Spyder Garage

Default Recommendations of Speakers for 2016 RT Limited

Would like to upgrade speakers and was looking for recommendations as to what speakers people have used, I know some have used Hogtunes, not sure what others. Also, did you add an amp as well, if so what type?
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Would like to upgrade speakers and was looking for recommendations as to what speakers people have used, I know some have used Hogtunes, not sure what others. Also, did you add an amp as well, if so what type?
    I have a 14 RT but yours would be the same..... I swapped out the OEM speakers and installed JBL GTO 528 & GTO 508c …. front and rear ...they are 5.25in. …. Yes you can enlarge the rear to fit the 5.25in easily …. If you don't do all Four - what you will hear is the Two Crappy oem's over the good ones.…. because they are 2ohm, you don't need an AMP …. I can easily hear mine at 80mph ….. these are older Models , so go to E-bay and find someone with New, Old stock ……I have been using these for 42,000+ miles and they sound Fabulous ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I couldn't find Mike's suggestion when I went looking and picked up some Polk DB522 Marine certified 300W 4ohm 5.25 CoAx speakers that are also plenty loud and allow me to listen at highway speeds.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Is there a reason why you used two different JBL's? JBLs were what was quoted to me yesterday at local stereo shop but don't recall the number $379 for all four, just wasn't sure if would fit.

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Is there a reason why you used two different JBL's? JBLs were what was quoted to me yesterday at local stereo shop but don't recall the number $379 for all four, just wasn't sure if would fit.
    Because the first time I swapped out the rear speakers I used JBL - GTO 450's …. because I knew they would fit …… After putting those in, I realized I could squeeze 5.25's in …. The 508c's are better than the 528 …. and I found them for about $80.00 on E-bay , so I bought them and swapped with the GTO 450 …… you live and learn ( at least try to )……….to fit the 5.25in. speaker in the rear ….you will need to make a template 4 5/8in in Diameter , then put this over the OEM speaker hole …. trim the excess, and it will give you enough room ….. Also check out Laura Brito's video / pics on doing this ….. she has it on Her MODS page ….. PS the reason 2 ohm speakers are imo, better because they only have HALF the resistance …. so this effectively doubles the output of your receiver / radio ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Is there an issue with putting a strain on charging system when adding an amp?

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Is there an issue with putting a strain on charging system when adding an amp?
    Well AMPS do have a power Draw ….. I' don't think that would be an issue with the 1330 engine system …. But the V-Twin has much less lee-way for an added power draw ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    PS the reason 2 ohm speakers are imo, better because they only have HALF the resistance …. so this effectively doubles the output of your receiver / radio ….. Mike

If you drive a set of 2 ohm speakers with an amplifier rated for 4 ohm speakers, you are requiring the amplifier to double the power output in order to drive the speakers. ... But at high volume, the amplifier can overheat and burn out the output amplifier transistor section of the stereo.

The speaker impedance has to match the amplifier. Will the 2-Ohm speakers work? YES. You WILL run the risk of over-driving the final amp section of your system, especially at higher volumes, like at highway speeds. Better to spend what is necessary to put the proper speakers in your trike. They are much cheaper that a new radio system.

From the Tech Manual: SPEAKER TESTING (AT RADIO CONNECTOR) SPEAKER RADIO CONNECTOR OHMS ALL speakers 3.2 to 4.3 Ohms
    Last edited by dpetrick; 07-10-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Took out the BULLHOCKEY and don't do it . No need to shout.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just put a set of pioneer on the rear of mine.

I have to locate the box to get you a part number.

Still have to do the fronts .

Spyder Garage

For all of those who are actually open-minded, can admit they are wrong, and do not pretend to know everything, I humbly offer these learning aides:

ohm trangle.JPG

power triangle.JPG

ohm-piechart.JPG

^^^ Those are likely Not to be found in the cubicles of any Millennial sales / CS weenies, lol. Which may explain the bogus responses.

To the rest (or the one), I'm left only with this:

Hopefully, this post stays up long enough to benefit a few folks - but I'm not holding my breath.

Sarge - I wish you all the best, sir. Keep fighting the good fight - someone has to.

I'm out.
    E
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2019 at 02:09 AM. Reason: edited out argument against BK. The pie chart stuff is good.

Spyder Garage

This thread is is getting argumentative. If you want to disagree with someone, keep it civil. Moderators are watching this thread. Stick to facts and stop the name calling and all cap comments.
    Last edited by dpetrick; 07-10-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

All, My goal is NOT to argue, there are allot of good points in the thread, but to add a point or two.

First, the main consideration on how loud a speaker will play is NOT the impedance (resistance), but instead the Speaker sensitivity (or efficiency) level. Sensitivity accounts for several factors. It is typically displayed as "X dB @1W @1 meter" or similar. From a quick look the JBL GTO-528s are 91 dB/W/m.....very sensitive/efficient. Many common speakers are in the mid to upper 80s, a high sensitivity speaker in in the 90s. I do note ......Polk Audio has some 4 ohm 5.25 inch marine speakers rated at 91 dB/W/m (Polk DB522). Not advertising Polk speakers, although I love them given marine rating, just pointing out there are 4 Ohm speakers as efficient as many 2 ohms.

As for a 2 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm amp, I would not personally do it, but it seems proven for spiders before the new audio system. If it works, I do not argue it, but a 2 ohm speaker will flow more current and absolutely will increase heat (and likely distortion/clipping) within the amp.

I will say, I can't argue with ANY of Sarge's points/facts though, and certainly not with his quals! I have an electrical engineering degree, roughly the equivalent of sleeping in a holiday inn, I am sure Sarge has seen what happens when an amp is improperly loaded on multiple occasions. Thanks Sarge for your Service.

Having installed several speaker systems on various motorcycles and Polaris Slignshots, Polk has become a go to for me. I've never had a Polk fail, they are very sufficient/sensitive, and are marine rated. JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, and multiple others have solutions but often at the expense of lower sensitivity. If one thing is taken away, you want speakers that sound good, match amp impedance requirements, and have high sensitivity to get the most out of limited amp power.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know I am ok

Speaking of a external Amp. I hope someday I can install the one I bought. Even though I pretty happy so far that I can still here the stero. But I know more its related to the XM radio too. Seems to be louder in general.

Spyder Garage

Thread closed due to repeated sniping after warning not to.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White