Spyder Garage

Default Does mean the learning curve is over?

I have only had the Spyder 2 months. When I first got it I took it very easy and really had no confidence, especially when I saw curves approaching. Well today was a perfect day for a ride. I left early and planned to be on the road all day. Every time I looked down at the speedometer I was going about 15-20 mph over the speed limit! I had to laugh and ask myself: Does this mean the learning curve is over

Spyder Garage

I'd think it's more likely that you've just made it past the early 'jitters' and lack of confidence cos it was 'new to you', and now that you're comfortable with it & have a reasonable handle on the basics, you'll move on with learning the finer points of getting the best (for you) from your Spyder and further improving/finessing your skills & abilities.

I guess I'm really just saying that you shouldn't ever stop learning - the learning thing should continue, altho maybe at a gradually slower rate, 'til the day you die; cos if you don't keep learning then you're just stagnating & becoming more hide-bound & moribund!

Remember that old but ever-lasting pearl of wisdom:

"You don't stop ryding because you get old, you get old because you stop ryding!"

Now you can really start learning to enjoy the miles of smiles!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I have only had the Spyder 2 months. When I first got it I took it very easy and really had no confidence, especially when I saw curves approaching. Well today was a perfect day for a ride. I left early and planned to be on the road all day. Every time I looked down at the speedometer I was going about 15-20 mph over the speed limit! I had to laugh and ask myself: Does this mean the learning curve is over
    Or, it could mean..............

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Or, it could mean..............
    Yes, that is a concern now
    And I shouldn't say the learning is over, it's just that today seemed to be the day where everything I was thinking about and worried about came easily. Does anyone else remember the day that happened?

Spyder Garage

Yes, that is a concern now
    And I shouldn't say the learning is over, it's just that today seemed to be the day where everything I was thinking about and worried about came easily. Does anyone else remember the day that happened?
    Oh heck yes! My first ride on a Spyder was when I picked mine up in Bossier La. and rode it to La Quinta Ca.. Somewhere around 1500 miles, in two days. We got to know each other fairly quick.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

When I told our ryde leader the same thing he said that if you have time to look down at the speedo while in a twistie, you're not going fast enough. I still look cuz I've only got about 1000 miles of Arkansas twisties under my belt and wifey on the back, even though she's usually sleeping back there leaning the wrong way due to inertia.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It means you forgot to set the cruise control!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    When I told our ryde leader the same thing he said that if you have time to look down at the speedo while in a twistie, you're not going fast enough. I still look cuz I've only got about 1000 miles of Arkansas twisties under my belt and wifey on the back, even though she's usually sleeping back there leaning the wrong way due to inertia.
    When I first read this, I read it as "wifey on MY back".
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats for moving up the learning curve. Now you can relax and enjoy it more, while constantly improving your skills.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You and every ryder should take the National Safety Foundation Riders Course. I've been riding a very long time. With the Spyder, I was not doing well riding it. It didn't lean. The course taught me how to ride. Since, I've had fun and no worries...

Spyder Garage

The learning curve is over when they're scraping you up and putting your parts in a plastic bag. Speed control is a critical riding skill. What you described tells me you have just now gotten used to operating the Spyder. That's phase 1 of the learning curve.

Spyder Garage

When you get past the jitters and are comfortable with the overall operation of the , Your getting up there on the learning curve. We all know that we never stop learning and developing our skills. Hopefully we never stop learning.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    When I first read this, I read it as "wifey on MY back".
    Well, when she's awake back there she "Back Seat Drives Me Crazy" and sometimes I just hafta turn off the intercom on our helmets.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think the learning curve is ever actually 'Over'. But it does level out a great deal after about 1,000 - 1,500 miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't think the learning curve is ever actually 'Over'. But it does level out a great deal after about 1,000 - 1,500 miles.
    That's right where I am