Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Wiring - How long did it take to complete?

Looking to build my confidence level here to tackle this - For those of you (like me) that are NOT familiar with removing ALL the panels (primarily the rear panels) that are required to install the trailer wiring harness in an RTL Spyder (in my case a 2014), how long did it really take for you to complete this total job? Did you do it alone or with help?

I have watched a few of the you-tube videos on this and I would like to do it myself and save $$ (plus, I'm not sure my dealer has the experience anyway), but it would be me working alone.

Not looking for sympathy here Just inputs from "doers" on complexity and time involved.

Thanks in advance.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I did it on my 2018 F3L. The wiring is similar but the panels and top box are different. The disassembly took about 30 minutes the first time, about 15 minutes the second time. I write about the second time because the plug and play harness I purchased had a part that had been updated without notice so I had to reassemble everything and spend some time with a parts man at the dealer guessing what the revised part number might be and then wait for the order to come in.

Anyway, the second time the disassembly took 15 - 20 minutes, another 10 minutes determining the correct connections to unplug and connect, and at least an hour fishing the trailer end connection down through too small a hole to pop out near the hitch rail beneath the pannier. Reassembly was 15 minutes or less.

This was using the Can Am plug play trailer wiring harness. It wasn't hard but the fishing part and the wrong parts mess made it a pain in the rear.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Hello Ray, I recently added a trailer hitch and wire harness on my 2015 RT. I bought the hitch from Pierre (Can-Am Spyder Accessories). I needed a 5 pin flat plug for my trailer so I got the Show Chrome wire harness. The hitch itself is a piece of cake and only takes 5-10 minutes to install. The wire harness is isolated from the bike so I had to run leads to the battery. I ran the wires to the battery through a loom so that took awhile. Taking the back panels off can be a little tricky but not too bad. Pierre has a great video on doing this and helped a lot on what to watch for as you take off and put back on. I also ran the plug a little different. I didn't like the looks of the wire hanging down from the saddlebag area and along the hitch so I drilled a hole by the license plate light, installed a bracket and attached the plug. For me it works out well. IMG_0262.jpg

PM me if you have any questions and I can try and help.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you’re installing the factory harness it isn’t too bad. You need to remove the back panel and the 3 screws that hold the mudflap. When you lift your seat you will need to remove the two screws at the top of the panel so that you can lift the plastic piece where the passenger sensor is.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622