Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Avoid the 2019 Spyder RT?

My wife and I just got back from the 3-Wheeler Rally in Deadwood (it was our first and it was awesome). Anyway, my wife was talking to one of the vendors that advised we stay away from the 2019 but she didn't ask why and in what context. I haven't really heard of any real issues with the 2019. Since we were looking at LED options I can only guess that perhaps the 2019 wiring harness has changed that makes it difficult to connect to tap in the power for the LED. But I'm only guessing here.

Has anyone experienced or heard of issues with the 2019 that would cause an accessories vendor to recommend avoiding the 2019 Spyder? It's possible my wife misheard which is why I'm not naming the vendor.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Without any facts or proof, this is a worthless post.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Without any facts or proof, this is a worthless post.
    Why is it worthless? Maybe there are no facts or proof yet, but someone has made the OP believe there could be something different about the 2019's. I know that if you go on Spyderpops, they are asking if you have a 2019 before ordering anything for the RT, so maybe there is something to this concern.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    Why is it worthless? Maybe there are no facts or proof yet, but someone has made the OP believe there could be something different about the 2019's. I know that if you go on Spyderpops, they are asking if you have a 2019 before ordering anything for the RT, so maybe there is something to this concern.
    This is about somebody saying something about something somewhere. Then a post is started with a heading that suggests we avoid the 2019 model. If you are going to warn people about something, have some facts.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

I'm not warning anybody about buying a 2019 nor trolling here. Somewhere down the road, I'll be looking to add a second Spyder to the family and want to know if there is an issue with the 2019 that I'm not aware of. I'm just trying to understand why the vendor may have disliked the 2019 model. I'm leaning that something has changed internally with the wiring that may require some changes with some of the LED products on the market...but there you're right I have no facts which is why I'm asking the question.

- Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

This is about somebody saying something about something somewhere. Then a post is started with a heading that suggests we avoid the 2019 model. If you are going to warn people about something, have some facts.
    This sounds like someone who heard something and is trying to get to the truth. If you can't ask questions what good is this forum?

Spyder Garage

I got a 2019 RT Limited last month and have put about 1600 miles on it so far. It has been working just fine for me.
    2019 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    This sounds like someone who heard something and is trying to get to the truth. If you can't ask questions what good is this forum?
    Exactly! As long as it is an honest question and not someone trolling or trying to stir the pot (which is not the case here). I'd say Bring It On!

I have discussed this subject with Harvey Clark (SpyderPops) and Lamont (Lamonster).

First, I want to say that mine is 2nd hand information. I do not do lighting (LED or otherwise). But I have been told that for the 2019 models, BRP has made it very difficult to tap into any power leads for accessories like lighting. Difficult, but not impossible. It is my understanding that SpyderPops and others have been able to overcome these obstacles. But again, this is not my area of expertise, So to get the full story I suggest contacting SpyderPops or Lamonster.

My main reason for posting is to defend the OP and the 2019 Spyders a little bit. I don't like unfounded rumors either. And bad information is all to prevalent sometimes. So I understand the push-back on this. But the OP's 'Rumor' does have some validity to it.

There is nothing 'Wrong' with the 2019's. And there is no reason to 'Avoid them'. I think that was poor advise. But the OP isn't saying that you should avoid the 2019's. Only that he was told this. He's not trying to beat up the 2019's. He's just trying to get more information. Which is one of the primary reasons for the existence of this forum. Hence, the reason for the original question and this thread.

This kind of thing is not uncommon. BRP engineered the Ryder sway bar so that it is extremely difficult to swap out. But like the wiring loom power issues, there are always ways around engineered obstacles. That is what aftermarket is all about.

So, if you want a 2019, BUY IT! And live happily ever after!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I will reply to this post, but understand this; Folks who have negative experiences squawk the loudest and longest.

My experience only. Bought a new 2018 RTL (same as the 2019) in April 2019. New, zero miles on it. On the ride home I noticed the fenders flapping, figured that may be normal as I had no experience with these bikes. At home, I found the coolant level low, now I'm pissed at the setup guy. Bought coolant from the local ATV shop which carries BRP products, but doesn't work on Spyders.

Took the bike back to have the tires balanced (90 miles one way) and also try to convince them to install the 20.8 firmware upgrade. Big rigmarole on the software upgrade, not the bikes fault. Rode the bike home, still shaking on the front. Read extensively on how bad Kenda tires can be (hit or miss, you can have my low mile take-offs for free if you pick them up), determined to replace with car tires. Chose Vredesteins with some outstanding assistance from folks on here.

With the fronts mounted by a car tire shop, I immediately noticed the difference. Bike runs a lot truer and less flighty, not darting as it did before. Bought a Cycle Hill tire changer to swap the rear rubber. Upon opening up the rear rim I noticed the rim and rear wheel bearings are Chinese. Can't fix the rim, but darn sure replaced the rear wheel bearings with known good units.

Rode the heck out of the bike for a while, all the while trying different belt alignment and tension settings to get rid of the belt vibrations. Couldn't find the one sweet spot I had before, so I mounted a Roadster Renovations vibration dampener and it really worked good. Also mounted the Centramatic balancer discs.

Found the bike dives and wallows, especially bad with 2-up riding. Installed Baja Ron front spring pre-load adjusters. They worked good. Looking to add the sway bar if I can get the 'roundtuit thing going.

Now, we get to the core of the issue. From April 4th to May 22nd, I worked on and rode the bike to get it whipped into a shape I'd like it to be in. The first parking brake failure warning happened at 1384 miles with just 47 days on it, my problems began. The brake released once it cooled down, and I had purchased the little fold up wheel chocks and two 12mm wrenches to carry with me (based on threads on here), so I figured I'd wait until the 3000 mile dealer service. The brake issue came up 3 times total, but released each time when the bike cooled down.

Rode the bike more, began noticing a coolant leak. In early July (88 days, 1900 miles) I took my Spyder back to the dealer to investigate a brake failure, coolant leak, and also a cold clutch surging issue. The clutch surging may be a normal attribute of the Sypder, but mine seems particularly bad especially in reverse. Having them do the 3000 mile maintenance at 1900 miles due to round trip distance.

So far, this is what I learned. Bad water pump (leak). Bad left switch pack (known issue). I'm not sure that the parking brake motor isn't bad, as it would lock up when the bike was heat soaked and release when it cooled down. I don't have BUDS2 yet, so I couldn't see all the codes they pulled, but I looked at it this way. After parking the bike hot, upon restart I would push the parking brake switch. Upon trying to drive off, the bike didn't beep at me, to my mind that signals that the computer received the command to release (good switch?), but the red dash light would start flashing, meaning the computer recognized the brake hadn't released, showing the position switch was OK. Gotta be the motor, right? They say left switch pack. Hope they're not going to leave me stranded!

BUT! I will add this. I'm working my way through the trials and tribulations of Spyder ownership. My own personal take on this is that all companies, including your favorite car brand, are trying to maximize profit at any expense, including quality control. After seeing Chinese bearings rolling in the rear of my Spyder, and reading enough stories of either failures or short change intervals on the rear wheel bearings, I became convinced that BRP had sub contracted the small parts out to the point of gaining a reputation as being unreliable. They are rated as one of the least reliable bikes by at least one of the major players in motorcycle ranking, with Consumer Reports having them at a 42% failure rating. DESPITE ALL THAT, I still like this bike a bunch and will continue to press forward with it's resurrection to reliability!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Exactly! As long as it is an honest question and not someone trolling or trying to stir the pot (which is not the case here). I'd say Bring It On!

I have discussed this subject with Harvey Clark (SpyderPops) and Lamont (Lamonster).

First, I want to say that mine is 2nd hand information. I do not do lighting (LED or otherwise). But I have been told that for the 2019 models, BRP has made it very difficult to tap into any power leads for accessories like lighting. Difficult, but not impossible. It is my understanding that SpyderPops and others have been able to overcome these obstacles. But again, this is not my area of expertise, So to get the full story I suggest contacting SpyderPops or Lamonster.

This kind of thing is not uncommon. BRP engineered the Ryder sway bar so that it is extremely difficult to swap out. But like the wiring loom power issues, there are always ways around engineered obstacles. That's is what aftermarket is all about.

So, if you want a 2019, BUY IT! And live happily ever after!
    Thanks, this is the information I was looking for. If we do purchase a 2019, this could actually be a good excuse for me to be primary on the new Spyder and let my LED and accessory loving wife to be the primary rider on our 2017. Just don't tell my wife there is a workaround for the 2019. My wife's interest in the Spyder went up a couple notches at the Deadwood Rally when she met the vendors and saw she could customize a Spyder to her liking. Just don't tell my wife there are always workarounds for the 2019.

Spyder Garage

I over reacted. My apologies.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

I don't see it as a real problem. We all need reminders at times. Certainly myself included! It's all good at the end of the day.

I also owned a 1998 Valkyrie. One of the best rides I ever owned. Awesome machine!

Me&ValkSmall.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a S.W.A.G. on this topic ….. What the vendor might have been referring to was a carry over from the 2018 model …. The instrument panel is quite different from all the previous ones …. and more to the point beginning in 2018 … it functions very differently from the previous years …. this all has to do with the connectivity of the new panel …. jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

A good question by the OP, and we are now getting bits and pieces of information that can be helpful to potential buyers of the 2019.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Apology accepted and think nothing more of it. I understand your initial reaction. We all have seen plenty of posts with hidden agendas and investing time in a reply to only realize we've been trolled. I knew when I posted that I may have to follow up with an assurance that my interest in an answer to my question was legitimate. All is good.

Spyder Garage

Default There you go....

See how the site works..... a bit bumpy but in the end you have gotten some information as to perhaps why the comment was made. Glad you asked and the folks here dug into it and got you some answers.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I purchased a new 2019 RL-L back in May. I'm up to 800 miles on the odometer and the only issues are the known BRP Connect problems. Nothing mechanical/electrical/computer has cropped up to date. *knock knock*

Subscribing to this thread and will update if I encounter any issues.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

Most of the wiring changes happened from the 2017 models to the 2018. This goes for both F3 and RT. The only big change from 2018 to 2019 is that the front turn signal lights have moved from the mirrors to the fenders. So any accessories that connect to the turn signals circuit in the mirrors will no longer work. So vendors will just have adjust. They then need to make products that will work with the change. This does not mean you should avoid a 2019.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Yes to the control modules problems

Yes, the control modules are a serious problem on the 2018 year models! My F3 Limited is 9 months old, and the control module on the left handlebar has been replaced twice, and the right side once! This is my third Spyder ( 2013 RTL, 2016 RTL, and 2018 F3L) and I am thankful to have a good dealer who seems to care about my Spyder! I have noted on here several times asking BRP to wake up and get a differ supplies for these modules, like the concern for the China bearing! I don't like riding a bike that is 10th in reliability, but BRP doesn't seem to be listening! I love my Spyder, and most all new bikes have problems, but at the price we pay, BRP should be listening! I support this forum very much and appreciate all the comments good and bad!

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I will reply to this post, but understand this; Folks who have negative experiences squawk the loudest and longest.

My experience only. Bought a new 2018 RTL (same as the 2019) in April 2019. New, zero miles on it. On the ride home I noticed the fenders flapping, figured that may be normal as I had no experience with these bikes. At home, I found the coolant level low, now I'm pissed at the setup guy. Bought coolant from the local ATV shop which carries BRP products, but doesn't work on Spyders.

Took the bike back to have the tires balanced (90 miles one way) and also try to convince them to install the 20.8 firmware upgrade. Big rigmarole on the software upgrade, not the bikes fault. Rode the bike home, still shaking on the front. Read extensively on how bad Kenda tires can be (hit or miss, you can have my low mile take-offs for free if you pick them up), determined to replace with car tires. Chose Vredesteins with some outstanding assistance from folks on here.

With the fronts mounted by a car tire shop, I immediately noticed the difference. Bike runs a lot truer and less flighty, not darting as it did before. Bought a Cycle Hill tire changer to swap the rear rubber. Upon opening up the rear rim I noticed the rim and rear wheel bearings are Chinese. Can't fix the rim, but darn sure replaced the rear wheel bearings with known good units.

Rode the heck out of the bike for a while, all the while trying different belt alignment and tension settings to get rid of the belt vibrations. Couldn't find the one sweet spot I had before, so I mounted a Roadster Renovations vibration dampener and it really worked good. Also mounted the Centramatic balancer discs.

Found the bike dives and wallows, especially bad with 2-up riding. Installed Baja Ron front spring pre-load adjusters. They worked good. Looking to add the sway bar if I can get the 'roundtuit thing going.

Now, we get to the core of the issue. From April 4th to May 22nd, I worked on and rode the bike to get it whipped into a shape I'd like it to be in. The first parking brake failure warning happened at 1384 miles with just 47 days on it, my problems began. The brake released once it cooled down, and I had purchased the little fold up wheel chocks and two 12mm wrenches to carry with me (based on threads on here), so I figured I'd wait until the 3000 mile dealer service. The brake issue came up 3 times total, but released each time when the bike cooled down.

