Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of making a trade

We are currently riding a '13 STL with 43K miles. The "we" is important here as the primary reason we are thinking of making a trade is that my wife has trouble staying planted in the saddle if I "zip" at all around curves. With the Baja Ron sway bar and Stage 2 Elka suspension all around, it really handles but those passenger grab rails don't offer much leverage. Probably 70% of the mileage is 2 up for us. And we are both around 80 years.

We are thinking that the seating position on an RT might plant her more firmly as the wrap around of the back seat seems better.

We would be interested in opinions from the back seat half of some of you riding couples with RTs

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    We are currently riding a '13 STL with 43K miles. The "we" is important here as the primary reason we are thinking of making a trade is that my wife has trouble staying planted in the saddle if I "zip" at all around curves. With the Baja Ron sway bar and Stage 2 Elka suspension all around, it really handles but those passenger grab rails don't offer much leverage. Probably 70% of the mileage is 2 up for us. And we are both around 80 years.

We are thinking that the seating position on an RT might plant her more firmly as the wrap around of the back seat seems better.

We would be interested in opinions from the back seat half of some of you riding couples with RTs
    The RT definitely has more secure seating for the passenger ….. also if you have a Driver backrest … the passenger can use that for more lateral control …… jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

My mom often rides with me on the RTL - she's 80 and has no problems with it. Loves to ride. Likes the heated grips.

Spyder Garage

That was a major reason we went back to the wing. My bride never could get comfy and relax on the RT . After 15k and lots of money we threw in the towel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    That was a major reason we went back to the wing. My bride never could get comfy and relax on the RT . After 15k and lots of money we threw in the towel.
    Hmm...I sold my wing.... I hope I don't regret it, but so far, so good!

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it....

The RT will fix the "We" situation and set up right still the "Me" part a spirited Ryde. IMO you both will love the change...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have an RT, after adding a Baja Ron my pillion is not happy with how she has to hold on. Looking at doing the armrests so she is more secure in the pillion seat.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

My wife loves the back seat more than any bike i have owned .I have had 4 wings and numerous other bikes .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I had no choice but to buy an RT. I wanted the F3, but she has some back issues, and the F3 with the trunk just didn't do it for her. We've been on only a couple of rides so far - about an hour each, and she's enjoying it so far.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Not a Spyder owner yet but have been looking and researching very hard and my passengers comfort is of prime importance. A deal breaker may be her having the ability to have forward visibility (see over my helmet) and the only model we have found is the F3L. We have been riding two wheels for years and having another pair of eyes seeing forward is also an advantage.
    The issue that fulltimer brought up (pass. comfort and their point of views) is of major importance. I'm trying to gather as much info. as I can to make the best decision possible. Hope I didn't hijack this topic.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

The seating accommodations for the passenger are usually a bit less comfy than for the driver. Another issue...is the passenger petite or on the large side. There seems to always be "less" room for plus sizers.

Best to test drive your possible choices and see what works best for you. I ended up getting Linda her own bike (a 2011) which she still has and uses regular. 30K miles so far.

Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar2112 View Post
    I have an RT, after adding a Baja Ron my pillion is not happy with how she has to hold on. Looking at doing the armrests so she is more secure in the pillion seat.
    I can see that the arm rests add a lot of stability. They did on our wing. Does anyone know if arm rests are available for the ST? That and a new Ultimate seat with back rests would pretty well fix the problem. We still basically love the bike since we did the suspension.

Spyder Garage

Some things to consider...
    IF you decide not to keep your 2013 STL, you can move up to a 1330 engine RTL or F3L; either one will serve your needs for two-up touring/cruising and do it well. Some folks like the RTL, others prefer the F3L (or T). Best that you test ride both; take your wife with you, and give her a big say in the decision. Either way, the triple 1330 will give you better gas mileage, longer range per tank before filling, and very likely not need added oil between service. Super engines. The semi-automatics are fun to handle.

We ride a 2017 F3L; we're 78 and 74; do mostly day trips, 150 - 350 miles. I added arm rests for my lady's security; very good idea. She is quite well "nested/seated" with an excellent back rest/top case behind her, long arm rests on either side, my back rest as well as me ahead of her (see pic below). She is of medium build; it is possible to extend the passenger seat for larger folks.

One of the reasons we went with the F3L was because my hips just could not tolerate the sitting position of the RTL driver; the F3L worked much better. However, a test ride equally convinced my lady to choose the F3L. She liked it because the F3L was slightly smaller, sportier, but mostly because she found the F3L stock passenger seat very comfortable AND she sat much higher and looked over my helmet. That seems to be an important issue for your wife; you might want to check out how she finds the F3L will suit her. BUT, consider this:

After a few months of riding, I found it hard to do more than 45 minutes in the stock driver seat of the F3L; I needed to make some changes. An Airhawk pad helped double my tolerance, but I was still getting sore. I bought an Ultimate seat. Take note that stock F3L seats are two-piece; the Ultimate replacement is one-piece. The change meant that I now sat about 3/4" higher than stock BUT my lady now sat 1-1/2" lower relative to me. In short, she lost the ability to see over my helmet, and now looks around my ears. She is not too pleased about that. The Ultimate seat is comfortable for both of us, but does have this 'downside' regarding relative 'positioning' of our bodies/heads relative to one another.

I mention this as a caution for you, in case you think you like the F3L enough to purchase, but may also be thinking of changing from the stock seat to an after-market replacement. You might have to go with something like a Russell Day Long if you wish to keep the two-piece set-up and also be able to maintain the relative height difference between passenger-driver so that she can still see over your helmet. Perhaps you can accomplish this by adding gel pads to the stock seat pieces.

The F3L will be somewhat 'breezier' than the RTL, and may also cause you to consider windshield replacement. That, too, can involve considerations of how seat changes may/will impact viewing or sight lines above/through your shield. All you can do is visit the dealer, try out the different models, and try to guesstimate how such changes may affect your riding enjoyment.

Good luck.

20180109_150740.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I had kind of "shelved" the idea of the F3 models as I was told none of them have a Cruise control. A must for me. I use it all the time.
    We have air hawks currently and swear by (not at) them. As we only day trip between 100 to 200 miles max, the cured the seat problem.
    I really appreciate your "heads up" on changing the stock seat on an F3 should we get that interested in one. Another consideration for us is that we transport the bike backwards in the back of the pickup. Thus windshield height is a consideration. If I could just find a set of arm rests for our ST, we would be happy campers.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the suggestion to ride it first. We have owned dozens of bikes 2 and 3 wheel. My wife likes them all and has never complained. She feels the Spyder when ridden aggressively is the least comfortable for the passenger.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I had kind of "shelved" the idea of the F3 models as I was told none of them have a Cruise control. A must for me. I use it all the time....
    Just to be clear, our F3L has cruise control, and I believe an F3T would also have it. Beyond that, the short, stock, 'sport' windshield that comes with the F3L/T should present no problem for hauling backward in your pick-up. And, if you go that route and find you want a little more height to divert buffeting, you could add an X-creen 'Tour', as I have. (This is adjustable, and can be folded down for hauling, or set at different heights/configurations. Comes in 'clamp-on' or 'bolt-on' format). It pushes enough air above our heads to make things more pleasant, but still allows wind to circulate around my arms and sides of my chest, meaning I get some cooling and breeze, which I actually prefer. Gives me plenty of unobstructed view over the shield at everything more than 25/30' down the road. I'm 5' 10".
    20190626_173905.jpg 20190626_174009.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I'd say an RT is definitely in your future. It will make a world of difference to the passenger.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

OK, I've got to do some thinking. I also need to get ours weighed. Real weight not what specs say. Our lift is near its max weight and so I have to keep that in mind also. All these details.

And Just as I expected, our local dealer is NOT interested in my ST as a trade. Guess I can't really blame him.

Spyder Garage

You might have to buy where you can trade it - go to one of the larger dealers. iMotorsports for example in Chicago - buy online and they will deliver your new one and PU your trade.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

We recently tested the RT and F3 LTD. At first I was thinking just of the RT but after riding both I found the seating position on the F3 LTD way more compfortable than the RT. I recommend you try both before deciding.

Also, the F3 LTD windscreen is much smaller than RT. But you can get a bigger one if wind is a concern.
    1980 Honda - CM400
    1983 Yamaha - Maxim 750
    1988 Kawasaki - EX500 Ninja
    1994 Yamaha - FZR 600
    1998 Honda - VFR800 Interceptor
    2008 Buell - XB12

2018 Bitten by the Spyder Bug
    2018 Can Am - F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up on the F3. I will be weighing my ST in the next couple days and see where I can go from here. Are the F3s generally heavier or lighter than the RTs when comparably dressed?

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I believe an F3L should weigh in about 50 lbs. lighter than an RTL, comparably dressed (I've always figured mine at 950). If it matters, the tracking width of the F3L is a couple of inches narrower than the RTL; not certain how that compares to your current STL. Length-wise, the rear edge of the top case on the F3L does overhang the back wheel by about 7", so if complete overall bike length is a concern, you need to take that into account, not just wheel base, extent of rear fender or tow hitch.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I would also like thank everyone for their comments. This is exactly the type of info. I was looking for.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Ahhh, we're not done yet.
    I had my ST-L on the scales yesterday with a full tank of gas and it scaled 950, +- 10 lbs. Truck scales are only so accurate.
    So, bushrat, if your number is correct, the F3 might be the way to go for me. I admit not wanting much more weight than I have now. I would have to load the beast on my truck to see if that tail trunk would be a problem or not. The good news is that I load the bike on to the platform flat on the ground so before any lifting goes on I can see how it is going to fit.
    Have you ever had your F3 on a scales?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I had kind of "shelved" the idea of the F3 models as I was told none of them have a Cruise control. A must for me. I use it all the time.
    We have air hawks currently and swear by (not at) them. As we only day trip between 100 to 200 miles max, the cured the seat problem.
    I really appreciate your "heads up" on changing the stock seat on an F3 should we get that interested in one. Another consideration for us is that we transport the bike backwards in the back of the pickup. Thus windshield height is a consideration. If I could just find a set of arm rests for our ST, we would be happy campers.
    My 2015 F3's came with a Cruise Control. Back in 2015 Cruise Control was the main difference between a F3 & F3's.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black