Spyder Garage

Default Rally Front Shock Positioning

I just noticed on my stock Rally with the KYB shocks, one shock is mounted with the adjuster on top, the other is positioned with the adjuster on the bottom. Should they both be positioned on top?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

They should both be oriented the same way; adjuster at the top. Sounds like somebody goofed.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kmonroe99 View Post
    I just noticed on my stock Rally with the KYB shocks, one shock is mounted with the adjuster on top, the other is positioned with the adjuster on the bottom. Should they both be positioned on top?

Thanks
    Wow! This boarders on the pathetic! With the KYB shocks on the Rally, the spring should be down and the adjuster on top of the spring.

thumbnail_IMG_1667.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Wow! This borders on the pathetic! With the KYB shocks on the Rally, the spring should be down and the adjuster on top of the spring.
    In practice I doubt that anyone, even the most experienced of us, would be able to notice any difference.

Since all shocks at this level are "gas-charged" (what a misnomer) they will function the same in either position.

In effect, every damping device with a metal shaft which goes in and out of a cylinder needs air space to allow for the reduced volume inside the cylinder when the shaft goes in (because the extra shaft length inside takes takes up a certain amount of space inside).

Because liquid is not compressible the cylinder cannot be filled with oil when the shaft is extended - the maximum amount of oil that can be added is when the shaft is fully inside the cylinder. When the shaft is extended the extra volume has to be filled with something. Gas (it used to be air) is very suitable for this purpose since it readily compresses and decompresses.

To stop the gas mixing with the oil and lessening the damping through cavitation it is placed inside an elastic sac which is inserted in the body (the cylinder) of the shock in such a way that it takes up all the available space that the oil does not fill. Consequently a gas-charged shock will work properly in either position. The pressure in the sac helps force the oil through its network of passages and orifices.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid