Spyder Garage

Default 28000 mile service

Just completed the 28000 mile service on my 2015 RTL. It's a lot of work, and took about 10 hours total. If I had to do it again, I could probably do it all in about 6 hours. I spent a lot of time looking for shortcuts that just weren't there! Especially when it came to the spark plugs. I've never had the frunk off before, but it actually took longer to remove the bumpskid to get to the 2 lower bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

What was the gross cost of the maintenance?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    What was the gross cost of the maintenance?
    Somewhere between $350-$400. That was for oil, HCM, fuel, & evap filters. Engine oil, coolant, spark plugs and some misc oetiker clamps.

Spyder Garage

Good value. I had my dealer do mine and it was about $900 parts, labor, and tax. This also included AmsOil, which is a bit more expensive. I just didn't want to tackle all of it myself. I might do Jacque's F3S when it comes time or I might have my dealer do all or some.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Somewhere between $350-$400. That was for oil, HCM, fuel, & evap filters. Engine oil, coolant, spark plugs and some misc oetiker clamps.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, $900? Guess I'll be doing it myself. What parts do I need? Seems a little excessive to be replacing iridium spark plugs at 28k. Those are usually good for 100k in cars/trucks.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Hmmm, $900? Guess I'll be doing it myself. What parts do I need? Seems a little excessive to be replacing iridium spark plugs at 28k. Those are usually good for 100k in cars/trucks.
    These are the costs per item if you get them through me.

SE6 Trans Filter - $96.50
    SM6/SE6 Oil Filter Kit - $13.95
    SM6/SE6 Spark Plug Set - $27.95
    Total - $138.40

Prices include shipping. There will be tax if you live in Tennessee. You can see all of these items and more by clicking on the link below.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets

I do not carry the fuel or Evap filters.

I also carry Amsoil for the Spyder. It usually runs about $13.50 per quart if you just get 5 quarts. About $11.50 per quart if you get a case of 12 quarts. Of course there are less expensive options for oil.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Total - $138.40

Prices include shipping. There will be tax if you live in Tennessee. You can see all of these items and more by clicking on the link below.

I also carry Amsoil for the Spyder. It usually runs about $13.50 per quart if you just get 5 quarts. About $11.50 per quart if you get a case of 12 quarts. Of course there are less expensive options for oil.
    I did get a lot of this from Ron. He's great to deal with and has very fast shipping. The 28k service does call for coolant change also. Ron, you need to make a "coolant change kit" which would include the Oetiker clamp for the lower radiator hose. I had to source that elsewhere and pay astronomical shipping. Brett

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Total - $138.40

I’m wanting a quote on an oil change kit for my 2013 RT Limited. Shipping to 72764. Thanks in advance
    2013 Spyder RT Limited , Metallic Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    I have 45,000 + miles on my plugs …. I don't think there are any issues …. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have 45,000 + miles on my plugs …. I don't think there are any issues …. jmho …. Mike
    I agree with Mike here. I have done spark plugs on a couple 1330s at 28 to 30 and one that had 50k. Old spark plugs were running fine and looking at them and measuring the gap, the old plugs had many more miles in them. There was no noticeable improvement for changing them. For most its not worth the effort and labor cost to change them. No idea how long they will last but usually when the gap grows, idle quality and fuel economy suffer. If you know your bike, you will know when its time...but its a long time with the iridium plugs.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I changed my plugs out at a little over 35k miles and mine were noticeably worn once I got them out and inspected. Once new ones were installed the did bike run better.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Coolant time saver tip. If, it works for you?

Why I do it this way.

Had the dealer do my first coolant drain and replace, as luck would have it when the tech pulled the radiator drain plug, it broke. That put the Spyder out of service until a new radiator arrived.

So since then, once a month I evacuate and refill the coolant tank with around 28 ounces of fresh stuff(always kept at the full/MAX mark).

Takes less than 10 minutes.

Also keep NAPA's coolant test strips on hand to check coolant quality & PH, as needed.

Because there's always fresh coolant being introduced, the coolant system stays happy and healthy year round.

This may or may not work for you. It has worked for me.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Coolant time saver tip. If, it works for you?

Why I do it this way.

Had the dealer do my first coolant drain and replace, as luck would have it when the tech pulled the radiator drain plug, it broke. That put the Spyder out of service until a new radiator arrived.

So since then, once a month I evacuate and refill the coolant tank with around 28 ounces of fresh stuff(always kept at the full/MAX mark).

Takes less than 10 minutes.

Also keep NAPA's coolant test strips on hand to check coolant quality & PH, as needed.

Because there's always fresh coolant being introduced, the coolant system stays happy and healthy year round.

This may or may not work for you. It has worked for me.
    Yep - a - roo , that will definitely work ….. It will work twice as well if you do it every TWO weeks ….. all the best …. Mike