Spyder Garage

Default IdahoMtnSpyder...social security question. Yes, another.

Idaho,

There have been a number of S.S. questions, but I don't remember seeing the one I'm going to ask.

Long story short. My gf started S.S. in Jan 2018, and now was offered a promotion. I looked in my S.S. handbook dated 2010. It states if you earn too much, a dollar for every two you earn will be withheld. It also states your benefits will be increased to take into account your prior reduced S.S. upon full retirement age.

Was that mentioned, and I missed it? Before I found my book, I had told her what is gone is gone.

I know you have a mine like a steel trap, and will remember off the top of your head.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Not Idaho: But, they do withhold part of your benefits AND, part of it becomes taxable if you continue to work until you reach 72. They know how to get us each and every way. The secret is...don't make to much money.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-17-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a link to current SS info on working after retirement. Just in case anythings changed since 2010.

https://search.ssa.gov/search?utf8=%...&commit=Search

Edit: Just thinking this would be additional reading material until Idaho pops up

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

What is her age Wyliec. Age makes a difference

Spyder Garage

She is 62.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There's an old saying - " there's no free lunch " and this applies to SS payouts too …. the IRS will tax your SS as much as they can ( legally ) if you have other income...… Folks ( especially those with private pensions ) who wait till they are old enough to collect the Max benefit are sometimes surprised by how much it will cost them in taxes …. and some don't realize that waiting 8 years and losing out say $1500.00 per month would be $144,000 , plus all the interest it could have earned over 8 years..... IMHO the govt. would like everyone to wait till they are 70 ….because their pay-out would be far less than it is now ….. . Mike

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler,

Can you please pull this thread? I don't believe my original question was understood; maybe I didn't phrase it properly.

I'll try to send Idaho a PM. I was trying to be helpful in case this wasn't covered in one of the previous social security threads. Instead of being helpful, I'm making it more confusing. It's my fault.

Thanks