Spyder Garage

Default Does the Ryker need an alignment

My wife says it feels like her Ryker 900 "floats". She weighs in at a whoppin 110lbs, so I'm guessing that's a contributing factor. The front end is light to begin with. Are people getting a lazer alignment done, and does it help? Probably gonna go with a swaybar upgrade too. Just curious if the Ryker's alignment is as bad as the RT's are from the factory
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Yes. There are two in Las Vegas. We have done both, and both needed it.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    My wife says it feels like her Ryker 900 "floats". She weighs in at a whoppin 110lbs, so I'm guessing that's a contributing factor. The front end is light to begin with. Are people getting a lazer alignment done, and does it help? Probably gonna go with a swaybar upgrade too. Just curious if the Ryker's alignment is as bad as the RT's are from the factory
    I owned one of the first Spyder RT's and the alignment was terrible and nobody knew how to deal with them, not even the dealers.
    I ended up aligning it myself best I could and it came out good.

My Ryker was pretty darn good when I picked it up but noticed a slight amount of wandering at highway speed.

I have learned that toe-in is a must on these so I checked my Ryker and it was set at 1/4" toe-in but 1/2" toe-in is ideal.
    Made a big difference and now tracks straight at all speeds.

It may sound crude but I just measure the front and back of the front tires and set 1/2 inch toe-in.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

The swaybar upgrade will help but she's right, they are "floaty" especially as light as she is. I'm 6' 240 and mine is floaty. Lots of factors contribute to that though, road conditions, tire pressure, wind, rider weight etc. I wouldn't necessarily say it needs an alignment. On a calm day and a good road they track pretty good, but add any of the mentioned conditions and all bets are off. The steering is tight and reacts to any small movement at all. So a windy day and you can be all over the place. If she has a Rally lighten up the shock settings.

Spyder Garage

I took it out for a quick 10 mile spin today to warm it up for an oil change. I was on a variety of road conditions, and I would attribute the floatiness to the roads. Rough township roads at 60mph was a challenge, but the highway at 60mph was pretty simple and straight. She came home when I was changing the oil and I had to give her some well deserved "Kudos" for riding it as well as she does. I can't let her ride the RT until we can afford another one....LOL. I'll pass on the alignment. It tracked pretty darn well on a good road.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I would agree, my Rally on a good road tracks very well.

Spyder Garage

From my understanding, reverse trikes are more challenging to get properly aligned. Upon delivery of my 1st spyder, and 2015 ST Limited, the alignment was wretched. Had it laser aligned and it was a dream. Night and day difference.

Upon receipt of my Rally, I was very pleasantly surprised that the alignment was quite good. No need for laser alignment.

Life is good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
    ...It may sound crude but I just measure the front and back of the front tires and set 1/2 inch toe-in.
    I was about to say that's a lot of toe-in but if you're measuring it at the outer edge of the tyre that would account for your measurement. Even so, it's still a lot, I'd be paying attention to the outer edges of your front tyres to keep an eye on the wear.

Spyder Garage

Default A least checked...

I would start with the tire pressure for if it is high the front end will seem light to the touch. As to the alignment, These units are shipped with the front wheels off and the front end anchored down to the crates. In shipping the crates a bumped about and that can impact the alignment much like hitting a curb or a big pothole. I would have it checked it the dealer does not do it after assembly...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    I was about to say that's a lot of toe-in but if you're measuring it at the outer edge of the tyre that would account for your measurement. Even so, it's still a lot, I'd be paying attention to the outer edges of your front tyres to keep an eye on the wear.
    Still within specs, factory manual calls for toe-in -5 to -15mm. I measure from the center of the front tires.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing