Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Interesting. Is the rescission statement readily available?
    The oil they ship in the kits is now SN rated. The question came up before when the changed ratings were noticed and someone wrote to brp-cares and posted the response. If you really want an 'its ok, use it' statement from BRP suggest writing to them. FYI, the Lamonster Garage oil is also SN rated. Its getting pretty hard to find one that is not. Valvoline 4T was one of the last I knew of and its getting hard to find since Walmart quit stocking it in stores.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The oil they ship in the kits is now SN rated. The question came up before when the changed ratings were noticed and someone wrote to brp-cares and posted the response. If you really want an 'its ok, use it' statement from BRP suggest writing to them. FYI, the Lamonster Garage oil is also SN rated. Its getting pretty hard to find one that is not. Valvoline 4T was one of the last I knew of and its getting hard to find since Walmart quit stocking it in stores.
    Nah, I'm good, am very happy with the oil currently being used in the Spyder. Thanks for the info.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    But the Ryker doesn't have a clutch nor is it wet so why do we care about wet clutch applications on the Ryker forum?
    The reason is that BRP recommends a wet clutch rated oil for the Ryker. But I think this is more a case of sell what you have than recommend what might be best. Just speculation. But it is a valid question. What other non-wet clutch, integrated transmission vehicle recommends a wet clutch lubricant? I do not know of any. There is no advantage to using a wet clutch oil in a non-wet clutch application. Actually, compromises are made in the lubricant properties to achieve wet clutch comparability. So why not ditch the disadvantages if you don't need the compromise?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The reason is that BRP recommends a wet clutch rated oil for the Ryker. But I think this is more a case of sell what you have than recommend what might be best. Just speculation. But it is a valid question. What other non-wet clutch, integrated transmission vehicle recommends a wet clutch lubricant? I do not know of any. There is no advantage to using a wet clutch oil in a non-wet clutch application. Actually, compromises are made in the lubricant properties to achieve wet clutch comparability. So why not ditch the disadvantages if you don't need the compromise?
    ….. A new oil is just More a dealer has to stock ….. and they might have to drop the price - ain't gonna happen ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I really like the Rotella 5-40. BUTT! Dealer will only use BRP oil and filter. Tom
    Not correct. Doesn't apply to all dealers. Speaking in general terms like that isn't a good idea. Ask the dealer. My dealer will install whatever oil I bring to him then just charge labor cost.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Do you ever long for the days when you just grabbed a can of green or red top Quaker State and dumped it in?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Do you ever long for the days when you just grabbed a can of green or red top Quaker State and dumped it in?
    No, but I miss the days of .10c island oil. I you remember then?

Spyder Garage

My moneys with Ron!!! I use Amsoil in everything in the door yard!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, but I miss .10c island oil. I you remember when?
    In my Ohio town when I was a kinda new driver, I remember what we called bulk oil. It was by the gas pumps and in a glass quart jar with a tin spout for 17 cents a bottle. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    In my Ohio town when I was a kinda new driver, I remember what we called bulk oil. It was by the gas pumps and in a glass quart jar with a tin spout for 17 cents a bottle. cueman
    Re-refined - they called it.

My how times have changed.

Spyder Garage

No, but I miss .10c island oil. I you remember when?
    Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Yup, one of my very first jobs - filling those glass bottles with oil, keeping the island rack topped up & clean, and offering to check the oil & water & washing the windscreen on every customer's car! I musta done a good job at all that, cos I skipped the usual 'service station career & promotion path', jumping right over sweeping the workshop floor & going straight to helping our 'qualified mechanic' work on cars & learning all I could about spanner spinning on the job!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!