Rode the bike more, began noticing a coolant leak. In early July (88 days, 1900 miles) I took my Spyder back to the dealer to investigate a brake failure, coolant leak, and also a cold clutch surging issue. The clutch surging may be a normal attribute of the Sypder, but mine seems particularly bad especially in reverse. Having them do the 3000 mile maintenance at 1900 miles due to round trip distance.

So far, this is what I learned. Bad water pump (leak). Bad left switch pack (known issue). I'm not sure that the parking brake motor isn't bad, as it would lock up when the bike was heat soaked and release when it cooled down. I don't have BUDS2 yet, so I couldn't see all the codes they pulled, but I looked at it this way. After parking the bike hot, upon restart I would push the parking brake switch. Upon trying to drive off, the bike didn't beep at me, to my mind that signals that the computer received the command to release (good switch?), but the red dash light would start flashing, meaning the computer recognized the brake hadn't released, showing the position switch was OK. Gotta be the motor, right? They say left switch pack. Hope they're not going to leave me stranded!

BUT! I will add this. I'm working my way through the trials and tribulations of Spyder ownership. My own personal take on this is that all companies, including your favorite car brand, are trying to maximize profit at any expense, including quality control. After seeing Chinese bearings rolling in the rear of my Spyder, and reading enough stories of either failures or short change intervals on the rear wheel bearings, I became convinced that BRP had sub contracted the small parts out to the point of gaining a reputation as being unreliable. They are rated as one of the least reliable bikes by at least one of the major players in motorcycle ranking, with Consumer Reports having them at a 42% failure rating. DESPITE ALL THAT, I still like this bike a bunch and will continue to press forward with it's resurrection to reliability!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2019 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

The front fender reflectors have changed as well in 2019. They are smaller and are angled on the back of the yellow side reflector. The back of the front fender is just reflective tape instead of a real reflector.
    I know that when I put on turn signal indicators on my wife's 2019 F3L, the signals went into hyperflash. The usual fix did not work and I had to bring the bike to the dealer to fix it on the Buds computer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Yes, the control modules are a serious problem on the 2018 year models! My F3 Limited is 9 months old, and the control module on the left handlebar has been replaced twice, and the right side once! This is my third Spyder ( 2013 RTL, 2016 RTL, and 2018 F3L) and I am thankful to have a good dealer who seems to care about my Spyder! I have noted on here several times asking BRP to wake up and get a differ supplies for these modules, like the concern for the China bearing! I don't like riding a bike that is 10th in reliability, but BRP doesn't seem to be listening! I love my Spyder, and most all new bikes have problems, but at the price we pay, BRP should be listening! I support this forum very much and appreciate all the comments good and bad!
    I figured I would weigh in on this subject a bit as I work for a Tier 1 supplier for an automotive OEM. While I am glad you pointed the finger at the supplier for a part that may not function correctly it still isn't easy for the OEM, BRP in this case, to just switch suppliers. Typically the tier 1 suppliers assemble their product from pieces provided by tier 2, 3, etc suppliers. The first obstacle in switching suppliers is that the new supplier may be assembling the same parts so the exact same issue may still be present. Finding a supplier not in the current stream will add additional costs. The new suppliers need to develop the tools and process for manufacture and assembly of the parts. This can easily add tens of thousands of dollars, or more, which ends up being the consumers price to bear in the end. Likely what is happening at this point is BRP back charges the supplier for each repair BRP has to make as punishment for the bad part. Of course this charge will be handed down to the guilty supplier in the end, and hopefully encourages that supplier to do better or sometimes forces them out of business.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

So far our 19 has adjusted to my mods. without any problems......Knock on wood.

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak, one of the most knowledgeable Spyder techs, strongly cautions against installing accessory lighting of unknown quality by tapping into the can-bus system. In his vlog videos he has shared his experience with Spyders throwing random trouble codes resulting in limp-home mode due to problems with accessory lighting of dubious quality.

Spyder Garage

Yes i read this also ,he works on these bikes and sees first hand the problems and shares with us .thanks Shawn .

My 2018 has 14000 km and not one problem ,other than trying to figure out the dash .
    I do not like the wallowing in corners and uneven pavement ,sometimes can be hard on the heart .
    2018 RTL , dark blue