Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Basically, I soon realize what a boring SOB I am!!!

Joe T.

Lol, I put a reluctant like on this one, I doubt you are that boring!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I really like this thread

Have learned that I'm a 100 to 150 mile per ride man. My old body can't really take more.

I live on the west end of the island of Montreal. Traffic is horrendous as are the road surfaces. There are pleasant rides off the east end of the island but that 30 mile ride just to start the ride would be a nightmare. So I always head west & am in sparsely populated countryside in 20 mins. I am nothing if not consistent in my rides. Around 3hrs & covering the same general area each time, though in a clockwise direction one day, anticlockwise the next, then figure of eight wise. I find the scenery interestingly varied depending on my direction. We have such beautiful churches everywhere.
    I like to watch the progression of the crops from April to the end of July (the end of my riding season these days. It costs $660 to plate the Spyder for a calendar year but we only get 7 months of riding weather & this way I get a $300 refund on the plate. I also stop riding 4 weeks before wifey & I fly somewhere & drive around the western states. I figure that month would give me time to heal up if I have a mishap on the Spyder..wishful thinking probably but she only gets the 1 vacation & I don't want to mess it up for her)

I really try to pay attention when riding but my mind is always wandering off as I daydream. Luckily very little traffic. When on our "Interstates" I pay strict attention to everything around me as a matter of self preservation

I have discovered over the years that I am not nearly the skilled 2 or 3 wheeled driver I imagined myself to be. I have to concentrate on concentrating ! I don't suppose I have more than a year or two of riding left. I'll be well into my eighties then so I enjoy watching the changes in the fields & the variety of smells, even the not so pleasant ones. I do draw the line at dead skunks though.
    Sorry I didn’t run across you in June when I was there for the F1 race although I did see an F3 while I was there. Montreal is in a beautiful location, I would have loved to have seen it when it was still wilderness. There is construction everywhere so no wonder you ride the fastest way out of town. We drove from Montreal to Quebec and the countryside was beautiful.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

Spyder Garage

Brilliant question! I'll have to think about an answer the next time I'm out ryding

Seriously though...it depends...
    When riding solo, my mind typically jumps around...beauty of the scenery, de-stressing tactics (most recently via my recent retirement), short and long term plans yet to be realized.
    When riding with my wife, I tend to focus more on "our" enjoyment...hey, did you see that...are you okay for a while longer or need a break?
    When riding with one of the groups (which I've been doing a lot more of this season), it's more a focus on the rider in front and behind, the road itself, when is the leader gonna stop for a break, etc.

I'm happy with any of the above, but I definitely get more relaxed when solo.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

Spyder Garage

I enjoy the people who engage you when riding solo.

At a gas pump, a motel, car/bike wash or stopping for a bite to eat.

Seems there's always someone with a story, a comment or question.

I always give them their time.

They knock the dust off the solitary moments!

Then I'm ready to saddle up and hit the road again.

America...............it is beautiful!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Great Post.
    My thoughts: Solo riding clears my head of all the current problems and daily worries that turn into ulcers and mental anguish if left to fester within. When I go out in the wind I gotta concentrate on riding and being hyper aware of my surroundings and road conditions. All those problems seem to melt away the further I ride. By the time I get home I'm recharged and ready for what ever life wants to throw at me next. About 15 years ago I rode cross country, upon returning 3 weeks later folks asked me "What was it like?" I replied " travelling in this beautiful country in a cage is like watching a 3D movie with all it's beautiful scenery unfolding all around you, but riding out there on a bike(spyder) you are now part of that movie enjoying all the smells, sounds, sights and even a different feel to the road beneath you."
    "Riding Two up is completely different, as I now have more responsibility with my better half on the back. Spyder handles a little differently and I focus even more on the road than riding solo. I find myself enjoying the occasional conversation as we share the wind and our surroundings together.
    And yes, as many have said before me "The Ride Is The Destination!
    When I was younger, I had neither the time or the money to enjoy life the way I do Today. Bushrat hit the nail square when he said "Too soon we grow old; too late we get smart!!!

Glide-on Brothers
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Gracie" 2018 RTL Chrome in Metallic Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    I have "sine die" pending a route from Barcelona (Spain) to Nordkapp (Norway), alone or accompanied.
    Ridden in Spain (including Barcelona) but never managed Norway (or Sweden) though I have ridden in Finland. Nordkapp much further north than I've ever managed and well into the Artic Circle, that's quite a trip you're planning there. I've been to Antarctica but never quite managed the Arctic Circle. Love to see the route you've got planned.