Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RSS SE5 not starting

Need some help.
    2011 RSS SE5 will not start.
    It turns over, gauges all work, but it just will not start.
    Battery was checked with and without load, and it seems fine.
    In September 2018, put new MSD plug wires and plugs on from BajaRon. Also put in the new battery.
    It started just fine then.
    Have not ridden since August 2018, due to 2 back surgeries.
    Finally got released to ride, and I cannot get it to start.
    Has been on battery tender and like I said, battery checks good.
    Tried the wide open throttle thing to get oil and fuel flowing before actually attempting to start it.
    It says it is between 400 and 500 rpm's when attempting to start. Doesn't seem fast enough to me.
    If I give it some throttle while trying to start it, that jumps to between 900 and 1200.
    Any ideas on what might be going on?
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Spyder Garage

Does it sound like it's trying to fire at all? Have you put any fresh fuel in the tank? Or did you add a fuel preserver/stabiliser to the tank before you stored it last?? How long did you crank it over for??

After long standing spells, most motors will need some fresh fuel in the tank & for the operator to crank it over long enough to pump that fresh fuel back up from the tank into the engine - and it might easily take as much as a solid minute or so of cranking, or 4 or more 15 second cranking spurts if you prefer going that way (probably better for the battery, just so long as you rest it for 10 seconds or so between each cranking spurt) - and be warned, that is quite a LOOONNNG time to crank an engine over on the starter!! Time your usual cranking spurts if you don't believe me!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Give the starter time to cool after the long try's or you will kill it, if not start smoking & other risk is likely old gas with ethanol crap is now just sucked deep in system & wont purge till gets taste of fresh gas. Dealer could purge or someone here knows how. How much is the question by all means don't risk more back surgery maybe just check plug wire connections once more & battery connections to be sure. It tested fine great, don't matter if connections are not good too. When was last time air & fuel filters were checked or changed? Hopefully nothing nested up in airbox. (while your looking at connections)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

There's lots you didn't mention that could help. Has it been parked inside or out? Have you checked for rodent invasion(mice/rats love to chew on wire insulation)or they could have built a nest in your air box? It has been my experience if a battery will crank a Spyder, it will start a Spyder. That said, it could be the battery doesn't have enough amps left while cranking, to properly light up the plugs. I'm going to be a contrarian here and say(year old) gasoline(is not a good thing),but it will ignite. It generally smells like hell coming out the exhaust, but will ignite. Now if the Spyder was parked outside the gas could be fouled with a heavy dose of moisture(not good). Have you checked fuses and relays? I'm sure others will think of other possible reasons, just like those before me.

Good luck finding the cause, and keep us posted.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I would drain the gas, put in fresh, and a bottle of seafoam to clean the system! If that gas is that old it don't have enough corn to pop. Seen it happen a lot with other motors!! If there hasn't been a mouse house set up or wire chewed that would be where I would start. make sure your getting spark. Air , spark , fuel, the combo for a good time!! good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would drain the gas, put in fresh, and a bottle of seafoam to clean the system!
    If you are going to do that, you should at least use a product that actually is a GOOD cleaner......and is not overpriced.
    Berrymans B12 and Gumout are the best.

A really LOT of things could have happened while it was just sitting there for almost a year.

Unless you really enjoy challenges like this, a shop visit might be the best thing to do.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Things to try.....

If you can pull the cover on the left side middle and get to the rear spark plug and check for spark... Pull the cap and place any spark plug in and set the plug on a metal part holding it by the insulated rubber boot or cable or you will have straight hair for a while...If it sparks you for sure have a fuel problem. You can sometimes spray WD40 in the intake and if you have spark even with bad fuel the motor will fire once or twice but not start up and confirm the spark. If you confirm spark then you can follow suggestions above as to the fuel, fuel filter, injectors etc....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes. It was outside and covered with a heavy tarp. I will check everything mentioned and get some fresh gas in it.
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black