Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Frequency of Getting Laser Alignment?

Shortly after purchasing my 2016 F3-T two years ago, I got it laser aligned. I've now put about 10-11K miles on it since then and am wondering whether I should have it aligned again.

How frequently do you get your spyder laser aligned?

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

You should have the front end realigned after any modifications that alter the vehicles front end ride height. This would include new shocks, adding Baja Ron preload adjusters, adding spring rubbers, or on older vehicles the shock mount brackets.

With your machine, if aligned when new, there may have been some slight settling of the springs. Likely the alignment remains acceptable, however it would not be out of tne question to have it checked / realigned.

There is differing opinions on if the alignment needs to be redone after a rear tire change. My opinion is that if the tire was changed and the belt tracking was proper prior to the tire change, no adjustments were made to the belt, and belt tracking remained as before, then no alignment is needed. Others believe alignments are required any time the rear wheel is removed or belt tension is adjusted.

Spyder Garage

Not necessary unless you hit a huge pothole, have a wreck, or run over a large rock or log.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Not necessary unless you hit a huge pothole, have a wreck, or run over a large rock or log.
    With no adjustments possible to caster or camber, the pothole, wreck or running over debris would have had to bend the frame, suspension arm or possibly a tie rod. Simply, there is nothing to move on impact to alter the alignment.

With that said, Charlenes Spyder did hit a hole, the handlebars went out of alignment to the wheels, the shop stated the alignment was correct, somehow the bars had turned, and the steering sensor was not aligned correctly.

Spyder Garage

Curious? what is the average cost for this alignment?? newbie here...

Spyder Garage

Squared Away does it for $125 ( that was 2.5 years ago).
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Squared Away charges $130 and we recommend that you have it done weekly. Just kidding, PMK gave good info though.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Where can I get a laser alignment in Southern California?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    You could buy a couple of laser levels and DIY it. Save the money and spend it on beer!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Simply, there is nothing to move on impact to alter the alignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ...Charlenes Spyder did hit a hole..... somehow the bars had turned, and the steering sensor was not aligned correctly.
    Are you sure that's rational PMK!?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Shortly after purchasing my 2016 F3-T two years ago, I got it laser aligned. I've now put about 10-11K miles on it since then and am wondering whether I should have it aligned again.

How frequently do you get your spyder laser aligned?

Thanks!
    When it needs it, just like cars.

I have 23k on mine and never done it. My wife's has been done twice with 3k fewer miles. No idea why.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Just remember that the 'laser' bit is just one of the methods/tools available to make the task of doing a wheel alignment easier to physically do as well as easier to get it right - but there are a fair few other equally as accurate wheel alignment methods, altho they are usually a bit more complex to do & get right, but that shouldn't be an issue if they are done by someone who is appropriately skilled!

That said, I 'aim' to get all of my vehicles re-aligned whenever I fit new tires and whenever I do any work or driving/ryding that might adversely affect their alignment. On our 4WD's & road cars, that means they get re-aligned & their wheels re-balanced about every 10,000 km, which is also when I rotate the tires front to rear & across, ensuring the tires wear evenly & last a fair bit longer before they wear out. On my Spyder, I do an alignment with every new set of front tires, and like PMK up in post #2, also whenever I do any work that might change the alignment or any ryding that could've upset things up front.... but then I do have easy access to the alignment gear & it doesn't cost me anything!

And I don't 'rotate' my Spyder's tires either, flipping them on their rims then swapping them from left to right & vice versa, which I believe IS the recommended practice for the OE Kendas at every 10,000km IF you're lucky enough to have yours last that long! The 'flip them on their rims' bit is to keep the directional tread rolling in the right direction when you swap them from one side to the other, but that's not strictly necessary for non-directional tires anyway, altho it might help even out any excessive wear that's happening only on one side of your tire's tread. However, since a good wheel alignment generally means minimal uneven tread wear like that, swapping the tires from one side to the other pretty much becomes an exercise in futility. Sure, it might help the OE Kendas last longer before completely scrubbing out one side of the tread, IF you are still running on the factory alignment; but if you've had a good wheel alignment done then even if you're still running the OE spec Kendas, they should last reasonably well up front without any scrubbing or scalloping. If they are still wearing poorly despite a good wheel alignment from a competent operator, then it's probably time to carefully check & remedy any front suspension wear/issues before you replace them with a better tire & check the alignment anyway!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

He will be at the 2019 "Spyders In The Hills" rally in Oct. in Kerrville, Texas. What better excuse could you have for a road trip.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Spyder Garage

He will be at the 2019 "Spyders In The Hills" rally in Oct. in Kerrville, Texas. What better excuse could you have for a road trip.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.