Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Hello all & Thanks for all the replies both positive and negative. All my comments are 100% factual in every respect. My only focus in writing the article is only to help other riders understand the Ryker’s weaknesses.

All these problem are open and visible to anyone, you don’t have to read my report to easily confirm these for yourself.

Regards - Mike
    I normally take what reviewers say about things with more than just a grain of salt. That goes for car, bike, and even movie reviews.
    But in this case, for me (being a bigger guy at 6'-2", 255 pounds) I feel you are right on with the review. I was not impressed at all with the ryker. For me, it was also just too small and cheap feeling. But on the other hand, I would love to convince the wife to give the 600 a try. For her smaller size and weight, along with her limited use of the vehicle, it would probably be perfect. If we have one in my garage, I will definitely drive it. But since that is not going to happen, I will possibly pick up a used RSS for running errands one day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Bad to The Bone!

Hey guys - While a bit off topic, as I mentioned in my review comparing the Ryker's CVT verses a Dual Clutch Transmission, Honda just introduced the first Dual Clutch Transmission in a side by side.

Just for information purposes, here's a short video showing the Dual Clutch Transmission application in the Honda Pioneer. You can skip to 1:30 for the tranny if you like, however this is a pretty interesting machine it even offers electronic steering as well.

I'm just hoping that BRP adapts this technology to the Spyder line since it would drastically improve their bikes.

Enjoy- Mike
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is another animation showing the Honda dual clutch transmission on a bike. I'm not exactly clear. Are you saying the dual clutch will be smoother than the BRP SE6 tranny? I see the dual clutch system has the ability to be shifted with a paddle or set in automatic mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9PzGhAfgIw

Spyder Garage

A few years ago, while I was vacationing in Alaska, I took two Off Road Day Tours, with Off Road ATVs, Side by Sides with Steering Wheels, with my wife. The first day Tour was with the latest Kawasaki ATVs, which I thought were pretty hot. UNTIL the following day, when our Group all had the latest TomCar ATVs. TomCars are really Kick Butt Off Road Tanks!! We were driving 40-45 MPH over 6-8 inch rocks, and thru mud holes wide open. These Vehicles were originally Israeli Vehicles, with Machine Guns mounted on the backs with Israeli Military using them for patrolling, we were told. They are now available for Civilians, and I doubt they have any formadable Competitors, including Honda.

https://youtu.be/08t_D1uCh84

007James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-10-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This is still off topic, but just in case any one, especially Off Roaders with Rykers ready to go off road, over rocks and through mud holes, here is the Link to my Alaska TomCar Tour. I was driving, and my wife did a few short video clips with her phone and put it on Youtube later. Actually, these were older TomCars than present, because this was in Aug 2012, so 7 years ago! But these TomCars kicked Butt, even then, as compared to the much less powerful and slower Kawasaki we took the next day.

https://youtu.be/akT8OqJKNJo

007James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-10-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post

Hey guys - While a bit off topic, as I mentioned in my review comparing the Ryker's CVT verses a Dual Clutch Transmission, Honda just introduced the first Dual Clutch Transmission in a side by side.

I'm just hoping that BRP adapts this technology to the Spyder line since it would drastically improve their bikes.

Enjoy- Mike
    I have a space cleared in the garage for a TalonR when I can wangle it.
    Spyder would be awesome with dct, maybe make it available in the Daytona as an ongoing performance model in the lineup for the rev heads.
    Ryker could be similar only with optional cvt packs depending on the configuration chosen at purchase or retrofit.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

My local shop told me today that every Ryker they sold has has come back with drive-line coupling problems. Has anyone resolved the problem as of yet?

Thanks
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

One thing about the Ryker, style-wise, if you want a red one, you get a black Ryker with a red front cover. If you want a green one, likewise. No color-keyed fenders or any other body parts. Seems kind of cheap to me. At least it looks better than the three-wheeled hot tub known as the Slingshot.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now that I own a Ryker I’d like to counter some facts that the original poster talks about. The Ryker was built to be entry level and as such will never be fitted with premium things unless the owner adds them. The steering seems a little touchy to me. It should be remedied in a few days with a front end alignment. Why Spyder transmissions were compared to Honda transmissions is really off topic. The CVT works fine for me and a little clunk every now and then doesn’t bother me. I’m sure it will smooth out as the Ryker breaks in. I actually like the sporty ride of my Rally and will be exploring after market tires and a sway bar. What someone thinks of the looks are not facts, they are opinions. If an entry level ride isn’t for you, don’t buy it. I looked at the Ryker because of the price and after a test ride I decided to buy the Rally for the extras you get for $1000. I think it will fit in my garage just fine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

You can also get panels wrapped or hydro-dipped.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Spyders were first introduced in 2007... from the Can-am Website... June 2017 was the 10 year celebration...Jay Leno got Spyder #1 in October 2007. As I said in an earlier post, people who buy one will like it. I think he was comparing the DCT transmission in the Goldwing to the CVT transmission in the Ryker. As I mentioned... the Ryker is like buying a Harley Street 700. Yes one gets the name but ones experience (as you mentioned with the entry level remark) will hopefully get one to upgrade.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/owner...-the-road.html
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

I was mistaken about 2007.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Just my 2 cents worth. My wife rides a 09 Spyder, and I purchased a 900 ACE. I prefer the non-power steering of my Ryker. Her Spyder is "twitchy" to me on the road. Even worse on wet roads.

The Ryker was the first bike in years that caught my attention as I was walking through a motorcycle showroom. I an definitely pleased with my purchase.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Good write up, BUT the problem with it is that you are not basing it upon what the Ryker is but what it isn't....a Spider. I have owned Harleys; a Road King, a Softail and a Sportster. To compare them with each other instead of just what they are, is ludicrous. I still have my Softail because I prefer it over the others. I had fun on the Sportster, but it was a bit small is length. The Road King was a great long ride, on the highway but I did not like it on my mountain rides where I enjoyed the curves more with my Softail. Each was made for different purposes. Touring, cruising and sport. To get back to the Ryker, I bought one because it was NOT a Spider. I bought one because it reminds me of riding my two wheeler. I bought it because I want the same feeling as a two wheeler but having three wheels and NO shifting, I do not have to worry about it falling over because of my weak leg or having to endure the pain from the clutch when shifting with my left hand, which is due for two surgeries. My wife liked the Spider, but I did not. My preference and my opinion, just like you like yours. In my opinion, I did not even consider buying a Spider because of the bulk of it. It felt more like sitting high in a convertible car. Same as I did not like my Road King compared to my Softail, too bulky and heavy. Since I have never owned a Spider, I can not compare the driving or comfort. I have a Ryker and for the money, I have a basic blank canvas for personalizing it to fit my personality. It works fine for me. It took me a bit to get used to the steering of two front wheels with a handlebar, but I have driven four wheel ATVs in the past, so it was not totally foreign to me.
    Even though I appreciate your critique of the Ryker, I failed to see the reason for it. You like your Spider, and you did not like the Ryker....OK. I do not know what your real reason for your hit list, UNLESS you are attempting to sway folks from buying one. It would be like me writing about the shortcomings of a Harley Sportster based on how much I like my Softail. It is all a matter of preference, not what it does not have.
    If I wanted a Spider, I would have purchased one a long time ago. I didn't like it. I don't like convertible cars either. It is my preference, not based on what something has or does not have. By the way, I also do not like caramel syrup on my ice cream. That does not make it bad, I just don't like it.
    Your hit list is not bad, just redundant and in my opinion not in good taste on a Ryker owners forum. I have no idea what your real motivation is, but I suggest that anyone that is considering the purchase of a Ryker to think about what they are looking for and how much they are willing to pay for it, rather than looking at what the Ryker does not have and does not offer.
    BUT, if you are weighing the purchase of a Spider versus a Ryker then this OP's post is an excellent comparison. Mostly weighted toward the Spider, but still.........

Spyder Garage

So your the guy that bought the Honda NM4!

Spyder Garage

Wow! I am really torn with these Rykers. On one side I am really interested in owning one BUT I test rode a Rally Edition and hated the handling on the highway. To be fair I've never owned a 3 wheeler. Now, considering how reviews and so 180 degrees out of phase one thing I am at least partially but highly convinced of is that these some of these Rykers have a serious factory defect or quality control issue. It would seem some might have loose or poorly aligned suspension components which I suspect on the one I rode and where some other reviewers hated these things on the highway. For the life of me I can't see where someone could ride the one I rode and say it handled great at highway speeds. What do you guys think? Could it be that proper ones properly aligned and setup from the factory are the ones people are happy and ones which are not are the ones people like me just can't see riding on the highway for more than a couple miles?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3WRDR View Post
    Wow! I am really torn with these Rykers. On one side I am really interested in owning one BUT I test rode a Rally Edition and hated the handling on the highway. To be fair I've never owned a 3 wheeler. Now, considering how reviews and so 180 degrees out of phase one thing I am at least partially but highly convinced of is that these some of these Rykers have a serious factory defect or quality control issue. It would seem some might have loose or poorly aligned suspension components which I suspect on the one I rode and where some other reviewers hated these things on the highway. For the life of me I can't see where someone could ride the one I rode and say it handled great at highway speeds. What do you guys think? Could it be that proper ones properly aligned and setup from the factory are the ones people are happy and ones which are not are the ones people like me just can't see riding on the highway for more than a couple miles?
    I note this is your first post. The thread above is from July of 2019. The last post above was September 2019. There are many other threads on the subject. Don't base your opinion on just this one thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

after 10.000 miles - I would say the first thing is to change the "hanging" Handlebars to much higher Superbike / Cross style ones ..this changed my ryding significant positiv .. the front is now stable also on higher speeds, much easier to handle in the curves and I have the feeling that the front shocks have less stress than before .. she feels now like a new Bike ..(took used cheap Handlebars from an Aprilia) !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats