Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Show chrome plugs or gold plugs for 1330

What is your take on show chrome plugs vs gold plugs on 15RTS or newer?

Spyder Garage

I don't care about the show chrome. Nobody so far has ever laid down to look under my Spyder. I bought the plugs because they have the hex head on them. There is a lot more to get a grip on with a 12mm or 14mm socket than the m6 hex/torx of the OEM plugs. The hex and torx will be full of road grime and you have to pick them clean to get the tool in them enough to turn them. Socket will go on the hex head after just brushing the under side off. I changed mine on the first oil change. Don't care what brand or what they want to call them as long as they have the hex head on them. Both the plugs I put on have the magnetic tip on them to catch debris.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The one for the transmission side is fine. The one on the engine side with the dual o-rings is highly NOT recommended. They both add a magnet in the end of the plug. That would be fine except it leaves a thin wall weak point at the o'ring groove just above the threads. Our shop has had two of them break of when trying to remove. They snap at the o'ring groove leaving the threaded portion up inside the engine. One we were able to coax out with some work. The other required an engine tear down. very expensive lesson. We will not install them. Bikes that come to us with one installed we inform the owner we are not responsible if it breaks on removal and we replace it with an oem plug.

Using the right tool, there is nothing wrong with the T45 torx head on the oem plug. Have never stripped one and have done a great many oil changes on these bikes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have also read some horror stories about the OEM drain plugs breaking off in the case. There could be more to it than just the wall thickness of the gold plugs. Over torqued on installation, trying to take it out with case really hot, maybe bad torque wrench. It would take a lot of pressure to sheer off even a thin wall hollow bolt.

Has anybody ever split one of the gold plugs lengthwise to see what the wall thickness really is? Looked for a picture on the Internet and found nothing. That doesn't mean there is not one there, I just didn't find it.

Spyder Garage

Just replaced both drain plugs with gold plugs today.....torqued to spec. Hopefully I never have a problem like mentioned above.
    I never heard about them snapping off until this thread....

P.W.

Spyder Garage

I am staying with my gold plugs too. Dealer will never touch my oil plugs.

Spyder Garage

I have the Show Chrome plugs, because I wanted hex head plugs. I had a couple of instances where I did not get the Torx in far enough and almost stripped out the head. I think that is the reason most people have a problem with the Torx or the Allen Head.Any have not had any problem with the Show Chrome and at 6.95 I was happy. They do the job.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    Just replaced both drain plugs with gold plugs today.....torqued to spec. Hopefully I never have a problem like mentioned above.
    I never heard about them snapping off until this thread....

P.W.
    I don't think the GOLD plugs were having this problem ….. It was reported that " DIMPLE " brand appeared to have a lager Magnet so the thread area was thinner, therefore weaker …… The real problem is OVER tightening either plug …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't think the GOLD plugs were having this problem ….. It was reported that " DIMPLE " brand appeared to have a lager Magnet so the thread area was thinner, therefore weaker …… The real problem is OVER tightening either plug …… Mike
    Actually, when I did my drain plug comparison, the Gold plug magnet diameter is larger than the Dimple Drain Plug. In short, the Gold Plugs have less material.

The plug with the most material is the stock ones, however, while doing the comparison, a local rider gave me his stock drain plug that had failed. He was fortunate to have it come of of the case without crisis.

Agree that overtorquing is a concern. If you consider the torque called out in the manual is for clean dry threads, any residual oil will result in overtorquing the drain plug.

Spyder Garage

and since you can't get clean dry threads once you have oil in the unit, what's the point of such a torque value.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I don't torque mine. I just run them in until I feel it snug down and then put just a slight amount of twist on them with a short 3/8 ratchet. I been putting the plugs in motorcycle cases like that all my life and never had one leak or come out. Seen a lot of stripped threads on the old aluminum cases from over tightening the plugs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not sure what brand the ones that broke off for me were but they appeared to be different so perhaps I had one of each.

Both broke at removal. I will not install one of them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Dimple plugs and I do not torque them. I just snug them and they are fine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I have the Dimple plugs and I do not torque them. I just snug them and they are fine.
    Yep, that's what both customers that had broken ones thought. One of them was a 4 digit repair bill. We are not the only shop that has seen the problem.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    What is your take on show chrome plugs vs gold plugs on 15RTS or newer?
    Update. I went with the gold plugs which I ordered off of amazon & they came packed nice with the almost all seals except the green one on transmission. Lucky I had ordered the k&n filter kit from Bajaron which had one supplied. Install was actually easier then the oem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yep, that's what both customers that had broken ones thought. One of them was a 4 digit repair bill. We are not the only shop that has seen the problem.
    I might be way off base,,,,,but would Never-Seize or some other aluminum friendly grease work to keep the plugs from getting "Jammed Up and Jelly Tight"? I used Never-Seize on EVERY bolt(especially the wheel lug nuts) on my Jeep CJ5 back in the Olden Days but there wasn't ANY Aluminum on it (except the intake manifold).
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I might be way off base,,,,,but would Never-Seize or some other aluminum friendly grease work to keep the plugs from getting "Jammed Up and Jelly Tight"? I used Never-Seize on EVERY bolt(especially the wheel lug nuts) on my Jeep CJ5 back in the Olden Days but there wasn't ANY Aluminum on it (except the intake manifold).
    In regards to removal and preventing the drain plugs from getting stuck it should absolutely work. During installation, it could be possible to more easily over tighten the drain plugs, creating other possible issues such as failed drain plugs or possibly pulled threads.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I use it on the plugs ( the copper high heat stuff )….. What really helps is a hard tap on the plugs BEFORE you try to remove ….. I know this won't happen to you , but I have always set my ratchet to loosen Prior to putting in the plug ….. good luck, … Mike