Spyder Garage

Default Emergency water storage

Well, Calli got hit by an earth quake. That and the threat of a hack attack has convinced me I need to at least prep for two weeks of food and water. This storage seems good. I wanted to get you guy's opinion since Amazon reviews are sketchy.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Stacke...KWFBZ9TR3VEDC0
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah, they will work, but you can get military surplus heavy plastic 5 gallon water cans for a lot less money. The containers will be a lot stronger too.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...m-emergencies/

https://www.thoughtco.com/does-tap-water-go-bad-3975981
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most homes have water storage already.
    The hot water heater.
    No worry about keeping the water "fresh".

IF.....your water heater is more than 10 years old, upgrading it to 50 gallons would be MUCH easier than storage jugs.
    Just need to be sure you can get water out of the drain spout.

Spyder Garage

Water and food are big items after a major earthquake. I have to admit that we were NOT prepared when we got the 7.0 on November 30, 2018.

The very next day...when we got brave enough to go out and about, our biggest store in Eagle River was virtually cleaned out. The second biggest store was closed because of quake damage...and remained that way for a couple months.

Water supplies (bottled) were down to one pallet. And it was priced at almost $10 per case of 24--thank you Coca Cola and your brand of water. Generics were long gone. Water wells in our area were all messed up for about three weeks. All of the sediment was shaken up and the water ran a nice brown from soil...not poop from the septic tanks. It gradually went back to normal.

We saw that shaking on the news, and it sure brought back the memories fast. For us, the three days of large (5.0) after shocks were very scary. And I don't scare easy. My home was well built and we ended up paying a couple thousand for cosmetic damages and another five hundred for foundation repairs. Yes, we had and passed an earthquake inspection prior to selling the home. Many homes did not fair as well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'll also point you to this. If your water is still working, you can use your bathtub as an emergency system

https://www.thereadystore.com/65-gal...BoCco4QAvD_BwE
    2011 RT , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I'll also point you to this. If your water is still working, you can use your bathtub as an emergency system
    I tried that last "hurricane season", only to find out that the drain plug leaked.
    Thankfully the storms missed me......and I solved the problem with a $1 rubber plug.

(Edit
    Oops, should have looked a the link first.
    I see no real need for anything except the tub itself......appropriately cleaned before filling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I tried that last "hurricane season", only to find out that the drain plug leaked.
    Thankfully the storms missed me......and I solved the problem with a $1 rubber plug.

(Edit
    Oops, should have looked a the link first.
    I see no real need for anything except the tub itself......appropriately cleaned before filling.
    Exactly. A tub with one of those will hold a hell of a lot of water and you're not dealing with storing a bunch of containers. I have a couple of 55 gallon drums sitting in a storage building that is waiting on my new storm shelter to come in to have a new home. Once it's in? They get put in with a pump.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

The water heater is something I did not think about. That is a good idea. But I think I should get some backup in storage to. I should also get a filtration system and a water catch. I assume I can use Army MRE's for food. My cats eat canned food. So I can save and move the food into storage and then out FIFO for them. ...Then I will think about how I will defend it all.

But all in all, it would be pretty much impossible to prep for an apocalypse when you live in an urban area. I would not want to survive an apocalypse anyway. But one month or two is realistic.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Storing the five-gallons canisters, and then being able to access them under the most severe circumstances: that might be a problem!
    You almost need to store them in an outside shed, that you could reinforce and secure...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    The water heater is something I did not think about. That is a good idea. But I think I should get some backup in storage to. I should also get a filtration system and a water catch. I assume I can use Army MRE's for food. My cats eat canned food. So I can save and move the food into storage and then out FIFO for them. ...Then I will think about how I will defend it all.

But all in all, it would be pretty much impossible to prep for an apocalypse when you live in an urban area. I would not want to survive an apocalypse anyway. But one month or two is realistic.
    I also have one of these filtration systems for mass water needs and of course the personal systems for each member of the family.

https://www.jicreadiness.com/Sawyer-...P191_p_62.html

Filtering and purifying up to 170 gallons of clean water per day, the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo Bucket Purification System is an ideal addition to your emergency preparedness kit for use during disasters such as floods, hurricanes, and earthquakes. It’s also great for adventure travel where potable tap and bottled water are not easily carried or safe to drink.

With its 0.02 micron absolution filtration, the Point ZeroTwo goes one step beyond Sawyer’s MINI and Point ONE filters to remove 99.997% of viruses in addition to 99.99999% of bacteria and 99.9999% of protozoa/cysts.

This powerful, lightweight Purification System has an output of 1 liter per minute when used as a gravity system with a bucket (not included) — no pumping, chemicals, or electricity required. It also comes with a faucet adapter. NO REPLACEMENT FILTERS OR CARTRIDGES ARE NECESSARY. Rated for One Million Gallons. Handles up to 40 PSI. We trust you will thoroughly enjoy the ease and extra protection this proven next-generation technology offers you.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Here it is without the $100 price tag but I liked the video in the previous tag

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...02773726&psc=1
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

I use a bunch of these as I’ve had a well problem lately: Reliance Aqua-Tainer Water Container. Each has it’s own spigot built in and they hold 7 gallons. Don’t stack them too high.
    You may also want to look at a Water Bob unit. It goes in a bath tub and holds about 100 gallons of water? I used it for a water supply for the toilet. It has a hand operated pump. Pumped water into trash can then poured into back of toilet.
    A Berkey Water filter system I use every day for my drinking/cooking water. Removes 99.999% of the stuff in the water. Add the white filters and those remove the fluoride in city water.
    From a spigot you might want to use a white RV hose. You could use an inline filter as well?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RV stores will have all of the water filter systems and potable water hoses that you'd ever want to see...

Spyder Garage

A little window shopping when you have plenty of time. This place is huge. I got a lot of my kayak and camping equipment from them. They have just about anything for the outdoors or survival supplies.

https://www.campmor.com/c/gear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Campmoor is a GREAT place for everything outdoors!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Well, Calli got hit by an earth quake. That and the threat of a hack attack has convinced me I need to at least prep for two weeks of food and water. This storage seems good. I wanted to get you guy's opinion since Amazon reviews are sketchy.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Stacke...KWFBZ9TR3VEDC0
    You are in Chicago, right? Chicago is next to Lake Michigan, right? Lake Michigan has 1,180 cubic miles (4,918 km³) of fresh water, right? All you need is a good water filter. I don't see the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What if it's January, and ten below zero?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What if it's January, and ten below zero?
    Makes the water easier to carry. You don't even need a water bottle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hadn't thought of that...