Thread: compass

Spyder Garage

Default compass

What a beautiful day for a ride today. Got a little wet at the end but it felt good.

Has anyone moubted a compass to theirs bike and if so what-where- and how
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

A What? Just kidding, my GPS (stock handlebar mount) and Phone (above dash RT Dash mount), both give me compass heading in mapping apps.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

No, not mounted on the bike, but I did carry one in a vest pocket for years. I have never had a GPS on any vehicle. Had a fairly expensive compass that I carried on the bike and used maps if I needed them. Usually just went in a general direction without ever looking at the maps. Got a marine electronic compass in the dash of my truck. Most of the time I can tell what direction I am going by the sun and just the way the light feels. Have looked at the compass a few times when it was very foggy or overcast early in the morning. I don't normally have set destination nor a time to get there, so usually, I just don't care where I am going.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I'm also curious as to whether you can mount an old-fashioned floating compass somewhere on the dash. I have an old one my father-in-law gifted me many years ago, and I'd like to put it in use.

Unfortunately, all the electronics in a modern dash tend to interfere with a compass' magnets. I tried mounting such on my BMW RT years ago, but with the electronic interference, the dial just spun like a whirling dervish.

I too do not have GPS on my bike, and prefer paper maps, but I'd like to know which direction I'm headed while riding twisty roads.

Spyder Garage

Default Perhaps the right one

I carry a gps in the frunk and have used it maybe two time in seven years to find an address. As for direction living by the pacific ocean headings are very easy to know. Have mostly ryden in any direction with little worry as you will always come upon a major road or highway eventually and it will take you home. The other compasses never worked unless they have some newer ones that do with all the magnets and electronics.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I don't see why a good quality marine compass would not work on a Spyder. You might have to mount it up on the windshield or some place like that, just a few inches away from the metal and electrics. I had compasses mounted on every saltwater boat I ever owned, long before GPS was reasonably priced. A good quality marine compass mounted on the side of the windshield maybe 10 inches above the dash area should give fairly accurate readings. The good compasses will have adjustment settings to compensate for the metal mass.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I just want one in case I need it. I was just on vaca in Salerno, Italy and when walking in the paths between the buildings (none of which go straight, it was like a maze and you cn tell where the sun was coming from it took a while to ge back to the water.

Sometimes on twisties thru the woods on an overcast day you dn have any bearing to find out which way in which.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO