Thread: Trip report

Spyder Garage

Default Trip report

Just returned home from a 4,000 mile trip starting out from Indianapolis, Indiana taking me through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and a portion of Utah and Arizona. Then back to Colorado and home via Nebraska and Iowa. My Ryker Rally performed flawlessly with no issues. Four the days exceeded 550 miles. I was quite comfortable. I was traveling with my sister on a Harley Tri Glide, a friend of hers on a Honda Goldwing trike and a friend of mine on a Goldwing 2 Wheeler. At the end of the various days, I truly believe that my smile was bigger than any of theirs despite my tricycle coming in at a little more than a 3rd of the cost of these other touring machines.

To outfit the Rally for this type of touring, I added the following:
    Atlas throttle lock,
    Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover,
    Foam grip covers,
    Cortech pillion bag that also serves as a great back rest,
    Custom made larger windshield; and,
    Lamonster footboards.

My riding companions could not believe that my little Ryker handled the many miles that it did. I had absolutely no mechanical issues.

My only frustration was the range of the Ryker per tank of fuel (roughly 130 miles per tank at 80 miles per hour).

I've done similar trips in the past on a Spyder ST Limited and seriously had to add oil every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Not so with the Ryker. I didn't even check the oil until I returned home and it was still at the full mark - simply unbelievable.

I was as comfortable on the Ryker as the ST Limited.

Needless to say, I'm sold on this little machine.

And yes, that's snow in one of the pictures below taken on a great gravel road in the mountains near Silverton, CO.

Keep the breeze at your knees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Man that 3 or 4th pic ought to be your Avatar pic. Nice report and photos!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

sounds great .. I also reach the 6.000 miles now, but I reach with "mixed-speed " more than 35 mpg ?!? Normally I look for a petrol-Station when my Display Shows 25-30 miles to an empty tank .. so I would say 160 - 190 miles with one tank ??
    (we have a different mapping for the 900 Ace here in Austria - our Rykers are not so fast than the US Version)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

At 50 to 60 miles per hour, I also get About a 160 - 180 miles per gallon. Traveling back roads at 40 to 50 miles an hour, I once got 201 miles out of a tank. That was certainly better than a poke in the eye.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    sounds great .. I also reach the 6.000 miles now, but I reach with "mixed-speed " more than 35 mpg ?!? Normally I look for a petrol-Station when my Display Shows 25-30 miles to an empty tank .. so I would say 160 - 190 miles with one tank ??
    (we have a different mapping for the 900 Ace here in Austria - our Rykers are not so fast than the US Version)
    Thanks for the update. This got me thinking....how cool would it be to be able to push a button when getting up to cruising highway speeds to make the CVT change gearing for lower rpms while on a highway. Then when dropping down to lower speeds (like getting off the highway) it would automatically change maps for normal driving modes.

Spyder Garage

Fantastic. Looks and sounds like you folks had a great trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    At 50 to 60 miles per hour, I also get About a 160 - 180 miles per gallon. Traveling back roads at 40 to 50 miles an hour, I once got 201 miles out of a tank. That was certainly better than a poke in the eye.
    with what "mode" do you normally ride ?? if we ride 2up it seems we are in ECO if we want or not .. Solo I use SPORT in the mountains and ECO on normal roads..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suspect that soon, you will see the places that develop springs, ramps, rollers, shivs and parts for ATV CVT trannys will start to develop after market parts for the Ryker. Would not be surprised to see tranny improvements from the Factory judging upon the sales success of the Ryker. concept.

BTW, wounder how sales of the Ryker is going? Better than Can Am hoped or expected????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess this crushes the know-it-alls that claim the Ryker is just for around town.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Not sure which gravel road the Silverton, Colorado pic was taken on but I was over the passes (yes, there is more than one) between Durango and Silverton on June 14th and the rest area at the top of Molas was snowed closed. Kids were sledding on the hillside across the road! They had LOTS of snow in Colorado this past winter! Oh, I was NOT on my Rally but next year I'll be taking it from New Mexico to Colorado. Glad to see someone crush my " its not a touring bike" comments. In the photos it also looks like you had at least one pannier. I'll be figuring out a way to use soft bags to compliment my top box before I go touring on it.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!