Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 175-55-15 vrs 165-55-15

Going to get a set of Vredestein Quatrac tires for the front of our RT. It seems that most are getting 175-55-15 instead of the 165-55-15 that is the OEM size. I was wondering what the advantages or reasons were for the bigger size.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it's due to availability. You won't notice any difference.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Going to get a set of Vredestein Quatrac tires for the front of our RT. It seems that most are getting 175-55-15 instead of the 165-55-15 that is the OEM size. I was wondering what the advantages or reasons were for the bigger size.
    I dabbled with the numbers, and came up with this. Purely speculation, of course. If (a big IF) the Nanny cares about front/rear wheel rotation speed as it pertains to taking a corrective action, then keeping the ratio of change from the OEM sizes to the new sizes as close to the same should make this less likely to happen. I went with a 205/60R16 Vredestein on the back, and due to availability as UtahPete says, the 175/55R15 on front. The 205 rear is slightly larger than stock, hence the slightly larger roll-out on the front. As I calculated it, this combination overall is only 1.4% different than OEM. As a perk, it corrected 50% of the speedometer error. I'm only 1 MPH off at 70 now. As an aside, I have no rubbing on the new style fenders.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In reality the NANNY is not as sensitive about this difference as some seem to think it might be …. Spyders in general are very limited in tire sizes that will fit either Front or Rear...… In fact, I don't believe there is any combination of sizes that will / can trigger the Nanny, for this reason ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I've been riding on 175/55/15 for 2 years now.
    Quite happy with them and didn't notice any difference.
    As UtahPete mentioned, trying to find 165's in Canada is near impossible, bought and had blanced the 175's less than 1 mile from my home.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I didn't know if there was a reason that I might have missed in one of the many tire discussions or what. I would imagine that the difference between the two sizes would have little effect regarding hydroplaning. That was my main area of concern.

Thanks for the replies!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

I didn't know if there was a reason that I might have missed in one of the many tire discussions or what. I would imagine that the difference between the two sizes would have little effect regarding hydroplaning. That was my main area of concern.

Thanks for the replies!
    The size difference 10mm is less than 1/2 inch …. on a race track in a race it be a concern ( a very small one tho ) …. but for us it won't be noticeable ………….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The size difference 10mm is less than 1/2 inch …. on a race track in a race it be a concern ( a very small one tho ) …. but for us it won't be noticeable ………….. Mike
    Per tire or total of both?

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Per tire or total of both?
    Per tire ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

The 175 is .39" wider and the sidewall is .215" taller. So there could be a slight hydroplaning and sidewall flex disadvantage with the 175. Some might consider more sidewall flex an advantage. But that depends on driving style.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    The 175 is .39" wider and the sidewall is .215" taller. So there could be a slight hydroplaning and sidewall flex disadvantage with the 175. Some might consider more sidewall flex an advantage. But that depends on driving style.

Regards,

Don
    The flex could also be a function of the construction. If it were a Kenda of that size, yes more flex. Another brand, ???.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think it's due to availability. You won't notice any difference.
    Kenda vs Vredestein.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Regards,

Don
    When you say " SLIGHT " disadvantage …… as a percentage I would est. - .002 % difference …….. That's really barely measurable , so the effect would not be felt …..jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Because the bigger ones look better. See Petes' post #12..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Hello everyone

Is there a Spyder that rolls with Arachenid tires, may have OEM size.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

When you say " SLIGHT " disadvantage …… as a percentage I would est. - .002 % difference …….. That's really barely measurable , so the effect would not be felt …..jmho ….. Mike
    Mike...

You seem to underestimate the difference a 6% larger contact patch can make when it comes to PSI (pressure) on the road, and the area that water has to be dispersed from under the tire to prevent hydroplaning. Given standard variables it is probably more like 2-3%. But hey, you were only off by (3) decimal places. And yes, that difference can be felt by those that regularly drive in heavy water/slush conditions.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Seeing as how the Quatrac 5 is asymmetrical, has anyone had their tires mounted backwards or has anybody checked? I was at a dealer two summers ago and I discreetly pointed out that they had the tires mounted backwards on a brand new Spyder.

The reason I ask is that the difference is not glaringly obvious and could be overlooked if the person mounting the tires was not paying attention.

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Mike...

You seem to underestimate the difference a 6% larger contact patch can make when it comes to PSI (pressure) on the road, and the area that water has to be dispersed from under the tire to prevent hydroplaning. Given standard variables it is probably more like 2-3%. But hey, you were only off by (3) decimal places. And yes, that difference can be felt by those that regularly drive in heavy water/slush conditions.

Regards,

Don
    Don ….. I believe you are " Overestimating " the actual REAL - life effects of the above mentioned differences, for operating a Spyder during adverse weather conditions..... I am not a Typist and to give you a technically correct answer is way beyond my typing ability and time ( I'm 72 and don't have time to spare ) …… that being said, here's a question for you or anyone else reading this ….. Do you think it's possible to determine the speed or time difference in estimating when a 175/55-15 tire will aquaplane Vs. a 165/55-15 …. also do you think it matters ?????? ………….. Thanks for your above post ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have an OEM size Arachnid on the back. Good or bad? I have nothing to compare it to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I have an OEM size Arachnid on the back. Good or bad? I have nothing to compare it to.
    From a LOT of folks who tried the Arachnid ….. this tire may be WORSE than the garbage Kenda's …… When it wears out consider getting an Auto tire ….. either a 215/60-15 or 205/55-15 …… Mike

Spyder Garage

From a LOT of folks who tried the Arachnid ….. this tire may be WORSE the garbage Kenda's …… When it wears out consider getting an Auto tire ….. either a 215/60-15 or 205/55-15 …… Mike
    Already planning on that. Leaning towards a Kuhmo.

Spyder Garage

From a LOT of folks who tried the Arachnid ….. this tire may be WORSE the garbage Kenda's …… When it wears out consider getting an Auto tire ….. either a 215/60-15 or 205/55-15 …… Mike
    Since I have limited motorcycle riding experience, I have no idea what a "good" rear tire would feel like vs a "lousy" one. I don't hot rod around turns (at least not yet). Haven't ridden in much rain. When the time comes, I have been looking at a Kuhmo Ecsta, 225/50R15.

"this tire may be WORSE the garbage Kenda's" -- NOTHING COULD BE WORSE!!

BTW, like your dog.

Spyder Garage

Don ….. I believe you are " Overestimating " the actual REAL - life effects of the above mentioned differences, for operating a Spyder during adverse weather conditions...
    I don't think he is... Mike, the problem with your guesstimate is that it's based on nothing. Your assertion that the tyre is only 10mm wider so it's not possible to feel a difference is silly - the next step is a 185, can you then tell the difference from a 175?, then it's a 195, can you then tell the difference from the 185? And so it goes on. At what point does the straw break the camel's back and you can tell a difference?

I've previously mentioned to you that I run the Vredestien tyres on my 4x4 and I find they aquaplane noticeably earlier than other tyres I've used and I backed this up with a tyre report. I realise this was a bit inconvenient for you since you actively promote that tyre but, hey-ho, it's an open forum for discussion. I will say this to you though, I do believe the Vredestien tyre is a very satisfactory tyre in dry and wet road conditions, just not in flooded road conditions.

Looking at the Vredestien tread, you will notice that the side blocks of the tyre are linked by a solid section and this will give improved stability to the tread blocks but it'll be at the expense of water removal out between the side tread blocks so the only exit for mass water is through the central grooves. Although you diss the Kenda tyres, look at the tread and study the water removal routes and, particularly on the rear tyre, the amount of drainage both to the rear and the sides of the tread. One disadvantage of this is the rear tyre actually has a limited amount of rubber contacting the road so it's life is rather short.

... that being said, here's a question for you or anyone else reading this ….. Do you think it's possible to determine the speed or time difference in estimating when a 175/55-15 tire will aquaplane Vs. a 165/55-15 ….
    Absolutely it is.
    ..also do you think it matters ?
    Well it will if your tyres lift off the road surface on a wet day!

Lastly, there seems to be a general notion that wider tyres are automatically better, well It ain't necessarily so. And for that reason I run 155's on the front and 205's on the rear, and I can tell you that the VSS has kicked in and backed off the throttle a number of times in high G corners in wet road conditions.

All IMHO, of course.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    I don't think he is... Mike, the problem with your guesstimate is that it's based on nothing. Your assertion that the tyre is only 10mm wider so it's not possible to feel a difference is silly - the next step is a 185, can you then tell the difference from a 175?, then it's a 195, can you then tell the difference from the 185? And so it goes on. At what point does the straw break the camel's back and you can tell a difference?

I've previously mentioned to you that I run the Vredestien tyres on my 4x4 and I find they aquaplane noticeably earlier than other tyres I've used and I backed this up with a tyre report. I realise this was a bit inconvenient for you since you actively promote that tyre but, hey-ho, it's an open forum for discussion. I will say this to you though, I do believe the Vredestien tyre is a very satisfactory tyre in dry and wet road conditions, just not in flooded road conditions.
    .. Dear Lady please tell All of us exactly what " tyre " doesn't aquaplane " In Flooded road conditions " …. Your Maxxis ?????
    Looking at the Vredestien tread, you will notice that the side blocks of the tyre are linked by a solid section and this will give improved stability to the tread blocks but it'll be at the expense of water removal out between the side tread blocks so the only exit for mass water is through the central grooves. Although you diss the Kenda tyres, look at the tread and study the water removal routes and, particularly on the rear tyre, the amount of drainage both to the rear and the sides of the tread. One disadvantage of this is the rear tyre actually has a limited amount of rubber contacting the road so it's life is rather short.

Absolutely it is.
    Well it will if your tyres lift off the road surface on a wet day!

Lastly, there seems to be a general notion that wider tyres are automatically better, well It ain't necessarily so. And for that reason I run 155's on the front and 205's on the rear, and I can tell you that the VSS has kicked in and backed off the throttle a number of times in high G corners in wet road conditions.

All IMHO, of course.
    My above comment to this is in BLUE above ……. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, this looks like it might be entertaining

2014 RTL Platinum