Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Wink Help with my purchase please. 2009 GS SM5- Made a Purchase

I hope I am placing this in the right spot. I found a 2009 GS sm5 with under 2000 miles. I took it for a ride (1st time ever riding one) and it was weird at first as I'm used to 2 wheels. Anyway, here's where I need help for those that own one already. I didn't want to buy it until I received some feedback. The owner said they've only had two problems since they bought it. 1. was the sensor or relay that showed you how much gas you should have needed to be replaced and the 2nd was The break light error came on. They took to the dealer where they had the error removed but they could not replicate the error. They showed me the paper work and it shows that brakes were inspected but everything was fine.

So here are my concerns. Are these prone to have brake light errors come up? Also, there's brake squeaking but wasn't sure if that is normal since they took it to a dealer and had them checked out? The other thing is I took into a parking lot and started doing figure eights, circles, and such and could hear something rubbing in the back. Could this be the brake pads or something else? Just don't know enough about the Spyder to drop my money without doing some homework and getting some feedback. Thanks to all that may help me with my purchasing decision. Your help is much appreciated!

Hoping to own one soon.

-SpyderCam
    Last edited by SpyderCam; 08-03-2019 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Made a Purchase
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The rear brake on my 2008 GS SM5 has rubbed/squeaked since the day I brought it home in 2012.
    It will squeak after applying the brakes but go away after a few rotations of the rear wheel.
    I ignore it now. The brake pads seem to last for a long time.

The level of the brake fluid in the twin reservoir under the seat is sensitive & needs to be kept full. It only takes a little to top it up. One reservoir cap is for the front brakes & the other for the rear one.

Not sure what you mean about the gas. Is the gas gauge giving false readings or no reading at all?
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I own an SE-5 2009. No brake light errors,rubbing might be belt riding to close to sprocket flange. Rear brake some times makes noise in reverse-no cure. (backup alarm) Probability will need to change plug wires and vacuum hoses. Perform canactomy check y pipe gaskets,and use spyder pops heat kit on radiator side for heat control on leg. Maybe have alignment on front see how tire wear is. Mine seems to be pretty bullet proof. How to do all this can be found in threads on this site. Not real expensive to do this if you can do the work yourself.
    Good luck.

Spyder Garage

2009 RS: Brakes...if you get crud in the actuator, it prevents the light from shutting off some times. Is this the error you are referring to? Been there and done that with both the 08 and 09 that we had.

You will encounter the 998 engine...which is now discontinued. Many prefer the three cylinder 1330 these days. Better mileage, smoother operation, less required maintenance.

09 RS should be sub $10K. (as in $8 to $10).
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

@oldgoat

When I was talking about the gauge. It was not showing up on the dash. So a part needed to be replaced so that you would be able to see and know how much gas was in the spyder.

Thanks for your reply.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

@yellowperil

Thanks for the feedback I will have to look more into this.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

@ARtraveler

Thanks for the reply. The way the brakes were explained to me was that when riding the brakes felt funny and the brake light error came on the dash. They then took to the dealer this past March and they reset the code and tried to replicate the error but could not. They checked the brakes and everything looked fine. The only thing noted on the pw was probable voltage issue. Not sure what that means? Can pickup for 7k
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Brake error can also be caused by low brake fluid. Most of the time, a tablespoon or less will solve the problem. Steep hills up or down will set this off. $7K is a GOOD price.

Under 2K miles is also a plus...IF...it was not ridden a lot, by an old lady, who only went shopping on Saturdays. If not ridden because of mechanical issues...that is another story.

If you end up buying it...you should get all the fluids and oil filter changed out. At 10 years it is time for all that. New rubber might also be a good idea. Tires over five years old should be changed out.

I would do one more thing. Have a dealer run the VIN for you. This will pick up the service history in detail. If it has been in the shop a lot...run away. PS...don't let any dealer sell you a 28K valve job service. They don't need it...and they cost about $1000 to do. The 1330's do not require a valve job at all.

Good luck with your hunt.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-06-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Buy you a nearer Spyder (2014 up) and it will have the 1330 engine in it, if it is a F3 or RT. This what everyone wants, and you will like it a lot better. With prices where they are, the 2014 and up will not cost you that much more!
    I made that mistake and bought a 2013 with the 998 engine! In less than a year i was so disappointed and traded it for a 2016 RT Limited!

Spyder Garage

@ARtraveler

It was ridden by a woman who needs to have surgery on her knee. That's why she's not able to ride so it's been sitting in her garage. Pulling up the vin# is a great idea. I will have to call the dealer and check that out. As far as all the stuff you recommend to replace or update is there a ball park cost for all that you mentioned? Truly appreciate your feedback.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

@south GA Farm Boy

Man if I could afford a newer one I would. Where I'm at the prices are pretty high. But I will look as I may come across something. Thanks.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Oil change, filters, other fluids--Oil change by a dealer usually about $300. Add another $200 or so for other fluids (brake, radiator, etc) and labor. New tires (fronts about $100 a piece, rear $150 or so) labor etc. Most dealers are at $120 per hour. Just a ball park idea....but plan on about $1000. It will be money well spent. Hope this helps you.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the VIN with the dealer - there was a recall to fix a faulty gas cap, and another for fuel vent hose. Make sure these were done.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

@asp125
    Thanks I will do that. Appreciate the feedback
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

@Artraveler
    Thanks for the reply really appreciate it. I found another one it's a 2011 RSS but the owner said the brake code is on the dash. Just makes me wonder if it's just coincidence or there are brake issues with the spyder?
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

No brake issues that I am aware of, other than the warning light if the system reads low brake fluid due to steep grades.

I have owned five Spyders, still have two of them. Over 145,000 total miles. No brake or other mechanical issues. My signature gives all the particulars.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If, you decide to make the purchase. It would be wise to change the oil and filters, drain and replace the coolant, and do a complete break flush. If the bike has set a lot, which it surely has. All of the fluids are beyond shelf life, much less system life. Also, and I'm just trying to be helpful. I'd look at the floor where it's parked for signs of leakage from any gaskets, as well, I'd take it for a good spin and see if any leaks appear after its been run a bit. Just things to be aware of when purchasing older low mileage equipment. Low mileage can be good, or bad. jm2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

@Jerbear

Thanks for the reply. That was the first thing I looked for before and after and did not see any leaks. I will definitely do all recommendations provided here. I want a safe reliable ride.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

@ARtraveler

The picture that was sent to me with the error on the dash has a red exclamation point with the word brake across the middle that's it. The owner states that the Spyder runs and brakes fine but of course I'd like the dealer to take a look at it. It's an RSS with 3400 miles. I'm going to do as you and others suggested and have the vin#'s checked. The 2 I've looked at both have low miles but brake errors. Thanks again for your feedback everyone here has been helpful.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    2009 RS: Brakes...if you get crud in the actuator, it prevents the light from shutting off some times. Is this the error you are referring to? Been there and done that with both the 08 and 09 that we had.

You will encounter the 998 engine...which is now discontinued. Many prefer the three cylinder 1330 these days. Better mileage, smoother operation, less required maintenance.

09 RS should be sub $10K. (as in $8 to $10).
    Had I read down another post or two, I wouldn't have parroted your words.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Had I read down another post or two, I wouldn't have parroted your words.
    No problem my friend. Great minds always run in the same directions.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a 2013 Spyder, an RS SM5, basically the same as what you're looking at. Yes, they do have noisy brakes. Not to worry, it's pretty normal. As far as the brake error, that isn't normal but if it hasn't come back, the brakes work fine and the price for the GS is good, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is possible the error came because the rider was "riding" the brakes. If you do things you shouldn't while riding, you can get various "nanny" codes..basically tell you, "tsk tsk, don't do that again".
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

@TerryTheSpyderRyder

Thanks for the reply. Everything you stated from your experience is what is happening with the first bike. It has under 3000 miles, the brakes squeak at times, and the bike was taken in for inspection which the owner provided the pw. The dealer could not replicate the error and said everything looked fine. This maybe the first one I go with and if so do all the things that have been recommended here. I have time as the owners are on vacation until the July 17th. Gives me time to look over all my options.

Now I have a question for you or anyone else that reads this how do you feel about buying a 2010 Rs sm5 with 10000 miles. Owner says they can provide paperwork that they just put new tires, brakes, and new clutch with warranty still on it. They added a windshield, lights, muffler and back rest to it. The pictures sent to me Spyder looks clean. Just curious on thought? Thanks again.
    2014 RS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My 2009GS had the DPS replaced and Many did. Something that's been sitting could have chewed wires from rodents- Where was in stored may give you a tip. Just be careful of gremelins??

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

@Sarge707

Nice! Never crossed my mind about rodents. The Spyder was parked in a garage next to a nice Harley. Don't think this is the case but you brought something I didn't even think about Thanks! DPS the power steering?
    2014 RS , Pearl White