Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So what did they do replace it with a used gauge?

If so it should have replaced with New and would have had zero miles on it. Then would have to be disclosed that is was not actual miles if sold as mentioned above.

Did your invoice have a mileage when brought to the shop on the paperwork?

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do....

Simply make up a sticker indicatinting mileage at change of cluster and place it under the seat on the frame.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Laws vary by state on this.

In Nevada if a instrument cluster is replaced under warranty the factory must program it with
    the same mileage as the old.

If its out of warranty the replacement can read 0 or whatever if it was used and you
    are suppose to disclose the actual mileage at time of sale.

Now this is with autos, Motorcycles might be different or no regulations at all.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Nothing illegal about it. The odo wasn't altered it was replaced due to failure. Why should BRP have to keep track of your mileage? What if you bought the part and changed it yourself or what if the odo stopped working and you just didn't get it repaired? Would that be BRP's fault as well? Ride it, enjoy it, and once in awhile do some simple math.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Simply make up a sticker indicatinting mileage at change of cluster and place it under the seat one frame.

Hey Chupaca, did you ever consider becoming a Rocket Scientist?

jk

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speaking of rockets, if we can send rockets to the moon and Mars, why can’t Canam preset the odometer? cueman

Spyder Garage

When you sell the vehicle you must declare that the mileage shown is not the true actual mileage. That statement will be added to the vehicle title forever. This may affect the value of the vehicle for a future buyer. Therefore, it is important for you to maintain documentation to support what the actual mileage is. In addition, you can demonstrate why the mileage is not actual to any future buyer (the odometer was replaced). PITA but no alternative..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also, you may want to keep the service order for proof. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Speaking of rockets, if we can send rockets to the moon and Mars, why can’t Canam preset the odometer? cueman

cueman, he's not the first Spyder rider to have had their speedo replaced. It has been reported here(over the years), at least several times. Beating up on Can Am/BRP for doing what the laws of your state allow, won't fix the problem. Only he can do that. He should take Chupaca's suggestion close his seat go for a ride, and hope that's the worst thing that ever happens to his Spyder.

FWIW I'm far from a BRP fan boy. But, facts are facts.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I got my ace back today, they replaced the multifuction gauge, brake reservoir kit and handlebar clamp screw. But it had over 7,000 miles on it when I dropped it off. It had 16 miles when I got it back. As far as I know it is illegal to change odometer mileage for any reason . I should be transferred with new gauge. I will do some more checking next week. Any thoughts?
    There's always common sense reasons for exceptions to laws. Replacing a faulty gauge is one. It's illegal to knowingly change an odometer for fraudulent reasons. That's why you were given paperwork.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as I know it is illegal to change odometer mileage for any reason . I should be transferred with new gauge. I will do some more checking next week. Any thoughts?
    Your thought is wrong.
    Some repairs, like replacement of the odometer mechanism, will effectively reset it to 0......and there is no easy mechanism provided to "update" it to the old number.

What IS illegal is for you to lie when marking the box on the title transfer where is says something like "The indicated mileage is the actual mileage."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is just unacceptable to me.
    Too bad.
    ALL vehicles work that way.
    You can either make yourself sick about it........or just move on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    If you sell it YOU are to disclose the actual mileage.
    Actually that is not really true.
    All you are obligated to report is what you KNOW, which is that the number shown on the ODO is not the actual total mileage.
    And if you don't know that, you have no real "obligation" at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Legally speaking if the dealer or anyone else turns back an Odometer they are committing a crime ……. Mike - ( an x-Leo )…...
    It is not like the old days where there were mechanical odometers and they could simply put a drill on it and run it backwards overnight!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think it should be my responsibility to remember and or keep a piece of paper because can am didn't figure out a way to transfer mileage. I am honest but what if someone else is not. Plus it is really annoying to have to keep track of mileage for maintenance. It is just unacceptable to me.
    The dealer did say they can keep track of hours on the machine, not much help to me.
    It's not illegal. We had the cluster changed on our 2012 RTL and got a paper showing the original reading when the cluster was changed. Put the paper with the registration or title add 7,000 miles to your oil change number, and ride it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Well you all know that in these situations the only information that re-appears is the total numder of hours the engine has been run. This I suspect comes from the computers on the spyder. If so, why not store the mileage as well... because this would allow underhanded folks to change the mileage like the old times with a electric drill on the Speedo cable. I would also suspect that BRP would not be interested in dealing with the possibility of messing up existing mileage so they leave the burden of proof to the owner/owner to be...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The information could be sent to brp over a network (per vin #) and they could program a new cluster before it is shipped. The dealers would not have the ability to change any crucial info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The information could be sent to brp over a network (per vin #) and they could program a new cluster before it is shipped. The dealers would not have the ability to change any crucial info.
    Which would delay shipment of new parts even more.

AND.....in a short time, scammers would get the information necessary to make changes out in the field......just like they have done with EVERY OTHER piece of technology that exists today (with the possible exception of military only things).

So, the vehicle makers design them so that NOBODY can "turn them back" without destroying them and the various governments understand that.
    Now YOU need to understand that too.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No thanks, I don't want to wait one to two months for that to happen. I'll just do it like the rest of the country does.........report it on the title when I sell or trade it. Just like the law says.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Which would delay shipment of new parts even more.

AND.....in a short time, scammers would get the information necessary to make changes out in the field......just like they have done with EVERY OTHER piece of technology that exists today (with the possible exception of military only things).

So, the vehicle makers design them so that NOBODY can "turn them back" without destroying them and the various governments understand that.
    Now YOU need to understand that too.
    But the auto manufactures are able to program the mileage on there clusters, had it done a couple times, it was mandatory before they would even sell a new one.

Lets hope they have some kind of security in place. Maybe they are designed where they can only add mileage and never reverse it.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

you're sweating minor details, please tell me that you are not going to lose sleep over this, simple state that there was work done on it, and they installed a new gauge, tell them the actual true mileage when you sell the bike as stated on your gauge. what is the big deal?
    2008 GS SMS 5 , stock stock silver black

Spyder Garage

So why were the speedo and steering stem replaced?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    So why were the speedo and steering stem replaced?
    It kept going into limp mode, the said it was not communicating with the speed sensors.

Spyder Garage

Hard to believe that Can Am or any manufacturer for that matter cant put the current mileage in a new speedo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Hard to believe that Can Am or any manufacturer for that matter cant put the current mileage in a new speedo
    Liability issue. Better to have all replacements go out with zero miles than to make an error trying to exactly match one. This way Can Am is out of the loop when it comes time to attest to the true and actual mileage of the vehicle. The onus is entirely on the bike's owner..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi