Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealing with Hand/Wrist Pain?

I'm at the age where arthritis is creeping into my hands and wrists. So, I find it a bit painful to adjust the throttle while riding after awhile, and the pain lingers long after the ride as well. I use a "cramp buster" but cramping is no longer the issue - the issue now is pain. So, I'm wondering whether there are any after-market gizmos available that others with this same issue use?

I know that cruise control is available, but I ride mostly back country roads that are twisty, so my speed constantly fluctuates which makes cruise control impractical.

So does anyone have anything to recommend for my situation?

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    So, I'm wondering whether there are any after-market gizmos available that others with this same issue use?
    Without knowing the exact CAUSE of your discomfort, suggesting ways to alleviate it would be rather pointless.

OTC anti-inflammatorys and proper hand/wrist positioning can help a lot.
    But after that......see a doctor.

Spyder Garage

I experience hand/wrist discomfort when riding my bicycle. I found that wearing tight-fitting nose pickers (fingerless gloves) helps..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

You could try wrist wraps. They're primarily used for lifting support, but may be just the ticket? They do not interfere with, or wrap around your palms, they're simply a wide band that wraps around your wrists. fwiw

Example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrap-Brac...ctor/166157203

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Proper position & relaxed grip primarily, try adding some thick foam grips to the cramp buster.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Proper position & relaxed grip primarily, try adding some thick foam grips to the cramp buster.
    http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also try what works for my very old hands ….. I no longer hold the grips - at all …. I just rest my hands on them and only push to turn …. this is for just normal riding … in the twistie's I hold on ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem with arthritis in my hands along with a trigger finger that locks on occasion. I ordered the slip on foam grips and use gel padded half gloves. Together they make the cramping and pain tolerable. Trigger finger rarely locks any more because I've thickened my grip. Also had to go to mid sized and jumbo sized grips on my golf clubs.
    Riding long distances is much improved now.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Three suggestions: 1. Foam grip covers. 2. Loose hands on the grips. 3. Align Cramp Buster so that when you are at your average speeds, the backs of your hands are parallel with your forearms. 4. (I lied) When sleeping, do not have your wrist bent - sleep with wrists straight.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    I have the same problem with arthritis in my hands along with a trigger finger that locks on occasion. I ordered the slip on foam grips and use gel padded half gloves. Together they make the cramping and pain tolerable. Trigger finger rarely locks any more because I've thickened my grip. Also had to go to mid sized and jumbo sized grips on my golf clubs.
    Riding long distances is much improved now.
    I got the shots in both hands for trigger finger. Dr. said it should last for life. I have had situations that felt like it was about to lock up again, but didn’t. PS. Man did those shots hurt! cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Without knowing the exact CAUSE of your discomfort, suggesting ways to alleviate it would be rather pointless.

You nailed it.

Spyder Garage

All those that mentioned a wrap or glove or any compressive treatment will help while wearing it. Then, Like Easy Rider said, OTC anti-inflammatory, and the dr.

As for shots, I've never heard of one that last a life time. The last time I talked to an orthopedists, some shots last up to six months, and there can be side effects. Then, there is my old favorite, exercise, which everyone of my patients would get from me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

I think the OP wants to know whether there are mechanical aids not medication. Of course I could be wrong.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I think the OP wants to know whether there are mechanical aids not medication. Of course I could be wrong.
    Based on the topic heading, and the poster's last sentence in the original post, it sounds to me that the OP is looking for help during and after the ride, regarding arthritis and pain. That is just my best guess.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doctor told me my shots for trigger finger would last for life. Maybe he knows something I don’t! cueman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    OP here .. Yes, I was looking for mechanical aids and/or riding techniques - not medication. BTW - it's been diagnosed as osteo-arthritis.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone!
    Bert

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm at the age where arthritis is creeping into my hands and wrists. So, I find it a bit painful to adjust the throttle while riding after awhile, and the pain lingers long after the ride as well. I use a "cramp buster" but cramping is no longer the issue - the issue now is pain. So, I'm wondering whether there are any after-market gizmos available that others with this same issue use?

I know that cruise control is available, but I ride mostly back country roads that are twisty, so my speed constantly fluctuates which makes cruise control impractical.

So does anyone have anything to recommend for my situation?
    Thanks!
    YES, THROTTLEMEISTER
    Dave

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I got the shots in both hands for trigger finger. Dr. said it should last for life. I have had situations that felt like it was about to lock up again, but didn’t. PS. Man did those shots hurt! cueman
    Mine hurt so bad I am welling to put up with the pain rather than get the shots again....
    PS they don't last for life..

Spyder Garage

Cortisone may help in the short term. Like many, I have had numerous sports injuries and multiple surgeries for them. One, to my right shoulder required a 6 hr surgery and over two years rehab to simply place my right arm where I wanted it. Five years later I was benching 350. Then 10 years later it became so painful I had to sleep in a bean bag chair for support. Laying flat was out of the question.

Long story short. One day watching the news a medical reporter on ch. 7 LA(Denise Dador) did a report on an actor who had spent untold dollars trying to alleviate or lesson his pain. He found it, but not through a DR. A health and nutrition supplement person turned him on to a body producing chemical that he could boost in his system. In less than six weeks he was pain free. This was back in the late 80"s. With nothing to lose and a lot to gain, I tried it and was pain free in under 4 weeks, and have remained so.

If interested I'll share what I know. If not...that's Okay too.

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue, with a touch of Carpole tunnel thrown in. I placed a throttle buddy on both handle bars to support my wrist, also a great way to relax your grip which agrevates the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I prefer this version...since the paddle is a bit shorter/wider than the one Highwayman posted...
    https://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-C...H402ZV1H5JGC8Q

Newbert...
    Can you be more specific about your issue? Where are you having pain? Fingers? Palm? Thumb?
    I personally have soreness, which becomes pain, in the thick area below each of my thumbs...mainly due to years of keyboard work.
    For computing, I've used one of these Carpal Tunnel wrist supports, but it's got hard plastic above and below the wrist, so I've not tried it on the Spyder, thinking that it will minimize my ability to twist my wrist.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wellgate-Wome...000GHG3RG?th=1

On the bike, I use the Crampbuster CB4 version, which puts the paddle on the outer edge of my right hand (think below my left pinkie and ring finger), so no pressure is added below thumb. That plus the Grip Puppies from ****led offer a decent amount of relief for most days, but not all, and not for longer rides.

I am looking into supplementing with these Copper-fit Compression Gloves...
    https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Compre.../dp/B00ZO4WW7Q

Good luck finding a solution or combination that works for you!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Newbert...
    Can you be more specific about your issue? Where are you having pain? Fingers? Palm? Thumb?......
    FWIW, Specifically, most of my pain is in the middle and ring fingers of each hand.
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Cortisone may help in the short term. Like many, I have had numerous sports injuries and multiple surgeries for them. One, to my right shoulder required a 6 hr surgery and over two years rehab to simply place my right arm where I wanted it. Five years later I was benching 350. Then 10 years later it became so painful I had to sleep in a bean bag chair for support. Laying flat was out of the question.

Long story short. One day watching the news a medical reporter on ch. 7 LA(Denise Dador) did a report on an actor who had spent untold dollars trying to alleviate or lesson his pain. He found it, but not through a DR. A health and nutrition supplement person turned him on to a body producing chemical that he could boost in his system. In less than six weeks he was pain free. This was back in the late 80"s. With nothing to lose and a lot to gain, I tried it and was pain free in under 4 weeks, and have remained so.

If interested I'll share what I know. If not...that's Okay too.
    Yes - please share! I'm all ears....
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Yes - please share! I'm all ears....
    MSM - It's widely used in the alternative medicine field and by people looking for a natural way to relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation and boost immunity.

Recommend buying it in capsule form. You can get it in pressed pill form(at Walmart) but it's a horse pill. Best bought at a Vitamin Store or similar outlet.

FWIW - I have read studies on if it was harmful in any way and the conclusion was that it is no more harmful than water.

How to take: as recommended to me back in the 80's.

For the first six weeks take one pill(1000mg) for every 100 lbs of body weight, twice a day. Typically 2000mg morning and 2000mg at night. I weigh 235 and took 2000mg 2X a day.

You will know whether or not it is working within the first month.

After six weeks reduce to 1000mg morning and night for 3 months.

After that and only if you're having a flare up. Repeat the initial dosage amount and length of time.

Personally, I was stunned and surprised at the results.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/msm-supplements

If you try it I hope it does for you what it did for me.