Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3-T Oil Change Refill Capacity Dilemma

Good Morning.
    I apologize for the lengthy post.

I purchased my 2018 F3-T back in October of last year (it was still in the crate when I made the purchase). I hit the 3000 mile mark week before last and took it to the dealer to have all of the 3000 mile inspection requirements done with the exception of the oil change, which I planned on doing myself. When I picked up my Spyder the service tech told me that the oil was over serviced, and that they had adjusted the oil level. I found that kind of odd since I have not added a drop of oil since new, and every time I have checked it it’s been right at the Full mark.

I had a work trip last week (Spyder stayed home), and didn’t get to the oil change until this past Saturday. I had purchased the oil change kit and 5 quarts of oil from BajaRon. I used the owner’s manual, and drained the oil from the engine, and transmission. Removed and replaced the oil filter. All O-Rings, and crush washers were replaced. I reinstalled the drain plugs, and torqued everything to the specs in the manual and added the 5 quarts of oil. I started the engine to check for any leaks, and all was well. No leaks, runs or errors. All panels were reinstalled.

Now the dilemma: When I checked the oil level it was just barely up to the “Min” mark on the dipstick. I texted a friend who has been riding Spyders a lot longer than I have, and he told me that 5 quarts should have filled it up to the “Full” mark on the dipstick. He suggested that I ride it a few miles and check it again. This was done, with the same results. Oil level barely at the “Min” mark. At this point, I drained the old oil into a 3.5 quart water bottle (filled to the top), and 2 of the empty oil bottles (also filled to the top). 5.5 quarts. I did check the oil level prior to starting the oil change, and the level was right at the “Full” mark on the dipstick. Still perplexed I looked at a copy of the 2019 Spyder F3 Owner’s Manual that I had, and found that BRP has changed the refill capacity on the 2019’s to 5.5 quarts.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I have emailed BRP Support, and I did receive a reply that it was being “escalated to a senior service representative”. Just to be safe I’m not going to ride it until I find out what’s going on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Bill

Spyder Garage

The 1330 engine should take about 5.25 quarts to put the oil about half way between the lower and the upper marks on the dipstick with a filter change. You need to ride at least far enough to get the engine warmed up before checking it. Let it idle a few minutes, shut it off. By the time you get the panel off and check the oil, you should get a correct reading. The Rotax is a dry sump oiling system. You don't check the oil cold. It needs to be run a few miles and then checked.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ngined-Spyders

If you put 6 quarts of oil in after an oil change, the level after the warm up and proper procedure will be right at the top of the full ball which would be a little too much oil. If you get in the habit of of checking the oil at gas stops or after you come back from a ride, you won't have a problem with it. All dry sump engines have to be checked like that to get a correct reading. It is same way checking the oil level on the Harley dry sump engines.

Dealer should have give you a hard copy of the owner manual. If not, you can download a PDF copy.......

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...1-521f89d08ab7
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our 2016 F3L takes more than 5 quarts. About 5 1/4 here too. Check it after a ride.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys

Spyder Garage

Same here. 5 Quarts only goes to the min mark. The books says to then ride it to get it to operating temp then adjust to around half way between Min and Max. Just be careful to not over fill it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

RTFM, including the picture of the dipstick on pg 116 of the 2018 F3 operators guide and the oil capacity table on pg 118. If one then desires to fiddle with the oil level that's one's own business. Ride more, follow the engineers' directions and worry less.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    RTFM, including the picture of the dipstick on pg 116 of the 2018 F3 operators guide and the oil capacity table on pg 118. If one then desires to fiddle with the oil level that's one's own business. Ride more, follow the engineers' directions and worry less.
    JayBros, I did RTFM as I stated in my first post. I'm new to the Can-Am Spyder, and this is the first oil change I've done. When a manual tells me that I need 5 quarts after an oil and filter change to fill the crankcase, I assume that it should fill it at or close to the "Full" mark on the dipstick. Mine was just below the "Min" mark. I did follow the manual on how to check the oil level, and ya know what, It's still below the "Min" mark. I posted on the forum to ask if anyone else had heard of this, not to be told to RTFM. I just want to make sure adding more oil to get the level correct won't mess something up.

Spyder Garage

The owners manual is very confusing the way it is written. It says to add 5 quarts of oil (SE6), and the first time I changed my oil I had stopped reading there. I went on a group ride the next day and when I got to the meeting place, My Spyder did not want to shift gears. I checked the oil and found the level on the min mark. The book then says that after you add the 5 quarts to go to the engine oil verification sub section and follow those directions. The reason it does not tell you to add an X amount of oil is that sometimes there may be a little oil left in the engine. In the add oil subsection it says that IF the level is below the MIN mark, to add 500 ml or 17 oz to get it to at or under the max mark.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I believe the closer you get it to the max mark without going over the cooler your engine will run and shift gears. Being on the safe side if it says 17 oz. I would add half that then check again till you get the feel of how much is enough.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

When the oil is freshly changed, it is hard to read the dipstick. One trick that has been suggested here is to lay the stick on a paper towel or blue shop towel. The oil on the stick will wick on to the towel and you can get a better read.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Spyder Garage

My apologies to you, Southpaw, no offense intended. I guess I got a little short fused having been in on the problems with the original 1330 ACE engine 2014 operator's guide that was really crappy because the tech writers bolixed up things with inaccurate information and, among other things, a picture of a V-twin dipstick instead of the correct 1330 one, the correct procedure for checking oil level, etc., from the get go. I honestly don't know either if there isn't some translation problem from French to English in the operator's guides. FWIW, over the multiple oil changes I've done on my Spyder's 60K+ miles I've sometimes diddled with the level to get it to the mid mark between Min and Max, the latest time after the 56K service during which I also changed the HCM filter. In all cases when I've added more I have added in 2 oz increments to prevent overfilling. I can assure you too based on oil analysis that the engine runs fine on five qts for the full 9,300 mile change interval. Just back from a 5,100+ mile tour I can assure you that the 1330 engine uses zero oil; my dipstick level was exactly the same as the day I departed on tour.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My apologies to you, Southpaw, no offense intended. I guess I got a little short fused having been in on the problems with the original 1330 ACE engine 2014 operator's guide that was really crappy because the tech writers bolixed up things with inaccurate information and, among other things, a picture of a V-twin dipstick instead of the correct 1330 one, the correct procedure for checking oil level, etc., from the get go. I honestly don't know either if there isn't some translation problem from French to English in the operator's guides. FWIW, over the multiple oil changes I've done on my Spyder's 60K+ miles I've sometimes diddled with the level to get it to the mid mark between Min and Max, the latest time after the 56K service during which I also changed the HCM filter. In all cases when I've added more I have added in 2 oz increments to prevent overfilling. I can assure you too based on oil analysis that the engine runs fine on five qts for the full 9,300 mile change interval. Just back from a 5,100+ mile tour I can assure you that the 1330 engine uses zero oil; my dipstick level was exactly the same as the day I departed on tour.
    None taken my friend, and my apologies as well. I let my frustration come out in my reply. After reading the responses it appears that all is normal, and I just need to add a little more oil. I have another quart on the way and as soon as it arrives I'll get the level up in the normal range and be off riding.

Thanks again
    Bill

Spyder Garage

I just did the oil change on my 2018 rtl ,put in the 5 guarts and had to add some to get in in range .There is a sticker beside the dip stick with what to do when checking the oil.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Here is how i do my oil changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Here is the sticker on my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Here is how i do my oil changes.
    Wow nice set up. That is what I need. No more laying on the cement

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I am a retired mech ,and do some work on the side .Got tired ( and to old ) to be crawling around under vehicles .
    2018 RTL , dark blue