Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake again

2018 RTL. Got ready to ride a few days ago and parking brake would not release. Over the next several days, I tried all different combinations and sequences and nothing worked. I could hear a relay or something when I pressed the switch, and it would silence the alarm. I called the dealer this morning and they said to bring it on over. I relieved the tension on the parking brake cable at the rear wheel by loosening the nuts, and put it on my trailer. I tightened the nuts so the brake would hold and it started working. I rode for a couple of hours and it's worked just fine ever since. I cancelled the appointment put a 12mm wrench in my trunk and I'll see what the future holds. I'll report back here with any changes.

Rick
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Just putting this here my 2016 did that several times, eventually it got bad enough I had to take it in and have the switch replaced.
    To be continued....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had the PB motor replaced once and hope it doesn't fail again. I also carry a 12mm wrench and collapsable wheel chocks just in case.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Tenic, it's so new get it to the dealer and get it replaced under warranty. There are enough problems with it on the 2018s for the dealership to know or to be able to confirm with BRP.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That happened to a friend of mine on a ride. We disconnected it to get him back home but once disconnected, he said it would release. The dealer said it just needed adjustment. It sounds to me like adjustment issues are the leading cause of the problems with the PB, but it also could be something else. Either way I would still have the dealer look at it to fine tune the adjustment.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Update: it's been a couple of weeks and I've ridden a few hundred miles without any problems. I've applied and released the brake probably 20-30 times. I'll be ready for my 3000 mile service in a few weeks and I'll have the dealer look at it then. It has no codes stored. When it gave problems it had codes, but they have cleared themselves. I'm wondering if it is an adjustment issue. I'll update if anything changes.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Hi Tenic,
    Had the exact same thing happen during MB bike week in May with only 300 miles on her. I called the dealer, who couldn't come rescue me, so I got down and dirty under the spyder.(Man that pavement was hot!) Loosened the brake cable and it released the brake. Put the cable back on with not as much tension and have not had any problems since. Wrench is stored just in case, and I also believe that it was a tension problem, more than a switch cluster failure. My spyder is going in for it's 3000 mile service soon and I will have a conversation with the mechanics re: this.
    Glide-on>>>>>>>>
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    That happened to a friend of mine on a ride. We disconnected it to get him back home but once disconnected, he said it would release. The dealer said it just needed adjustment. It sounds to me like adjustment issues are the leading cause of the problems with the PB, but it also could be something else. Either way I would still have the dealer look at it to fine tune the adjustment.
    Interesting you should mention adjustment issues. This is my experience...my parking brake motor was replaced due to releasing slightly after applying the brake and the bike would roll slowly down the driveway I guess a common problem in 14's and 15's. After replacement, I ran into a couple of episodes of the parking brake not releasing. Had it at the dealer and they said after they hooked up and adjusted the cable, it ran flawlessly. They replaced the switch as the only other thing that could cause the intermittent problem.

However, after following the stuck parking brake posts, I noticed that a number of members were running into the same issue I had at the dealer...the dealer could not replicate the problem once the cable was hooked back up. I followed the BRP manual for adjusting the parking brake cable after replacing my rear brake pads. It appeared to me that using the BRP recommendation for parking brake cable adjustment, that it was way too tight. I think what was happening was that the cable was so tight after applying the brake, that the motor somehow got stuck and would not release. I adjusted the cable, some time ago, so that at full release, the slack was just out of the cable and it was not tightened as BRP suggests. Since my adjustment, I have not had the parking brake lock up and the parking brake has held my bike even on my very steep driveway.

Now, I could be way off base, but just some things I observed in the posts and my experience that have caused me to adjust my parking brake the way I have.

Spyder Garage

Food for thought. If it's the motor or the switch, why is it that we never hear of one that won't apply the brake? It's always that the brake won't release. You'd think one would fail to apply occasionally.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tenic View Post
    Food for thought. If it's the motor or the switch, why is it that we never hear of one that won't apply the brake? It's always that the brake won't release. You'd think one would fail to apply occasionally.
    That is what happened with the 2014 RTs so the problem back then probably isn't the problem now with the 2018s.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just had my 14 RT LTD up on the lift to check everything out. It seems when I changed the pads I guess I didn't locate the cable properly or it came out. The two adjusting nuts were not located in the slot where they should be and the cable had tension on it because it was running at a slight angle. The rear wheel seemed to not be as free as I thought it should be. I thought my gas mileage had been a little low also. I took the spring off and rerouted the cable the right way and left a little slack in the cable when I tightened it back up. I thought it rear wheel still was a little tighter than both fronts, is that normal? It was dark and getting late so I will look at it again in the AM. I know the brake needs to be working on the semi-auto so it will not roll on you when it is not running so I got to get it right. What is the correct way to adjust the parking brake? I found this on youtube. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Sooo much talk about parking brake. Mine did that 3 or 4 times and everytime, released after a few minutes. I keep the 12mm wrench handy just in case. I also carry a small wedge made of 2x4 in case I don't want the risk of being locked out and not use the PB. Having said that, can someone tell me where exactly the PB motor is located and a picture would be even better. Thanks guys....
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

IMG_0147[1].jpgIMG_0148[1].jpg

The parking brake motor is mounted to the upper right side frame tube on the Spyders. The three possible culprits are the electric motor that drives the cable cam wheel, the switch, and on the RT's the WPM or Windshield/Parking control Module. I think that the switch module on the left handle on the 18 and newers may be most likely, but on the wifes 16 F3 we had the motor replaced at about 36,000 miles.

All I got.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    Sooo much talk about parking brake. Mine did that 3 or 4 times and everytime, released after a few minutes. I keep the 12mm wrench handy just in case. I also carry a small wedge made of 2x4 in case I don't want the risk of being locked out and not use the PB. Having said that, can someone tell me where exactly the PB motor is located and a picture would be even better. Thanks guys....
    Mine turned out to be the left handlebar switch pack. Replaced, and I haven't had a problem since. (Fingers crossed). There is a service bulletin I'm told. (Didn't see it).
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone just converted it to a manual system, these thinks are great when they work
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Has anyone just converted it to a manual system, these thinks are great when they work
    That might not be possible or practical. The parking brake system is controlled via the CAN bus. So whatever is causing the problem would likely continue to exist even if you activated the parking brake motor with a separate power feed, or activated it manually.

I was just looking at the 2018 Operator's Guide. It says the parking brake system won't function if the voltage is below 11 volts. Has anyone who has experienced a PB failure checked your voltage to see if perchance that is the cause?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Update to my previous post. Well it did it again a few days back. Got underneath, manually released the brake, hooked it back up and called my dealer(100 miles away) to let him know I was coming in. They couldn't find anything wrong, however found the fault codes in her memory and said they would order a new left switch cluster under warranty. When I asked if their was a service bulletin from BRP addressing this (what appears to be) common problem with the 18 RTL's, they said no. Only driven her a couple hundred miles since replacement. so far, so good(fingers crossed). So, apparently it is not a tension problem with the cable, but actually an electrical switch failure. My advice is if it happens to you once, it's only a matter of time before it fails again..... get it replaced asap while still under warranty.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

How much did you pay for that trike?!?! Obviously a lot more than the standard of quality and reliability is worth.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Mine was the left control module, and park brake motor. 17 RT