Spyder Garage

Default My 2009 gs se5 will not start

hi everyone,
    I just joined spyder lovers and I'm looking for help. I bought a 2009 spyder GS se5 just a few weeks ago and took it for the first long ride the other day of about 160 miles. On the return trip I was about 4 blocks from home and I got an ABS fault come up and the check engine light as well and it went into limp home mode, fortunately I was close to home. I parked it in my garage and decided to do some research, that's how I find this sight. I went out to start the bike this morning. it would not turn over at all, the battery connections are all good. it is given me a different warning indicator, the oil can indicating a low oil pressure. I checked the oil and its good. in the manual is says to check the oil when the engine is at normal operating temp. turn off the engine then start it again for 30 sec turn off then check oil, but obviously I can't start the engine to do that. I checked fault codes by pressing down the S M and turn signal button but it gave me nothing. I press the starter button and it gives me a whirring sound then nothing. I also checked the brake fluid level and it is good. Does anyone know how to get this started so I can get it into a shop? Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Battery may be dead or going dead, not enough power to turn over bike starter? Try charger overnight.

Spyder Garage

Default First thing....

First start with checking the battery.... If possible jump start with car (engine off) if it does k8ck over you do have a battery issue. Cables, connections or battery itself..do you know how old it is... If it starts check the charging. ABS could be for several reasons and the check engine light comes on for any problem occurring. If any work has been done on wheels or brakes you should check the abs sensors.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The reason it will not start has nothing to do with oil level or pressure. It should start even without any oil in it. Not a good idea, but there are no safety features to stop you from doing that.

Eliminate all the basic new rider issues. Sit on the Spyder. Turn on the key. Put the engine stop switch in the run position. Wait for the prompt and press the mode button. Press down the the service brake pedal and hold. Press the start button.

If it does not start. Describe in extreme detail what happens or better yet post a video.

Your ABS fault issue can only diagnosed after you get the engine running and make the fault active again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Remember to put foot on brake when starting. The oil indicator is on when NOT running as there is no oil pressure yet . It goes off when it starts. If you hear nothing when U hit the start button, probably brake not pushed, kill switch bumped, etc. Also lookup YouTube video on how to check the codes when you see limp mode or something flash. Gotta check them before shutting it off! Hit MODE until you see total hours, then press and hold MODE and hit the high beams VERY FAST 4 times, the code should run across screen. Also when you turn key on does the screen boot up (meaning it has power)?

Spyder Garage

The battery is good, took it into batteries plus and had it tested. Tried to start the bike the same way I have a dozen times. Everything appears to boot up correctly but i'm still getting the same problem as before. The left turn signal is blinking faster than normal if that means anything. Unable to bring up fault codes as i can not start the bike. I'll be taking the bike into the shop tomorrow to get looked at. Hopefully not to expensive. Thanks for the help

Spyder Garage

Before someone points out the obvious I disconnected the rear left turn signal when I took the side panel off, which I'm sure is the reason for the left front turn signal. Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Found the problem. A simple fix. Burnt fuse, replaced it started right up.

Spyder Garage

What fuse was it that was the problem? What did it control?
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Switch on the brake pedal. Fuse #7

Spyder Garage

Now to find why it blew .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

That explains the ABS fault as well.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Replaced the fuse started right up, took it for a short ride no problems. The next day it would not start again, same fuse blew. Replaced the fuse it still would not start.
    I turned the key on and it blows a fuse. It's fuse #7 in the fuse box. This controls D.E.S.S., LICENSE PLATE LIGHT, POS. LIGHTS, TAIL LIGHTS ,SERVICE CONNECTOR(NOT SWITCHED). DESS stands for digitally encoded security system I believe. Does this authenticate the key?, I am not exactly sure. It's the fuse box under the service cover. Will this be an expensive fix? Thanks

Spyder Garage

You might want to look at the wires under the side panel you removed. You might have a wire is shorting out, and that's what is blowing the fuse when you turn the ignition.

Spyder Garage

Start with the parts of that circuit that are most vulnerable. That is all three fenders. Unplug the licence plate light. I think the plug is on the right side of the swing arm. Then unplug the front fender position lights. The plugs are under the upper swing arms. You are not the first to have issues like this. It was caused by road debris or the harness has come loose and the tire has worn through the insulation.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Im having the same issue with my 2009 RSS right now. I have owned it for about 2 months but only ridden it about 6 times.
    The other day I installed a sports rear fender and removed the reversing light a previous owner had installed, but left the wiring for the light installed( but taped up). When I went to start it, the F7 fuse kept blowing , so I removed the reverse light wiring altogether and the problem was fixed(or so I thought). Today I went for a ride, stopped at service station, started again, stopped and started again, arrived at destination. When I went to go home.... nothing F7 fuse again...tow truck time..