Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Spyder hauler

Just a few pics to show my trailer set-up for hauling the Spyder. Just a regular 6x10 landscape trailer with a standard 4 foot gate. Of course, the 4 foot gate and its angle did pose a problem for the Spyder to navigate.
    Using some scrap plywood and 2x8 boards, I made these simple ramps which go under the lip of the trailer ramp. The center ramp has a slot cut into it so it locks under the lip of the ramp so the rear wheel cannot accidentally kick it out of place when loading. It is also has anti slip tape on it for traction.
    The front of the trailer has two wheel “chocks” and a center piece which both stop the front wheels and also keep the front front shifting right or left. The wheels are simply strapped in place and all is good. All that is left to do is put some straps on the rear wheel and tighten them down.
    Just thought I would post this as I have heard of a few instances where people were having issues on figuring out how to successfully load a Spyder on a smaller trailer.

PS. Yes, I did go overboard on the extra LED lighting and the reflector tapes, but it does light up in the dark quite well.
    3B5FFBF6-D95F-466D-BF3C-635778A6B376.jpgA30D766F-6F68-4B72-BF6E-EA9B27D3F1D6.jpg0DDF95CA-9461-4569-A2D0-381CC428A97D.jpg
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Hmm interesting. I have a Tacoma as well and was looking at ideas for hauling my RT and still be able to use the trailer for other projects. I take it the Tacoma tows this set up easily.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We towed our son-in-law's trailer to New York to pick up our Spyder. Similar trailer but used 8 foot long 2x8's that I screwed in place to the deck to hold in place while loading. Used the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer while it was still attached to my truck. That made a straight shot onto the trailer, then removed the ramps, screwed down a 6 inch piece of 2x4 on the outside of front wheels and on each side the rear wheel. Used heavy duty ratchet straps from Horrible Freight through the wheels per BRP instructions and then it was off to the races! Towed like a dream behind our Nissan Frontier 4L V6 back home to Illinois.

What you have for hauling your Spyder should work very well. Really nice job!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    We towed our son-in-law's trailer to New York to pick up our Spyder. Similar trailer but used 8 foot long 2x8's that I screwed in place to the deck to hold in place while loading. Used the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer while it was still attached to my truck. That made a straight shot onto the trailer, then removed the ramps, screwed down a 6 inch piece of 2x4 on the outside of front wheels and on each side the rear wheel. Used heavy duty ratchet straps from Horrible Freight through the wheels per BRP instructions and then it was off to the races! Towed like a dream behind our Nissan Frontier 4L V6 back home to Illinois.

What you have for hauling your Spyder should work very well. Really nice job!
    It does well. Used it 3 times in 18 months to round trip to Florida and back and towed, loaded, and unloaded well. Getting ready to leave next week for FL to deal with some parental medical issues and will be taking it again. Probably be down there a month or more.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Great job!! You can never be seen enough. Is the box up front for the ramps? Did you already have the trailer or did you purchase it new, and if so, what was the cost? Any chance you will posting pics of your ryde on the trailer or a video of the loading?
    Again, nice work!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Verrry Nice Arnie!

The ramps & chocks really look the goods too; got any pics or details of how you actually made them? I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting a bit of a closer look at all those... I mean, a trailer is a trailer, isn't it?! All the skill & innovation here is in the ramps & chocks, tie-downs, etc, but even from the limited detail & pics you've put up so far, they look absobloodylutely impressive! Well done! More detail please?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I like that. Personally I have a 6 x 10 Aluma with the bifold ramp, which has a natural arch built in
    so I added nothing to the ramp and works like a champ
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Well done....

Very nicely done and great solution to the ramp issue. Congrats..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Great job!! You can never be seen enough. Is the box up front for the ramps? Did you already have the trailer or did you purchase it new, and if so, what was the cost? Any chance you will posting pics of your ryde on the trailer or a video of the loading?
    Again, nice work!
    Before I bought my used trailer, I took a good look at this one from Sam's Club in Amarillo, Tx. It seems to be well constructed and versatile. I found only two things that might be lacking: 1. The tail gate might need a little more strength for a Spyder. 2. The tailgate does not fold up. (I learned from experience, a tall mesh tailgate makes for a huge drag factor.)

https://www.samsclub.com/p/karavan-trailer/prod20301097

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Nice! When you get tired of it--------------------I've got space in my driveway!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Hmm interesting. I have a Tacoma as well and was looking at ideas for hauling my RT and still be able to use the trailer for other projects. I take it the Tacoma tows this set up easily.
    As long as you have the V6....wouldn’t try it with the 4.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Again, nice work!
    Bought the Bri-Mar trailer new at $1300. The box up front holds trailer chocks, tie-downs, jacks and other misc junk. The ramps get put into the bed of the truck when traveling.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Verrry Nice Arnie!

