Spyder Garage

Default RT fuel economy/range

I'm from the other side of the globe based in New Zealand and I own a 2016/17 vegas pearl white 1330 RT and whilst fuel economy is not a major concern, it still is a topic that I am interested in. I saw in the sales info that BRP claimed a fuel range of 250miles (400Kms), this was a welcomed feature from my previous RS Spyder, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to pan out that way. The best I have achieved is 200 miles with no bars showing and the fuel light on. I ride with a friend who owns a 2015 F3 which has the same engine and what I believe is the same capacity fuel tank and he consistently obtains 250mile + range, and that's when we are riding and cruising together. Admittedly the RT is pushing a little more surface wind area and possibly carrying more weight, but I thought not at the expense of 50+miles in range. I talked to our local dealer and he said that the fuel mapping maybe different between the bikes with the RT producing torque lower down, I however struggle with this as you would have thought if the torque was being produced at presumably mid range cruising speeds, then it would be more fuel efficient. He then went on to say that maybe we could remap the fuel system accordingly, but when I spoke to the mechanics about this, they were reluctant to consider this. ( I think that this type of work was beyond their capabilities anyway). It would be interesting to talk with the BRP gurus around this subject, whether there is any truth in different torque curves between the RT and F3, but I am having trouble finding the right people and addresses to ask about this. The cost of fuel over here is worth mentioning as we are paying $2:30 per Litre, so I understand that a US gallon is 3.9L, thus a gallon is worth $8:97. Would anybody know of a subject matter expert in this field that I could at least chew the fat with so to speak...…..Morris Jones
    2016 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You are in the ballpark for a 1330 RT. I have a 2014 1330 RT-S. My fuel light will go on somewhere between 200 and 210 pretty consistently...if I let it go that long.

The claims of 250 miles per gallon are when driving one up, less than 55 mph, going downhill, a 20mph plus wind at your back, and good luck in your tank.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mine is very consistent at 40MPG as long as I am on secondary roads (not interstate speeds) and am driving "normally. The MPG will go down with speed and/or friskiness on the throttle. I usually start looking for fuel at 180 miles. The light will come on right at about 200-210 miles and I have well over a gallon left in the tank when it does..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

A friend on an F3 and I rode 242 miles today from Loveland, CO to Goodland, KS at speeds mostly in the 65 mph range on good roads, no interstates. My low fuel light came on with 42 miles left to our destination. About 20 miles from our destination I slowed to 58 mph as did my friend. At our destination I filled up putting in 6.3 gal. for an average of 38.5 mpg while my friend put in 5.8 gal. for 41.7 mpg. The 6.3 gal. is the most I have ever put in my Spyder in 59K+ miles and I don't think I'll stretch it that far again.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S