Spyder Garage

Default Getting C-Spine Surgery Have Questions

Later this month I will be having C5-7 fused and C4-7 discs replaced. I will be wearing a hard collar for at least a month, and a bone growth stimulator for 4 hours a day for 3-4 months, You ask why an I having it done now/ Well, I live in Las Vegas where it gets up to 115 in the summer, and I don't ride much from now till the fall, that is when my riding season really starts. Would like to hear from some people here who have had similar surgeries. How is the range of motion after recovery. Are you turn your head enough to check lanes?

Thanks
    Rick
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    Later this month I will be having C5-7 fused and C4-7 discs replaced. I will be wearing a hard collar for at least a month, and a bone growth stimulator for 4 hours a day for 3-4 months, You ask why an I having it done now/ Well, I live in Las Vegas where it gets up to 115 in the summer, and I don't ride much from now till the fall, that is when my riding season really starts. Would like to hear from some people here who have had similar surgeries. How is the range of motion after recovery. Are you turn your head enough to check lanes?

Thanks
    Rick
    Can't give you advice on this however sending many ……… for a successful surgery and recovery … Mike

Spyder Garage

I had a lumbar fusion, so can't answer your question exactly. But I can tell you to be sure and ask for all the range of motion exercises you can do, and stick with them. I know in my case even at a younger age they were painful, but I think I am still paying for it now because I didn't follow through with them.
    Good luck on surgery and recovery.

Spyder Garage

Discs at C3-C4, C5-C6 removed, as well as C7-T1 removed. I elected to have the vertebrae fuse together over time. Started doing PT at the 6 month mark. I had pain for a several years. Then it all started to back off. My neck is almost back to where it was. Only use Ibuprofen 800mg when I need it. PT is the key. Lots of stretching excerises. Heat and cold packs. I went back to riding about 5 years after the surgery. It is no longer major surgery. Mine was done in 1989. Now they do it as outpatient surgery. Methods have improved greatly since my surgery. Good luck with yours. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Can't give you advice on this however sending many ……… for a successful surgery and recovery … Mike

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Your range of motion may take time to return. Mine took a lot longer than I had hoped. Wife did most all the driving. Get into the PT hard. Don't wimp out on it. If it hurts, stop. Slow down. Build it up at a slow pace. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the Replies! Looking forward to getting this done and back riding and kayaking!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

You may want to talk to the dr. about what precautions you have to follow after surgery, and for how long are those precautions. Typically, when you go to P.T. they will follow thiose precautions from the dr., and then get more intense (regarding exercise) after the precautions. As I think was already mentioned, once done with physical therapy continue on with the exercises. Maybe ask the therapist for a home program to continue after your last visit. I worked both rehab in the hospital, and out patient. Just remember, if you have precautions to follow, make sure to follow them.

Speedy recovery to you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I had a lumbar fusion, so can't answer your question exactly. But I can tell you to be sure and ask for all the range of motion exercises you can do, and stick with them. I know in my case even at a younger age they were painful, but I think I am still paying for it now because I didn't follow through with them.
    Good luck on surgery and recovery.
    This: is good advice. I once worked as an exercise physiologist in back rehab. Then in April of 2005 I had bi level fusion from L3 to L5. Following the protocols with the physical therapists is VERY important. Maybe more important is to realize the PTs are teaching you what you need to do for the rest of your life if you want to get back to and remain at 100% following surgery.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Yes, I plan on an active Physical Therapy regime, since I am now at the medicare age, I can go anytime if feel I need an assist. Just not really looking forward to wearing a hard neck brace for 6 weeks, but time will go by. I will try not to be to much trouble for my wife. Thanks for all your advice! It is greatly appreciated!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    2018 F3L , Intense Red