The ramps & chocks really look the goods too; got any pics or details of how you actually made them? I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting a bit of a closer look at all those... I mean, a trailer is a trailer, isn't it?! All the skill & innovation here is in the ramps & chocks, tie-downs, etc, but even from the limited detail & pics you've put up so far, they look absobloodylutely impressive! Well done! More detail please?!
    No real details on the ramps construction. As a woodworker and handy with tools, I threw them together in about and hour. Sanding, painting, and water-sealing them took longer.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Not bad so far. I am used to my older F350 with the V10 engine and 4.30 rear axle which could tow anything without breaking a sweat. The new Tacoma does well so far except for a little more downshifting on the uphill grades which is to be expected. Going to FL next week to visit my parents and help take care of some medical issues. Once I escape I95 south of Richmond, most of the highways are fairly flat.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Not bad so far. I am used to my older F350 with the V10 engine and 4.30 rear axle which could tow anything without breaking a sweat. The new Tacoma does well so far except for a little more downshifting on the uphill grades which is to be expected. Going to FL next week to visit my parents and help take care of some medical issues. Once I escape I95 south of Richmond, most of the highways are fairly flat.
    I have been told to use the ECT button and keep it out of 6th gear. I have the V6.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I have been told to use the ECT button and keep it out of 6th gear. I have the V6.
    Yes, same info here. Too much up and down shifting between 5 and 6.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 6' X 12' aluminum landscape trailer from Northern Tool with a 4' endgate and have absolutely NO issues on driving my 2018 Spyder RT Limited onto the bed. I do not have to have other supports to the endgate. Just merely fold the endgate down and drive my Spyder on.
    I think you will find out if you raise your receiver hitch an inch or two will solve all issues of getting the low front end of a Spyder on board. there are all kinds of receiver hitches on the market - some straight out, some curved down and others curved up.
    I also bolted two chocks onto the trailer bed. strap the Spdyer down and away we go.. I've got thousands of miles with this set up and no problems. It is also advisable to locate the two chocks back from the front and get most of the weight over the axles and not on the tongue.. Just an FYI..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

2018-08-10 15.42.42.jpg

turn the switch, trailer drops to street level, drive on, secure straps, turn switch, trailer raise back to tow level. DONE LOL

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Above quote = Me, being a wise guy.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Great job.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I probably already know the answer to this question, however, here goes. If one removed the Spyder’s windshield and loaded it into the trailer rear first, what would be the most serious side effects of such a stunt?

The reason for this question is that, after having arrived in FL yesterday, I decided to check the tongue weight of the trailer and Spyder together and found it to be slightly over 300lbs. While the new Tacoma is rated for 6400lbs, there is still a slight sag on the rear end. Since I was thinking that carting it home on the trailer rearward would reduce the trailer tongue weight considerably, it might be worth considering - unless someone can advise me on my stupidity..........
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I probably already know the answer to this question, however, here goes. If one removed the Spyder’s windshield and loaded it into the trailer rear first, what would be the most serious side effects of such a stunt?

The reason for this question is that, after having arrived in FL yesterday, I decided to check the tongue weight of the trailer and Spyder together and found it to be slightly over 300lbs. While the new Tacoma is rated for 6400lbs, there is still a slight sag on the rear end. Since I was thinking that carting it home on the trailer rearward would reduce the trailer tongue weight considerably, it might be worth considering - unless someone can advise me on my stupidity..........
    Tongue weight should be 10-15% of total load. That steel trailer plus Spyder has to be at least 2500#. Just sayin'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have been towing trailers and RV's for more than 30 years. I would't worry about 300lb tongue weight on a pickup truck. No need to load backwards or anything else really. If you are really worried about it you might load the can Am a little further back on the trailer if you have the room. More tongue weight equals less potential for trailer sway as well.
    Just my .02

Spyder Garage

I would haul that around the world!! The reason your truck is sagging is that they like to make trucks ride like cars these days! You want that weight on the ball to keep the trailer from swaying. If you feel that the truck is sagging to much shift the bike back a little if you can, or if your going to haul it a lot think about a set of coil over shocks, or air bags, or add a leaf to the rear. When you take the bike and turn it around in the trailer your making air go where it may have a bad effect on side covers, windscreens, ect. May leave with a pretty bike, come back with a stripped model! JMO Good Luck!! Nice trailer set up
    2012 RTL , Pearl