Spyder Garage

Default Adjustable Windshield Buffetting / Bouncing Dash and GPS

I Google'd a lot and also searched here and read some other posts about the adjustable windshields moving down by themselves due to buffetting / bouncing / flapping more than they should. However those topics are really old, and my issue also includes the dash bouncing a lot making it hard to read my GPS. So, I'm hoping someone has found a more solid solution.

Please bare with me...it has been a crazy 5 years since I purchased my 2014 ST-S SE5 brand new in 2014. Not that ya'll care to know about me really, but I have loved riding all types of 2, 3 and four wheeled motorized toys all my life. But, due to life and family I have not been able to ride hardly at all in 5 years. Prior to 2019, my spyder had less than 1k miles under her belt. I am now finally back to my passion of riding a lot more and have ridden 5k+ this year!! And, life feels great! Always a wor*k in progress, but still great.

With that aside, the only upgrade I made prior to 2019 was in March 2015 which is when I replaced the stock windshield with the CalSci XL. From what little I was able to ride, I never had an issue of it falling down while riding. However, it might start doing it soon since I will be raising it and lowering often depending on weather, etc..

Last month (June 2019), I installed a nice GPS unit and mounted it on the top part of the dash under the windshield. It's a sweet spot and installation/mount job.

I never noticed or paid much attention, but I NOW notice the windshield flaps back and forth (bounces) with wind and on bumps making the GPS blurry to read. I really wish the windshield was more stabilized like a permanent mounted (non-adjustable) windshield so the dash would be steadier. I don't feel the dash needs to shake that much even on somewhat smooth interstates.

Time permitting, I'm going to take the windshield and tupperware off tomorrow and see if there is anything I can tighten or something so I can still adjust the windshield without falling and especially read my GPS without having to slow down or stop.

Does anyone know if a heavier spring kit is only for helping a larger windshield move up and down. OR, if it will also help highly reduce the amount of buffeting, bouncing or flapping?

Regardless, I really want the dash to be steadier.

Thanks for any input ya'll might have for me.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

Sitting as long as it has, your tires could have developed flat spots. The back of your front fenders can be a good indicator as to how round and in/out of balance the front tire(s)are. If they're shaking around when you're on an otherwise smooth road, thats not good, and will transfer that vibration to the rest of the bike. Most all windshields on our(older)Rt's shake rattle and roll. Nature of the beast. Personally have never had one move down by itself(not saying they can't). Glad you're back in the saddle. Enjoy!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

@Jeriatric, hey there. I probably should have given more history of the bike than myself. Sorry about that.

The tires are in pretty good running order with no flat spots, etc.. I have been taking care of maintenance items during these non-riding years fairly well. I have only needed to replace the battery and she still runs like a scolded ape...so, I feel I did a decent job keeping her in...wait for it...ape shape

I or my son would get her out of the garage at least twice a month for about a mile or so. I only kept a little gas in her so as to never hold old gas by running her. I maintained air pressure, tendered the battery, changed the fluids, checked the belt and wiring, etc..

I could not let my bike become beaten up like myself. I had to make sure she was in shape for when i was able to get back riding or worst case had to sell her as a great buy.

So, thankfully it is not the tires because those are a bit more expensive...at least, I hope this issue is not more costly than tires..

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up ST-S Windshield won't stay up

Here is a link to a post describing the needed fix for the windshield issue.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Won-t-Stay-Up
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE * Adjustable Windshield Buffetting / Bouncing Dash and GPS

*UPDATE*

I'm updating to share a some things in case it ever could help anyone in the future.

This post was to figure out how I could reduce or eliminate the windshield from bouncing so much it makes the dashboard also bounce just enough so my GPS is hard to read. I think of myself as a pretty good DIY'er. I've done quite a bit to the bike this year with no issues. But, I still hate it when things do not work out and especially if I damage something. I really like where the mount is by keeping the GPS out of the way and eye level.

A) @Haze - There is not a problem with the windshield staying up at this time. I do like the fix post though and bookmarked it. Not only is it a good fix, it gives me a more info and the understanding of how things work with my bike.

B) I took the windshield, etc. off to expose the bars which raises the windshield up/down. Nothing seemed off our out of place. Just as @Jeriatric said, the shaking is just part of the beast. In my case, I cannot reduce or eliminate the shaking of my windshield anymore than it is now. There is nothing wrong with the windshield and the hardware keeping it mounted to the bike. I was just being hopeful.

C) DAMAGE NOW - The mount job went smoothly and looked great and nothing cracked. I have not used the GPS on it up to this point and have been riding it for a week or so. So, as I was taking the dash and windshield apart and noticed cracking around the mount.

I used industrial rubber gaskets between the dash plastic and top/bottom mounts with stainless screws and aluminum bottom base and tightened things with just enough torque so damage would not occur. I was wrong.

I can only assume the windshield shaking, hot sun, cool garage and more-than-likely over torquing caused the cracking. I so wish I'd known about the shaking before planning and creating a mount. Not only can I not read the GPS, the dashboard mount caused cracking damage to the upper dashboard console trim. I am NOT going to take a chance to keep the mount job and risk losing, dropping and/or breaking my GPS. I could use it to hold my phone, but over time it will get worse anyway.

Here are some photos of the mount and cracking.

20190714_113525_altered.jpg 20190714_113443_altered.jpg 20190715_101811_altered.jpg
    20190715_101828_altered.jpg 20190715_101853_altered.jpg 20190715_102159_altered.jpg

After all of this I've decided to mount the GPS using the RAM mounts on the steering column and re-run the wires. I did not want it there originally because I would have to look down due to my height, but I can make it tall enough I'll be fine.

Here are pics of the parts needed. I can reuse some, but I might just get everything as if I had a dealer do it. FYI...there is not a dealer close enough who can do this. I have found the parts at 2wheelpros.com, but I'm hoping someone knows what if these are the correct names for the part and if possible can recommend a cheaper place or if I should just stick with this company...otherwise, I'll probably order the parts from them this week.

20190715_100258_altered.jpg parts-image2.jpg

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html

Part numbers:

85 - Push Nut - $0.92 pkg of 8 - Manufacturer Part# 250100034 - Item Number OEM618525
    141 - Clip - 6 x $0.97ea - Manufacturer Part# 517302785 - Item Number OEM606469
    320 - Upper Console (TLTD) - $103.48 - Manufacturer Part# 705004954 - Item Number OEM915816
    371 - LH Slider Seal (TLTD) - $11.69 - Manufacturer Part# 705005411 - Item Number OEM915828
    372 - RH Slider Seal (TLTD) - $11.69 - Manufacturer Part# 705005412 - Item Number OEM915829

330 - Carbon Black Front Console - $157.49 - Manufacturer Part# 705006842 - Item Number OEM915820

78 - Torx Screw K40 x 12 - $1.48 - Manufacturer Part# 250000577 - Item Number OEM915777
    346 - Upper Consol Moulding - $22.48 - Manufacturer Part# 705005320 - Item Number OEM915822

I really appreciate the input. I'm so glad I became a member of this...ya'll are great folks.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 07-15-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add where I'm mounting the GPS now.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE:

I worked on the dash and filled in the cracks and made it stronger but flexible as well. The dash will either last forever or A LOT longer after cracking it with the dash mount idea. You cannot tell in a photo, but you can feel it with some cool smooth texture that has some flexibility to it. I used the following:

Rust-oleum LeakSeal Black Flexible Rubber Coating Spray Paint
    Rust-oleum Black 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Spray
    Rust-oleum Universal Clear Topcoat

Here's some pics after re-mounted the dash after I spent 5 days spraying and curing it. This is not cracks or missing paint...it's dust from the garage and specks reflecting. It's a nice smooth/rough feel/texture. I like it a lot.

20190801_225519.jpg 20190801_225538.jpg 20190801_225614.jpg 20190801_225648.jpg

So, for now I will continue to use the dash mount for small items such as my phone, etc. I re-wired the GPS to go onto the steering. I believe this will be an OK spot after all especially since I'm more limited than some.

20190801_221859.jpg 20190801_221834.jpg