Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default WHY Does The Ryker Get such POOR MPG???

I mean, I get only around 33-34 MPG, and I don't even ride over 60 MPH!

My 1998 Jetta TDI routinely got 55 MPG, and it is 1,900cc vs. 600, 90 HP vs. 47, and a whole lot HEAVIER!!! Proportionally, the Ryker should get well over 100 MPG, IMHO!!! Seems like designers were lackadaisical!!! I'm sure it can't be THAT un-aerodynamic! And I'm sure the CVT isn't THAT inefficient!

Spyder Garage

That's just the nature of the beast.

My Suzuki GS550 got 40 mpg, Yamaha RD350: 38 mpg, Kawasaki s2 350: 23 mpg, BMW R80RT: 42-45 mpg, BMW K1200LT: 38-50 mpg, Victory Cross Roads: 33-42 mpg, Can Am F3L 30-35 mpg.

Motorcycles are not built for gas mileage. Except for commuter bikes, mileage is not their intention as it was with your Diesel Jetta.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    mileage is not their intention as it was with your Diesel Jetta.
    Yeah, I could drive from Orlando to Nashville on only one tankful of fuel!

Spyder Garage

First of all you are comparing Diesel to gas. Diesel always gets better fuel economy.

Secondly and the real reason your tdi vw got so much better fuel economy or even the 1330 spyders get better fuel economy is RPM's. I bet in your TDI at highway speeds you are at what 2500rpms. The 1330 spyder at highways speeds are at 4000ish rpm (just guessing here) where the Ryker at highway speeds is 6000+ rpm for the 900cc and at 7000rpm for the 600cc. More RPM to maintain speed = more engine work = burning more fuel.

What I don't understand is why the suzuki burgman 650cc scooter and the honda silverwing scooter 600cc average 45-50mpg. They both have cvt transmissions and can do it, I don't understand why the ryker 600cc cant. But then again its probably down to the whole rpm thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

delk, pretty sure you have nailed it.

Spyder Garage

Apples and oranges here. If your Ryker gets much less than other Rykers...maybe something is wrong...unless you are driving like a speed demon...which you said you do not.

Low 30's was the best I ever had on four out of five Spyders (all 998 twins). The 1330 RT is high 30's, low 40's. I never bought them for economy, so for me, not an issue to worry about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Maybe you should have bought a Prius.. I don't even know what my mileage is, I just enjoy the ryde!

Spyder Garage

It's all about where the CVT is designed to keep the engine. You can set it for fuel economy and sacrifice performance. Or you can set it for performance and sacrifice economy. Everything is a trade-off.

I'd say the different modes (ECO, etc.) are an attempt at giving you some ability to choose where you want to run in the power band. But even the most fuel efficient setting is still highly biased towards performance. I assume BRP felt that most people were more interested in performance than fuel mileage. And, I for one, think they were right.

At the other end of the scale is walking, if you really want to get the best fuel mileage!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post

What I don't understand is why the suzuki burgman 650cc scooter and the honda silverwing scooter 600cc average 45-50mpg. They both have cvt transmissions and can do it, I don't understand why the ryker 600cc cant. But then again its probably down to the whole rpm thing.
    I own a Silverwing and at 60 its turning around 5K rpm. That is with stock pulley setup. My guess with the Ryker is that you are pushing a third wheel with a disc that creates drag. You also have a much less aerodynamic front, no windscreen and probably much wider tires. It converts the engine power via a CVT as well as a shaft drive. And it weighs a bit more.

At least it does better than my RT. That gets about 25mpg.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Maybe you should have bought a Prius.. I don't even know what my mileage is, I just enjoy the ryde!
    Knowing your gas mileage ( for me at least ) isn't about pinching pennies..... Your Gas mileage TELLS YOU how your engine is performing ….. If you avg. 38 mph consistently and suddenly it goes down to 32mph ….. something isn't right with the engine ….. and you will know this before something really bad happens ….. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

A contributing factor is aerodynamics. Cars have great aerodynamics, while motorcycles and Spyders do not.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

in the last 5.500 miles our 900 Ace reached 35 mpg, this is OK for me - around the same like with our Spyders, but we are now "faster" than with our old (too) heavy RTS/V2 ..
    we are riding here in the Alps ( solo I love the Sport-mode !), 2up she "switches" always in the ECO-mode - only few "Autobahn-Highways"..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    A contributing factor is aerodynamics. Cars have great aerodynamics, while motorcycles and Spyders do not.
    Not much actual cross section against the wind! My Yamaha Majesty with LARGE custom mounted saddleboxes still got 50 MPG, and so did my Piaggio MP3 500 3 wheeler. Heck, my SLINGSHOT with 2,400cc engine and obviously MUCH heavier got better MPG than Ryker (and I used regular in Slingshot instead of recommended PREMIUM)!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Not much actual cross section against the wind! My Yamaha Majesty with LARGE custom mounted saddleboxes still got 50 MPG, and so did my Piaggio MP3 500 3 wheeler. Heck, my SLINGSHOT with 2,400cc engine and obviously MUCH heavier got better MPG than Ryker (and I used regular in Slingshot instead of recommended PREMIUM)!!!
    The Slingshot uses the engine from the PT Cruiser I believe so its got a car engine in it while weighing significantly less. Hence the performance and the gas mileage. It also has gearing instead of a CVT.

The Ryker has a much wider front end compared to motorcycles so you are getting significant wind drag.

Spyder Garage

Mine is getting better as I put miles on it. It was the same with any new car I bought.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I mean, I get only around 33-34 MPG, and I don't even ride over 60 MPH!

My 1998 Jetta TDI routinely got 55 MPG, and it is 1,900cc vs. 600, 90 HP vs. 47, and a whole lot HEAVIER!!! Proportionally, the Ryker should get well over 100 MPG, IMHO!!! Seems like designers were lackadaisical!!! I'm sure it can't be THAT un-aerodynamic! And I'm sure the CVT isn't THAT inefficient!

It's Simple - When the Ryker is doing 60 mph, the engine is turning 5700 rpm. When a Spyder is doing 60 mph, its only turning around 3000 rpm, so your burning more fuel and wearing your engine almost twice as fast as a Spyder.

Regards - Mike
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Now that I have over 1000 miles on the Ryker Rally, I achieved an average 36.2 mpg on my last 260 mile trip. This was riding two up (about 360 pounds combined weight) in ECO mode. Most of the ride was between 55 and 65 mph, mostly on rural roads. Used regular 87 octane fuel purchased at the local Sam's club
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's most interesting, 2 up on the Ryker and 36+ mpg, who woulda thought it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    Now that I have over 1000 miles on the Ryker Rally, I achieved an average 36.2 mpg on my last 260 mile trip. This was riding two up (about 360 pounds combined weight) in ECO mode. Most of the ride was between 55 and 65 mph, mostly on rural roads. Used regular 87 octane fuel purchased at the local Sam's club
    we ride also many miles 2up - (5.500 miles - 35mpg) but (here in the Alps) we have the problem that the VSS works much to sensible in the curves - it feels like we have a "flat" rear tire ?!?
    I plan now to cut the cable from the rear footrest - any other idea ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    The Slingshot uses the engine from the PT Cruiser I believe so its got a car engine in it while weighing significantly less. Hence the performance and the gas mileage. It also has gearing instead of a CVT.

The Ryker has a much wider front end compared to motorcycles so you are getting significant wind drag.
    LOL, Slingshot has a GM engine that was in Pontiacs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    That's most interesting, 2 up on the Ryker and 36+ mpg, who woulda thought it.
    I get only 33 with 1 up.

Spyder Garage

You are correct, but it is not just about frontal cross section. How cleanly the object moves through an airmass is impactful too. For a motorcycle or three wheeler - with a rider perched on it - that is not a smooth service at the frontal, midsection or tail. So the surrounding airmass is very disrupted and flows are not smooth - and the rider and bike do not move through in a slippery fashion. Many jagged shapes and voids.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

I just filled up again yesterday. Again all rides are 2 up in ECO mode. 116 miles and 3.2 gallons = 36.2 mpg. I am a conservative driver most of the time. With my wife as passenger I am very conservative.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the Ryker reasonably comfortable for your wife?

Spyder Garage

My wife says she is comfortable on the back of the Ryker. Standard seat, 2-up rear spring set on 1. Together we weigh around 320 lbs.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue