Spyder Garage

Default (blink) limp mode

Hi Guys:
    Early this morning my wife went to the grocery store about 2.5 miles from home on my 600 Ryker. Leaving the store, she drove about 200 ft and the engine light came on and limp mode came across the screen. She stopped. and turned off the engine. She wanted a few minutes and started the engine. The engine light came on but the limp mode did not. She decided to drive home slowly. The engine light went out in about 4 or 5 blocks and she drove home after the engine light went out at normal speeds. After 2 hours I started the Ryker and drove around our block which is exactly one mile. While doing so I varied my speed, stopped and went into reverse a couple of times and It ran and sounded fine. My question is has anyone else had this problem? Reasons why or what the dealer has done if you have had this problem. Thanks for your help!!

Spyder Garage

They sometimes do that--just to show you who is in charge. If the problem persists, I would have the dealer check it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Be sure to ask the dealer to hook up to BUDS on your next service, they can see what caused the Limp Mode.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Could that have happened if she was riding with the brake on slightly?

Spyder Garage

Default Momentary lapse of memory.....

If it all clears after a re-start and does not come back it means the computers have done a re-check of systems and all are a go. The sensors are sensative and sometimes the right sudden movement can set one off. Do have the dealer check for stored codes as you can not any longer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mine is in the shop now with a similar issue. They are ordering a part, they said speed control. I have over 7,000 miles problem free until now. Shutting it off and starting again clears it but only for a short time. I would take it to the dealer. The brake thing made no difference on mine.

Spyder Garage

Hi Guy's: I called the dealer earlier today. I told them of the problem I had with it. They have not heard of this problem before. Can't wait to get there hands on it. They are closed Monday and they will get it in when I get there any time Tuesday morning. Told the first thing they are going to do is check or codes. When I find out I will let you guy's know. Right now I have 660 miles on my Ryker at this time. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If it all clears after a re-start and does not come back it means the computers have done a re-check of systems and all are a go. The sensors are sensative and sometimes the right sudden movement can set one off. Do have the dealer check for stored codes as you can not any longer...
    I hope this is true but 3 out of 5 times it went into limp mode. Dangerous on highways.

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this is related or not but I have been having issues with my brand new 600 ryker where at around 60KMH limp mode flashes and the engine light comes on. The bike does not go into limp mode and can drive fine. The light comes and goes. The dealer checked it over said they were getting a rear cylinder misfire error code. They spoke with BRP who confirmed the error and advised that a "patch" is scheduled to come out today (July 8, 2019) and that the bike is safe to drive in the meantime

Spyder Garage

I have experienced this before as well. It is really frustrating. Restricts your speed to below 25 mph. My issue was personally that I hit a bump and it just knocked a fuse slightly lose. You could check that as well. Maybe locate your fuse box and just make sure they are all tight.

Spyder Garage

I was at the dealers today over my engine light and limp mode on the screen. Put it on BUD's and not really info from it. They were contacted by BRP about this problem. They mentioned they were to have a patch by July 8th. but they still don't have it. When they get it they will call me to bring in both 600's to fix the problem. Mike

Spyder Garage

If the Ryker is anything like my Spyder they do not like running near empty on fuel.

If the fuel tank is very low on fuel the fuel pump looses pressure from going over bumps
    or on a hill, that will cause an engine misfire and a error code is thrown and limp mode is turned on.

As soon as you turn off bike, fill the gas tank problem gone.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys: It is now the evening of July 19th. I haven't heard from the dealer about the patch if they have it yet or not. On Monday July 15th we left the house to go on an evening ride. About 100' from the driveway going about 25 mph my wife 600's engine light came on and limp mode showed up on the display. She shut her ryker down. She waited for a short period of time. Started it up and it was fine. I haven't had any other problems with mine. I guess I will call the dealer the first of the week and see if they have the patch yet. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by graysonsway View Post
    Hi Guys: It is now the evening of July 19th. I haven't heard from the dealer about the patch if they have it yet or not. On Monday July 15th we left the house to go on an evening ride. About 100' from the driveway going about 25 mph my wife 600's engine light came on and limp mode showed up on the display. She shut her ryker down. She waited for a short period of time. Started it up and it was fine. I haven't had any other problems with mine. I guess I will call the dealer the first of the week and see if they have the patch yet. Mike
    This patch is kind of suspicious to me. If there is indeed a patch there should be a recall so everybody can get it.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
    This patch is kind of suspicious to me. If there is indeed a patch there should be a recall so everybody can get it.
    That’s not how they roll at BRP. They issue Technical Service Bulletins which means you don’t find out unless you take your bike in. It has to be very serious and widespread for them to issue a recall.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622