Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Here Also Ride a Maxi-Scooter?

After ryding today, I'm starting to think that maybe I'm not as pleased with the Spyder as perhaps I should be. The main issue for me remains the general lack of comfort. My F3-T forces my legs to splay out which, after two years of ownership now, still gives me pain and cramps in the hips while riding after awhile, and I'm stiff as hell right after the ride.

So, somewhere along the line, I came across the idea of looking at scooters or "step-through" motorcycles. The one that has me intrigued at the moment is the Suzuki Burgman. Everything I've read about it is that it's comfortable, has plenty of power and storage, and reviews say it's easy to ride. On the negative side, Suzuki didn't release a 2019 model for some reason. (I don't know whether that's good or bad.)

I'm in no rush to jump on one, but I'd thought I ask whether any Spyder owners here have any experience with either this Suzuki or another similar scooter? If so, what were your impressions and is it possible to compare/contrast with the Spyder?

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a Burgman for three years or so. It is the Gold Wing of scooters. Smooth, faster than you want to ride, comfortable and just a fine all around machine. I am kinda sorry I sold it. The man who bought it rides it with my group once in a while. It runs like a hose. If you want a scooter, it is the best. It is a different ride from the Spyder....

ps Mine was a 650.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Burgman also came to my mind when you posted. My only suggestion...get the bigger one of the two offerings.

Test drive before you buy so that you are SURE it will be the one for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I owned a Burgman 400 for just over a year and loved it. However, after buying the Spyder RT Limited the Burgie became an orphan. I had to force myself to sell it but luckily the first person to look at it had been trying to find a good used one for awhile and snatched it up at essentially the same price I initially paid for it. Looking back, I enjoyed the Burgman but they are heavy and I got tired of having to muscle it backwards and putting my feet down when stopped. I guess the Spyder spoiled me and just made me lazy.

Spyder Garage

I sold my 2018 Burgman 650 Executive this past spring to buy a 19 RTL. I enjoyed the bike and it was quick for a 650 twin but my wife wasn't comfortable on it as she is nervous on 2 wheels. On smooth roads it rode fine but expansion joints or cracks in the road it was a jarring ride to me and I didn't care for it even with both rear shocks set to the softest setting. The RTL is a lot more comfortable to me. I did test ride the F3T for a 1/2 day and it didn't fit me (I'm 5'8) even with the bars back an additional 1". Just be aware, a new Burgman depreciates rapidly as scooters aren't that popular and it took a while to sell it even at a discounted price but in my area out here in Colorado, you rarely see any scooters. On a positive note, it has heated seats, grips, electric shield, and lots of storage under the seats and some in the dash. I could also keep up a fast pace ride with other bikes no problem. I just don't see us going back to 2 wheels as the RT is so comfortable.

Spyder Garage

When wife and I travel we take the Spyder RT. When I travel alone I take my Yamaha T-Max and I love it. It is the hot rod and handling king of maxi scooters. Don't count out the Honda Silverwing, there are lots of great Silverwings still out there and they pop up for sale often. I have taken several week long or longer trips on the Max with no issues at all. I think I would part with my Spyder before I would let Max go. A big scooter makes a great addition to the garage.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Still have my Burgman 400. See. No reason to part with it. Will handle any road you throw at it with comfort and does. Not lack for speed. Milage is great too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I've owned a Burgman 650 Executive, a Burgman 400 & a Silverwing 600.

My favorite was the smaller Burgman 400. Not as heavy for me, very economical, the most storage of the 3. Cheaper to buy. Sold it to get my Spyder as my knee deteriorated & it was difficult to hold up when coming to a stop.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Had a 650.....loved it until the accident.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 2011

20190221_172954.jpg
    2011...650 burgman 27k..asking $3600
    PM me if interested
    Last edited by rydahog; 07-15-2019 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Text

Spyder Garage

I had a Honda Forza 300 I loved until I purchased the Spyder, now I do not miss it in the least. The Forza is a great bike, it ran great, was easy to park, I had no complaints. I just love my Spyder much more.

Spyder Garage

I have a Honda Silverwing 600. It's a great bike, easy to ride, easy to park and tons of storage. Linked brakes, no shifting. Reliable as only Honda's are. Not made anymore, but that is not a problem, plenty of used, late model bikes around, some with really low mileage.

Here's mine:

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black