Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT-S used...now what?

Ok so I’m waiting on the delivery of a 2012 RT-S and wanted to know what updates and upgrades need to be done to the bike? I’m concerned with the major items that are a must-do but would also like to know the should-do’s as well from other 2012 owners.

Thanks
    Steve
    2012 RT-S SM5 , Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

a dealer could give you the info for the bikes history ….. could … however if the past owner / owners did all their own maintenance …. it won't be recorded in BUDS …. if you tell us the mileage that would be very helpful ….. mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Sscheitel. If this is your first Spyder you should take time and read this. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners. Now make sure and post a photo in the Spyder Garage area of the forum when you get your new ride home.. Enjoy the ride and keep us all up to date on how things are going. You will figure out what you need after you ride a bit.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 07-11-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

What he said! Then, while it's nice to hear what everyone else has done, I still reckon it's best to ride the thing yourself for a while, and see what YOU think it needs!

Now the basic've been covered, while my ride is a 2013 RT, some things are still pretty common across the board.... many if not most of us will look at upgrading the under-body protection with a bump-skid or similar; improving the Spyder's roll resistance & help both your cornering AND your straight line stability by fitting a better anti-sway bar (from BajaRon maybe? He's a vendor/supporter here who sells some pretty great sway bars & heaps of other cool gear ); maybe even tossing the crappy Kendas that for many are at best, problematic, & fitting some 'better' tires in just about all measurable aspects from the wider range of Passenger car tires in 'close to standard' sizes that are available out there; & cos it's an RT & just about everything in the way of maintenance involves removing the mirrors first, fitting a set of Magic Mirror Mounts in place of the flimsy plastic & wire OE mounts... but the list of possible upgrades & farkles only grows from there, and who knows, since it's a 2012 RT, it's likely been ridden a little already and some of this stuff or any extended list may already have been done... You've simply gotta get it, climb aboard, have a ride, try to relax your grip on the bars, drop your shoulders & elbows, lean into the corners a bit as you steer around them, and see what you reckon about it all! Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyder Ryding & the Miles of Smiles that it brings!

Over to you! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for the kind words of encouragement.

Blue - has 10k miles gotten from iMotorsports

https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...OwnedInventory

Check out the pics and maybe you can see what’s been done.

Copper - I’ll def give that link a thorough read and of course post a pic in the forums garage.

Peter - def going to ride it a bit before doing anything. Great advice on all!!

Hopefully have it I. About a week

Spyder Garage

Sscheitel, looks like a nice bike in good shape. The only add on I see are a small ball mount and a heal shifter. The ball mount was probably for a phone and the heal shifter looks like it was home made and you may want to take that off if you ride two up, looks close to the passenger floorboard, but the bike looks real nice! I don't think you will need to do anything to it for while unless you decide to add something later.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Definitely ride it for a while before deciding on what to add/remove. I got mine about a month ago and haven't doen anything to it yet. But there's several things the PO put on that I'll be removing, and one or two things I'd like to add.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Just poking around looking for driver floor board options. Are the web boards no longer available?

Website appears to be inactive.

Also what options do I have for driver floor boards for the SM5 (manual) RT-S?

Spyder Garage

can someone recommend floor board?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't suggest floor boards, but Value Accessories (a forum sponsor) has some. Used to be another, also, but don't see them any more.
    Oh, and when I got my last Spyder (used) first thing I had done was an oil change. I had no info that previous owner ever did anything, so I got it done.

Enjoy! You will find your face hurting from all that smiling.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I will check them out. Not going to rush into getting anything but just would like to educate myself

Spyder Garage

http://store.valueaccessories.net/fo...sc.aspxhttp:// I have the Revco Product boards on my 2012 I like them.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Can't suggest floor boards, but Value Accessories (a forum sponsor) has some. Used to be another, also, but don't see them any more.
    Oh, and when I got my last Spyder (used) first thing I had done was an oil change. I had no info that previous owner ever did anything, so I got it done.

