Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Go to the motorcycle oil section of your favorite auto parts store.
    Pick a "brand name" synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil with a viscosity near to what your book recommends.
    Rotella T6 is good too and has the proper certifications for wet clutches too.

When I was doing my own changes.....on a bunch of different bikes.......I used Mobil One 4T bike oil, but it's kind of expensive.
    The burning question is... Why use a motorcycle specific oil (designed for a wet clutch and transmission application) when the Ryker requires neither of these? Why not use an automotive oil which has friction modifiers helpful to engine components, thus optimizing the oil for the application?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The burning question is... Why use a motorcycle specific oil (designed for a wet clutch and transmission application) when the Ryker requires neither of these? Why not use an automotive oil which has friction modifiers helpful to engine components, thus optimizing the oil for the application?
    Ah man.........there ya go. Making things simple again. jk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey BajaRon, help me out brother, did you come up with an automotive oil to use in our Rykers? I’ve been a good old man and have waited patiently! cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Hey BajaRon, help me out brother, did you come up with an automotive oil to use in our Rykers? I’ve been a good old man and have waited patiently! cueman
    I am not recommending anything yet because I have not personally run it or tested it. But frankly, I cannot see where it's going to be a big deal to run engine oil in an engine. I like Amsoil because it does what it says it does and I've yet to see an oil test out, apples to apples, better than Amsoil. So I've decided to go with Amsoil's XL, 10w-40 which I feel is a better viscosity fit for the Spyder/Ryker anyway. Amsoil also has an even higher quality lubricant, 0w-40, which is tempting. I may try that and see how it fares against the 10w-40 on the next go-around. I am certain that either one will far exceed any requirements that BRP has.

It will run about $8.75 per quart. Who knows! I might even be able to get better fuel mileage with it!

I know some feel Amsoil is overkill for the Spyder/Ryker. And I can't necessarily argue with that. It's all a matter of perspective. I plan to switch out to all Amsoil lubricants eventually.

XLO.jpg

Here is some of the description for the XL oil.

AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oil is the choice for those who want to do something extra for their vehicle. Its boosted formulation delivers extra cleaning power, outstanding wear control, excellent high- and low-temperature protection and exceptional fuel economy. XL is engineered for advanced automotive technology, including turbos and direct injection. It is packed with extra engine protection, allowing you to go up to12,000-miles or one year, whichever comes first, between oil changes. XL Synthetic Motor Oil maintains its fluidity (viscosity) under the most extreme conditions. Some oils break down and significantly increase in viscosity after extended periods of high-temperature operation. These changes can cause excessive oil consumption, engine deposits, accelerated wear and difficult cold-starts. The GM Oxidation and Deposit (GMOD) Test consists of a 5.7L V8 engine running at 293ºF (100º hotter than normal) for 100 hours. These severe operating conditions test an oils ability to control viscosity increase, deposits and oil consumption. The testing revealed that AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oil provides 64 percent more protection against oil breakdown than required by the GM dexos1® Gen 2 specification, ensuring protection in extreme temperatures.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

when the Ryker requires neither of these? Why not use an automotive oil which has friction modifiers helpful to engine components, thus optimizing the oil for the application?
    Oops. Sorry.
    Missed that key word RYKER again.

You are right, of course.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Oops. Sorry.
    Missed that key word RYKER again.

You are right, of course.
    Yes... You DO NOT want to apply any of this information to a Spyder with both wet clutch and transmission lubrication needs. Using an automotive, engine only oil in a Spyder would be very bad indeed!

I have not checked all of the lubricants that BRP offers. But I'm thinking they are recommending what they have (for the Ryker anyway) rather than what might be best. i am not saying that the BRP lubricants recommended for the Ryker are not adequate. I'm just always looking for a better mouse trap! For this, I will ask forgiveness.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-15-2019 at 10:23 AM.