Spyder Garage

Default buying out of warranty

i have read the success and horror stories of everything from assembly to B.R.P cares and all the many riders that have gone miles above and beyond me in the saddle and on this forum, so now i find myself in the situation of finding the bike i like at the price i like but the original warranty expired this month so experts please tell me if i can still get a B.E.S.T? i called Burts since i got my RSS from them and without the VIN they can't run the bike to tell me i asked the owner who may be a member on here to contact their local dealer for info and now i wait and stare at all the gear and mods that may be to come. so in worst case scenario and no warranty is available would you buy a f3s with higher miles

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth...I had an extended two year warranty and never needed to use it on my 2014, 1330 RT-S.

Due diligence is important. Get it checked, run the VIN for the history.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

is there anything i should be looming out for in the 1330?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have a 1330 RT, originally I had three years warranty …. after it expired I didn't re-new …. I didn't have any warranty issues after the first year .... good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

thank you for your advice

Spyder Garage

Not having anything like your B.E.S.T. extended warranties over here in Aus, so we don't get that particular choice, it still seems that there aren't too many Aussie buyers of 'previously owned' Spyders who've been burnt by their 2nd hand purchases, which hasta say something for Spyders overall reliability & usability..... And while we're on that B.E.S.T. thing, don't you hafta get that up & running BEFORE the factory warranty expires? So if the warranty on the Spyder you're interested in has expired already, that particular horse has already bolted!

Still, I'm a firm believer that Forums & other 'internet communities' like this simply don't really and very likely can't ever provide a good picture of how happy or otherwise the entire Spyder Owning/Ryding population actually is with their rides, as the majority of posters to these places is always going to be those people with a particular problem or concern - meaning that even using the pre-internet era 'rule of thumb' measure that says 'if someone has a good experience with something, they'll tell maybe 1 or 2 others; but if they have a bad experience, they'll tell at least 15 others' then by looking at the number of threads & posters here, you'd hafta consider that even extrapolating conservatively, there's gotta be a whole heap of fairly happy Spyder Owner/Ryders out there making up 'the silent majority' of the Spyder Owning/Ryding population!

So the likelihood of your particular Spyder choice being a pretty good buy is fairly high, but as others have said, you've still gotta do your 'normal' due diligence checks, starting out by getting the VIN run by any Spyder or Can Am Dealer to see if there's anything outstanding in its history & that all the appropriate updates have been done! After ticking that particular box & getting the correct answers to the rest of your due diligence checks, it pretty much comes back to:

'You know you want to, so just buy the damn bike!' followed swiftly by racking up some miles of smiles as you:

'Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I just bought a used 2015 RTS. It had no warranty. Of course I could’ve bought an extended warranty from the dealer. The first extended warranty was expensive. It was over $2300 for two years. They went down to $1000 for one year but that one did not cover much. They said it was not the gold warranty but only the bronze. I did not get it. Sometimes these guys rake you over the coals to get in something you might not need. I took the gamble of not getting it. I Love the bike. Fun ride for sure.
    Last edited by Hentch; 07-12-2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Bad sentence

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I would definitely want the extended warranty, the 15 F3 had some issues with the front sprockets. I have had extended warranties on my Spyders and they have paid off both in needed repairs and it also helps from a resale perspective.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

do you think brp will allow me to purchase one this month

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Need2ride View Post
    i have read the success and horror stories of everything from assembly to B.R.P cares and all the many riders that have gone miles above and beyond me in the saddle and on this forum, so now i find myself in the situation of finding the bike i like at the price i like but the original warranty expired this month so experts please tell me if i can still get a B.E.S.T? i called Burts since i got my RSS from them and without the VIN they can't run the bike to tell me i asked the owner who may be a member on here to contact their local dealer for info and now i wait and stare at all the gear and mods that may be to come. so in worst case scenario and no warranty is available would you buy a f3s with higher miles
    You will find the VIN number right there on the registration, the title, and bill of sale. on any California vechicle