Spyder Garage

Default What's with the whining noise mainly in 4th & 5th gears?

Hello All
    This is my first time posting. In january of this year after many years on various 2 wheelers I bought a dealer demo 2017 RT SE 6 Base model with 200 miles and now about 3000 miles . I'm happy with the decision and have had no problems, the bike has had its first service/oil change at the dealer with no issues. My concern is the mechanical noises particularly a high pitched whining noise mostly in 4 th and 5 th gear in the range of 35 to 50 miles per hour . The noise is somewhat annoying and I am wondering if others have it and if there is a fix. I have no idea where the noise comes from but in reading about belt tension ( mine is about 185 wheel on ground using the Krickit tool ) also aftermarket vibration dampers I believe I saw one remark concerning noise . My question is ; has anyone here adjusted belt tension or added a vibration damper for noise reduction? or has anyone noticed the bike being quieter with a vibration damper?
    Thanks Rick

Spyder Garage

I had to replace my belt tensioner and afterwards there was a high pitched whine. I only noticed it above 45mph. I found it is just the pulley on the tensioner. It was not a problem. After a while it calmed down and got quieter.
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick reply , it seems your whining noise is caused by a belt tensioner in my case I don't have one (yet) so I think my issue is differant. I'm considering buying a belt tensioner if I could determine that it would reduce noise I don't have an issue with vibrations so it would only be for noise reduction

Spyder Garage

Hi,

the noise is total normal and an old CanAm-Problem..

Reiner
    2014 STS SE5 , circuit yellow (metallic)

Spyder Garage

Its probably the front tires,replaced mine with Federal Formoza tires, noise is gone.
    2023 F3 Limited , Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Ok good info, I’ll pay more attention to the tires . I didn’t consider them as a source of noise.

Spyder Garage

Ricky, first try adjusting your tire pressure up or down by 2 or more PSI and see if there's a difference in that noise.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

The tires can be noisy, but a lot of it at that particular speed/RPM is gear noise from the engine and transmission. My 2015 does it and it drives me nuts so much I downshift to get to a different RPM range. It is really bad around the 45 to 50 MPH range. These engines have straight cut gears which are noisier (and cheaper to make) than helical cut gears. One plus is straight cut gears are stronger. I switched to full synthetic oil and it helped a bit, but not enough to be a real fix. The way these machines are laid out tends to amplify or direct noise right at the rider. Brake pads rubbing is one such noise, straight cut gear whine is another.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    The tires can be noisy, but a lot of it at that particular speed/RPM is gear noise from the engine and transmission. My 2015 does it and it drives me nuts so much I downshift to get to a different RPM range. It is really bad around the 45 to 50 MPH range. These engines have straight cut gears which are noisier (and cheaper to make) than helical cut gears. One plus is straight cut gears are stronger. I switched to full synthetic oil and it helped a bit, but not enough to be a real fix. The way these machines are laid out tends to amplify or direct noise right at the rider. Brake pads rubbing is one such noise, straight cut gear whine is another.
    I too have a 2017 RTL SE6 - I have whine at about 35-45 MPH. I agree that I also believe it to be straight cut gears. Stronger, but noisy. I also run Fed Fermoza (front), but the noise was there before changing from stock tires.

Spyder Garage

Knowing that others have this issue and that it’s normal, I’ll learn to live with it.

Spyder Garage

May be coming from the back seat. Shut off intercom
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I own a 2019 F3 and have the same gear noise from 40 to 50 MPH regardless of what gear I am using. The idler pulley I installed eliminated belt vibration at 70 MPH but did nothing for the gear noise. I am afraid that this is horrible noise is atypical for the can am spyder F3.

Spyder Garage

My goldwing,hayabusa all had the same spot where the gear noise was most noticeable. It just how the gears are designed and it is what it is.

Yes my 2018 rtl does it too
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue