Spyder Garage

Default Input from those who used a small trailer frame from Northern Tool or Harbor freight

At approx. $400, I am considering strongly using one of these and adding a "rooftop car carrier" for a pull behind unit for our 2014 RTL.
    I know others have done this, so I am asking for input on what if anything did you change on it, for traveling at highway speeds (I note the 12" tires are rated as 45 MPH top.) I also understand checking the wheel bearings as delivered for "full grease status". 45 MPH vs. "usual" highway speed seems an issue. Yes/no ? Have you mounted better rated tires? Will the hub take any 14" bolt pattern by chance?

Any help here from you SL do it yerselferrs appreciated.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Ray, There was a thread on here a few months ago about the Northern Tool Tag Along trailer. In about the same price range. You may want to do some bearing and tire upgrades but that is in the cards for any in this price point anyway. Worth a look..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Get a trailer with at least 13” wheels for highway riding or you won’t be happy with the trailer

(EDITED: I meant to say at least 12" Tires)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RT622 has 12 inch wheels and been working fine. Why 13?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a HF trailer that has been modified to be a cargo trailer...It has been trouble free...Buying replacement wheel seals when servicing bearings was impossible from any source except HF...Took 3 weeks to get them...

If I were to build another trailer, I would purchase the frame and axle assembly from Northern Tool with a brand name axle...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seen a HB trailer that someone put together on another Trike Site.

He used diamond plate and a roof rack

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/thre...ad-a-good-deal

Spyder Garage

I just bought my second trailer from Northern Tool. It's a 6' X 12' aluminum Carry-on that works very well for my 2018 RTL. Just back from a week in CO and performed super. didn't even know it was behind my RAM truck.. they were asking $2,100 for the trailer and offered them $1,800 and they accepted.. Just an FYI.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had several harbor freight tagalong trailers and towed them at 80mph behind a motorcycle with no issues. I removed a leaf from each spring to create a more compliant ride is about all. Most recently I added new wheels and tires designed for high speed use and lower pressure for a softer ride.

Tagalong 1.jpg

Tagalong 2.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-08-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Add pics
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The RT622 has 12 inch wheels and been working fine. Why 13?
    That was my mistake, i should have said at least 12" tires and not the smaller ones that come on some utility trailer, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like UtahPete I removed one spring and lowered the psi and it tows great. I pumped enough grease into the zerk fitting to push grease all the way out of the other side of outside bearing. That made it full. Put indoor/outdoor carpet inside to protect contents and got the small special trailer latch lock made just for trailers. Leave it parked out of sight for 10 minutes and someone will steal it if you don't have it secured. If you're suspicious of the 45 mph limit on 8" tire, get a spare, they're not expensive and easy to carry. Just don't over load the trailer. That little trailer is designed to carry more than what your spyder is designed to pull. The trailer weighs 150 lbs by its self. Put a 8"x8"x12" block of wood under the trailer's frame between the tail lights and you can stand the trailer up off the floor in the garage without damaging it, and save a lot of space. Secure the tongue to the wall with a short piece of rope so it won't fall over. You'll be happy and save a ton and half of $$$$ with that little trailer.