Enjoy! You will find your face hurting from all that smiling.
    ~Sandee~
    I purchased these floorboard for my RT. The absolute best upgrade I've done so far to my 2012 RT.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...m-floorboards/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhemedinger View Post
    I purchased these floorboard for my RT. The absolute best upgrade I've done so far to my 2012 RT.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...m-floorboards/
    Any issues with my RT being manual transmission?

Spyder Garage

ok paperwork signed, sealed and delivered. Next step....DELIVERY!

Spyder Garage

Search youtube for finless bob. He installed floor boards on his manual RT Spyder.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post
    Sorry, can't speak to that. Best to email and ask them directly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post
    Some of the a/mkt floorboards need you to fit a heel/toe gear change lever cos the left side floorboard won't leave you enough room to squeeze your boot under the pedal & lift it to change up; but that's usually an easy fix, often from the same a/mkt supplier! So the only 'real' issue you're likely to find with a manual Spyder over a Semi-auto will probably be if/when you try to sell it on!! The manual Spyders tend to lose value marginally quicker & are generally a little harder to sell than the Semi-Auto's.

But that shouldn't worry you atm, you should just get out there & enjoy the Miles of Smiles ASAP!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2012 RTSE5. If everything is fine, then the first upgrade to me is the skid plate (if it doesn't have one). That's about protecting your investment. These things lack front end clearance, especially for people crossing over from 2 wheels. You might want to consider having every factory light bulb replaced as a preventive measure, too. Get the brakes checked and replace as recommended. Rubber, battery, and an oil change are obvious. If you put it in the shop for any of that stuff, have a Spyder Tech go through the entire electrical system and give you a report. Make sure you have the correct iPod connection pigtail if your version has the iPod compatibility. Those are the things I'd address before riding it awhile to figure out my preferences.

FYI, my 2012 RTSE5's only mechanical failures in 15,000 miles have been a battery replacement, the air bag (adj rear suspension), and a new water pump. A severe wind gust
    at 65 mph snapped one of the 3 windshield pins several months ago, but that was a freak "accident" kind of thing and a $15 (parts kit) + 30 minute garage fix. In general, you won't read a lot of "problem" posts on here about 2012 RT's.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RTL SE5 with 49,000+Has run well and been very enjoyable. I added the BajaRon sway bar after riding for a year. By then I knew I needed it. I added car tires all the way around as the OEM tires wore out. I have ridden it to Bear Tooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, 2 Deadwood 3 wheeler rallies, 2 Red Rocks Spyder rallies in St. George Ut, Yuma, Montrose, Co, San Diego, Ca and lots of other places. I also bought used with 8500 miles. Just ride a little and things will begin to suggest themselves. The only 2 things I did right away is the blue tooth dongle and cord from motorcycledave.com and his gel seat pad. I also got Sena headsets from him so my wife and I could communicate on the bike.
    Welcome to the circus, enjoy the Spyder. Post early and post often with pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder Ryders! You're gonna love it! I have Web Boards on mine... I think they're still made, different name? The others mentioned on here are undoubtedly good as well. I have a Garmin GPS, highly recommended. Elka Shocks! (you won't need a sway bar). Let us know as you dive in! Enjoy!
    Bill

Spyder Garage

She's in the garage after coming in from Chicago. Got here after 11P EST so only had a chance to tool around the neighborhood. Will post pics and more tomorrow.

Some first glance questions:
    How do I know if there is an existing skid plate on the bike? It appears to have something covering the front end but having zero experience with this bike....I cannot tell if this it factory or aftermarket.

How many keys should does the bike typically come with? I received (1) key

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Garage pic posted. Can someone please address my questions above?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

When new, the Spyder comes with 2 keys.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Re #23

From the factory it should have 2 keys. Used, well you get what you get. Take a picture of the front end, we really wont be able to tell other wise.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze