uses switches for air ride, heated grips, and fog lights....still have unused space, big deal.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does this bother anyone else or do I have a problem
    Yes!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

OK, I guess it's just me. I realize I still have the same functions, it just looks unfinished or like I am missing some options.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
    Thank you so very much,,dealers knew none of that..lol
    Unfortunately you have to get used to that.

Spyder Garage

Above answers on why there are empty are spot on. On mine, I put a dual USB port (lighted in orange) in one, and a "Powerlet" in the second to give me 12V power when wanted (e.g. if I want to add a temp GPS). For the third empty, I put a "Mo-Door" Garage door opened with the switch that looks just like a can-am one (http://www.mo-door.com/Can-Am_Spyder_Toggle_Switch.html). If you put any driving lights, LEDs etc you could uses these. Flamewingers approach is a great idea, but a little mickey mouse........sorry, could not resist. I was actually happy to have the options so that I did not have to hunt around for switch/toggle locations kite other bikes I've had.

Only note of caution, the blank I'm the center ONLY has a round hole below it, not a full rectangular cut out. If you wanted to put a full switch there you have to cut it out some. I chose to use the original blank piece, drill a hole in it, and put my powerless in that location -- that way no cutting on bike.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey