Spyder Garage

Default Sena Headset and accessories

Mike Here,
    My mind is about to be fried reading about headsets and accessories.. All we want is to be able to talk to each other while riding. I plan to buy Xm receiver so we can listen to that also.
    I am not a techie, so help and use laymen’s terms. LOL LOL

I have a 2016 RT-S, radio sucks so we listen to music from phone connected in rear trunk.

Thanks, mike

Spyder Garage

We have the Sena SMH10 and we use them for exactly what you want. Intercom between us and stream XM radio. We also have our phones paired with them to receive calls. They work just fine. I installed my own XM receiver and I ordered the Sena bluetooth module with the required wiring harness from Motorcycle Dave who is a vendor on this site. Everything works well for us. We've had the Sena SMH10's for 5 years now and they haven't let us down yet. Talk to Dave. He has what you need and at a good price as well. It really isn't difficult to get it all up and running. If I can do it anybody can
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I have a SENA SM10 and an old ROADY2 XM receiver.
    I use Bluetooth and hardwire. Everything works fine.
    I ryde a 2013 ST-S
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

We currently have a set of Sena SMH10 and a set of built in Nolan N coms. IMO...the Sena is quieter, and has a longer communication range (bike to bike). We usually never get out of line of site from each other.

The Nolan are not as good, and are a little more noisy. We have also tried Cardo and Chatterbox. They lost out in both categories mentioned above.

We have NEVER tried the newer (one mile range), and multi bike (three or more) versions...which are now out there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have Sena Evo 20S for rider/passenger intercom (works well when both on same bike as well as separate when I'm on the Virago) and bluetooth 1 each to our individual Android and iPhone for Pandora and Google Maps as needed.
    Very pleased with connectivity and sound quality, even with my earplugs in.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

If that is all you need it for i'd probably go with the 10's and talk to Dave. I have the 30's, that I got from Dave, but I got it with the idea of not needing to upgrade again for a very long time but they are more money than you need to spend.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I had a pair of SMH-10s and was disappointed. There was a 5 second delay when switching from listening to music to the intercom.
    I know, that doesn't sound like much, but if I saw something I wanted to point out to my passenger, oftentimes, we'd be passed it before the intercom managed to connect.
    Not everyone seems to have this issue, but a few others did.
    I'd suggest going with the SENA 20.
    Almost instant communication.

In the end, I converted the SMH-10s for use on ski helmets. Once the intercom connects, we just stay connected.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I had a pair of SMH-10s and was disappointed. There was a 5 second delay when switching from listening to music to the intercom.
    I know, that doesn't sound like much, but if I saw something I wanted to point out to my passenger, oftentimes, we'd be passed it before the intercom managed to connect.
    Not everyone seems to have this issue, but a few others did.
    I'd suggest going with the SENA 20.
    Almost instant communication.

In the end, I converted the SMH-10s for use on ski helmets. Once the intercom connects, we just stay connected.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    We don't do music on ours. We just stay connected on the intercoms....so there is instant communication. Good for emergency and road hazard situations.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When we bought our 2017 F3L two years ago, we added a set of Sena SMH 10's to our new helmets so that we could easily talk to each other while riding 2-up. The Sena's will each pair to 4 other units; the first job was to pair with each other, leaving three more possibilities. I paired my driver helmet to the GPS and to my phone, so there was one choice left. My lady had similar options. At first, I wanted to hear my F3 radio in my helmet, so I asked, and was told to buy a blue tooth extension for the radio. Then, I was advised it was not possible to hook up; dealer fully refunded my money. Then, because I had acquired Sirius XM in my new truck (free one year trial with purchase), I was told by Sirius that I could also have free streaming on two additional devices. I chose my cell phone and my laptop. Because my cell phone was already paired with the Sena on my helmet, all I then had to do was open the streaming app on my phone and turn on the Sena. Now I have XM music channels in my helmet without using the F3L radio and without having to buy any bluetooth 'tail' to add to the bike radio. Bottom line: no additional equipment expense; I just pay for the renewal of the streaming. Sound is good, no reception issues because I'm using satelite. I'm not very 'techy', get challenged/frustrated by most electronic equipment and often struggle. This was a very simple solution for me. We have had no issues with the Sena's; just have to keep batteries charged; no problem. Sometimes there's a few seconds delay, or w. has to tap her button in order to talk to me. My unit is pretty much always on and ready to listen or communicate.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever headsets you get, make sure you get a Dual set as they will come already paired to each other. Then you can separately pair to any BT device for music, phone and GPS. The newest headsets by Sena, Uclear and Cardo (and possibly others) have a BT Mech technology and pair instantly. Makes it easier to communicate bike to bike. Problem is this BT Mesh Technology is brand specific. Sena also has a separate device that enables earlier Sena's to have BT Mesh Technology.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 07-15-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spider-rider View Post
    Mike Here,
    My mind is about to be fried reading about headsets and accessories.. All we want is to be able to talk to each other while riding. I plan to buy Xm receiver so we can listen to that also.
    I am not a techie, so help and use laymen’s terms. LOL LOL

I have a 2016 RT-S, radio sucks so we listen to music from phone connected in rear trunk.

Thanks, mike
    Hi Mike .... Dave here
    Give me a call 209-8879-3283 I am open 7 days a week
    9:00AM to 8:00 PM I am in California so we are in the same time zone
    I can help you with your audio needs.
    Ride Safe
    Dave