Spyder Garage

Default To Sway Bar or Not to Sway Bar?

What's everyone's opinion on adding a beefier sway bar to the Ryker? This will be my first bike, but I lean towards the very sporty end of driving experience and dynamics in my cars. Would it be worth it to add the upgraded sway bar to my Ryker to keep with the sporty feel I'm used to?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I added it to my Rally. I also added it to my Spyder RS when I purchased that back in 2013. Without the swaybar I find the Spyder/Ryker dips to much in corners for my riding style. I also found it to be better when riding 2 up. Personally I don't see how BRP can offer the Sypder/Ryker with the softer bar.........seems much safer to me with the upgraded bar. On the Spyder I used a Baja Ron bar. On the Ryker I used the BRP bar (Ron's bar wasn't out yet).

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

The BajaRon sway bar is an amazing improvement to the handling of the spyder/ryker but most noticed by those that are more spirited ryders. BRP uses a middle of the road bar and is adequate for the passive ryders. I will have to say I have not seen anyone comment that it did not do anything to improve the handling and I for one found it to be one of the best improvements on my RS. If so inclined.... a laser alignment and a BajaRon bar are the best steps to help with handling. Then you will get into the whole shocks thing....if you feel you need more....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on adding a beefier sway bar to the Ryker? This will be my first bike, but I lean towards the very sporty end of driving experience and dynamics in my cars. Would it be worth it to add the upgraded sway bar to my Ryker to keep with the sporty feel I'm used to?
    I would ride it for a while before putting it on just to get the feel of both.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I installed the Can Am upgraded sway bar myself. I would not recommend doing this unless you want to lose 10 years off of your life expectancy. It is a total pain in the a$$. Worth it? Yes. But have the dealer do it or better yet get the Baja Ron sway bar which is much easier to install. However, you will need to have a method of cutting the old sway bar unless you want to completely disassemble the whole front end of your machine. My Sawsall wouldn't phase the stock bar, I had to use my cut off wheel.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From what I heard the Bajaron sway bar is much easier because it's 3 pieces. I'd go with that.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the dealer install the BRP swaybar. It was part of the purchase deal. I paid full price for the swaybar, minus 15% and the install was free (did this with a bunch of accessories). Maybe you can work a deal for the accessories as part of the purchase?

Spyder Garage

Whether it's worth it to you will be down to you after you've paid your money. My experience is that if folks pay money for something they mostly convince themselves that it is an improvement.

However, I'm not sure most folks properly understand what a sway bar actually does - here in the UK we call them anti-roll bars - They're kinda needed but undesirable items. It's simply a spring attached to the moving suspension parts and the vehicle frame and the loading of the bar by twisting has a reactive force which supports the low side of the frame so preventing the leaning of the frame to some extent.

Now imagine you've fitted stiffer road springs of the same reactive strength, they too fit between the same suspension parts and the vehicle frame and will provide less roll too.

It's clear to most folks that the stiffer road springs will give a harsher ride but it's often not expected that the stiffer sway bar will also give a harsher ride but it does....mostly.

However, there is a difference and this is what makes a sway bar unusual and kinda less desirable. If both front wheels of the vehicle pass over a road imperfection of the same direction and magnitude, the sway bar has no effect whatsoever because both of its ends move together so there is no twisting of the spring section of the bar. Since road surfaces are always undulating to some extent then the ends of the bar are moving in the same direction and in opposing directions in an unknown sequence so it's effectively a variable spring which is constantly changing in an unpredictable way and sometimes is doing nothing at all!

On the other hand a stiffer spring is always a stiffer spring so is a known quantity.

So, it's your shout and your money.

Me, I like comfort and predictability so I'll stick with soft springs and accept the roll.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking a sway bar here in the Good Ole US differs completely from a sway bar in the UK

Spyder Garage

I added the BajaRon sway bar to my Spyder RT and did not notice much improvement over everyday driving.

When I replaced the front shocks with Elka's it blew me away on the improvement in handling and was much needed when riding two up.

I have not decided to upgrade my Ryker yet with Elka shock because it handles pretty good as is, probably because of the lighter weight compared to my Spider.

If you ride two up a lot and are larger people you may need to.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Cool

Do it.
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

I decided to opt for the OEM sway bar so it will be on the bike and ready to go upon delivery! Down the road (next season) I can upgrade to the Baja Ron if I'm looking for a little more.

Spyder Garage

I decided to opt for the OEM sway bar so it will be on the bike and ready to go upon delivery! Down the road (next season) I can upgrade to the Baja Ron if I'm looking for a little more.
    The OEM bar made a positive difference in overall handling on my Rally, much improved. As to whether it will be on your ride when you pick it up, hard to say. Mine was backordered around 5 weeks so had to bring the Rally back for installation later.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't tried the Ron bar on the Ryker but I'm completely happy with the OEM upgraded bar so I think you will be fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I'm thinking a sway bar here in the Good Ole US differs completely from a sway bar in the UK
    Nah just a different way of explaining it. Exactly the same bars even though we are right hand drive
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron

I upgraded my Ryker 900 ace with the BRP big improvement. Now I have the Baja Ron and even Better. If you want a truly sporty ride upgrade to Baja Ron sway bar. Easy to install and huge different in handling.

Spyder Garage

I installed the Can Am upgraded sway bar myself. I would not recommend doing this unless you want to lose 10 years off of your life expectancy. It is a total pain in the a$$. Worth it? Yes. But have the dealer do it or better yet get the Baja Ron sway bar which is much easier to install. However, you will need to have a method of cutting the old sway bar unless you want to completely disassemble the whole front end of your machine. My Sawsall wouldn't phase the stock bar, I had to use my cut off wheel.
    I am wondering if you had a suitable blade in your Sawsall. I believe that SpyderPops uses a Sawsall for all his Ryker installs. It's a bit easier to control than a disk grinder with a cut-off blade (though this is what I have been using). Either way should work fine with the correct blade or wheel installed. It is actually easier to do than I had imagined.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-18-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am wondering if you had a suitable blade in your Sawsall. I believe that SpyderPops uses a Sawsall for all his Ryker installs. It's a bit easier to control than a disk grinder with a cut-off blade (though this is what I have been using). Either way should work fine with the correct blade or wheel installed. It is actually easier to do than I had imagined.
    I tried 2 brand new metal blades with little success. The cutoff wheel made quick work of it.

Spyder Garage

I tried 2 brand new metal blades with little success. The cutoff wheel made quick work of it.
    I also had good luck with the cut-off wheel. I'll have to check with SpyderPops to see what Sawsall blade he is using. I know he makes quick work of them. I think it is a pretty cool way to go about getting the old one out. It's not like there is any value beyond scrap for the OEM sway bar. So you're not losing anything by cutting it off. And it makes getting the old one out a very quick and easy proposition.

We scratched and scarred up both the old and the new BRP sway bars trying to get the one out and the new one back in. Doesn't really affect function. But it hurts to see your brand new bar getting the powder coating damaged.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am always trying to improve the install portion of the product. This kind of information can really help the next guy.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-18-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Probably a carbide or diamond edged blade. Sway bars are hardened steel and will not play nice with regular metal blades.