Thread: DPS Error

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Error

I have a DPS ERROR. It faulted my 2011 Spyder RT LTD. It put it into limp mode. I took it to the shop, they told me I needed to replace the main wiring harness, which is not available for my bike. They think a wire is shorting out.... somewhere. They told me their recommendation was to trade it off.
    This is not an option. I love my Spyder.
    From what I'm reading I'm thinking I need the brake system flushed. I bought this used with 7500 miles on it 2 years ago. it now has 11100 miles on it. I don't know if it has ever had this done.
    Needless to say, I will not be taking it back to this shop.

Any opinions ??

Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would get another opinion …… The shop you took it may not even have BUDS ….. But before you do that, dis-connect the battery for about 10 minutes, then add some star washers to the terminals ( since it's already dis-connected ) … then re-connect and see if the DPS has cleared - if it does - then how could it be the wiring ???? ….. good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I suspect a dealer that will tell you to trade it off to solve the problem.

Get a second opinion if possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mike is right about the star washers. The DPS uses a lot of current and requires clean battery terminals. Unfortunately the true troubleshooting skills required for this machine are far beyond the average mechanic, so they use the shotgun method. Find a better mechanic.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

And Since there's a very experienced Spyder group down there in the Houma area, I bet you can get some better suggestions for service from the Spyders on the Bayou organizers, Cajun Country Spyder Ryders

Bayouboy here on SL and others might be of assistance
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You may in fact want to flush the brake system, but rest assured, that has nothing to do with your DPS error, if that's what you meant by that. All correct advice above. And if your machine still has it's original battery, it's time for a new one. Aging batteries, as well as loose / dirty connections are the primary reasons for DPS issues. Not to say that the DPS system never fails, just that battery / voltage issues are more common. Good luck with it.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks all.
    I was just trying to think what might be the problem. That's why I thought about the fluid flush.
    This shop actually supposedly changed out the battery a couple of months ago. I'm going to pick up the bike tomorrow.
    I will probably take it to Kenner, LA shop. Houma, LA is out of the way for me.
    Most people here are thinking it's a battery problem rather than a brake problem.
    Thanks for all your help

Spyder Garage

Default Thing is.....

DPS error can come from several places and even just a glitch so to a low voltage moment. If it goes away and does not come back on a computer re-set ( shut it off remove the key and let it set for an hour) it may have been a glitch. If it comes back then you need to go further and as Mike said do the whole wiring and battery conections. The other clue you are really having an issue is the handling, steering gets really heavy and harder to handle. If not the case again there is not a DPS problem. Agree with a second opion as the whole wiring change is a new one for me and they may not have one but they are available.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks All
    You have been a great help and have given me the info I needed.

Spyder Garage

The older 998's will throw that error with something as simple as a long sweeping curve as highway speeds. I can reliably replicate the error with mine on several roads out here. Just have to stop, shut it off for a minute or so and the code will clear (still be stored) and then we are.back off to the races. I have learned to vary my steering on those wide sweepers to avoid getting the code and resulting limp mode. If it doesn't clear when you turn it off for a few min, then you may have a variety of other possible issues as others have mentioned above.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Wow, impeccable timing, 2012 Spyder RTS SE5, just hit 3K miles... Bought used last month with 1600miles... Have receipt battery changed February this year. No idea type of battery or who installed...
    Issue: DPS error with engine warning light came on at start up... Did a 4hr tour with 3 stops the day before.
    Next morning warning came on... Drove to get fuel, came home.. Warning still showing. No issues while riding. I think the steering felt the same... Later in day, went to start bike. No faults. Did the press Mode/Set/Blinker no codes came up.
    Shut bike off... Did my homey due list.. Came back started bike. Same Engine warning and DPS warning...
    Tomorrow will check battery and add the star washers. pray it works..... The info above helps a,lot.. Thanks to all of You..
    2012 RTS SE5 , Spider Web Brake pedal Orbital blue

Spyder Garage

CADRE - I finally figured out I was riding my brake during a trip around the neighborhood. That's the reason the fault showed up. Haven't had it since. Kept m,y\\y foot off the brake pedal.

Spyder Garage

BTRPIPER, Appreciate the response..
    I could be doing the ride brake trick.. Will check that first.. Will probably do the star washer too as a prevention....

Will post the results later tomorrow... Hawaii is 6 hours behind EST....

Spyder Garage

Not the break, however, the battery is not a Yuasa.... My K-mart special multi meter shows (with ground disconnected) just under 12.6vdc... More like 12.3vdc.... I will replace the battery... Fuses looked good, connectors seem to be good...
    Left bike sitting with battery disconnected for 3hrs... Connected battery, turn key (but not starting engine) still reading 0551 0552 codes... Still showing engine light and steering bars...Basically nothing changed....
    Start with battery change then go for a wheel alignment... At same time request a reading from B.U.D.S..... Hope it’s not the DPS... With those two codes there is a good chance....

Spyder Garage

Well folks, as mentioned previous owner purchased a battery 4/2019. (Has a blazing 90 day warranty) after further research, the battery presently installed shows max 300CCA....
    thanks to this site I was able to track down a Yausa Battery here in Hawaii... Pick up tomorrow... Hoping this will clear the codes.... Ride Safe and God Bless..

Spyder Garage

Batt installed, grounds checked, still have DPS warning... for tomorrow I will check electrical connection,
    Not looking good for me... On a good note, Still rides as if no problem.... Hoping for the best..