Spyder Garage

Default What is the outer width of a 2014 GT limited spyder? To fit in enclosed trailer

What is the outer width of a 2014 GT limited spyder? To fit in enclosed trailer. I'm picking up my "new-to-me" 14 Spyder next week, & want to rent an enclosed trailer to get it. (250 miles 1-way) I'm also considering buying a trailer. so what is the outer side to side max width on these spyders? Thanks in advance...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Praireroads View Post
    What is the outer width of a 2014 GT limited spyder? To fit in enclosed trailer. I'm picking up my "new-to-me" 14 Spyder next week, & want to rent an enclosed trailer to get it. (250 miles 1-way) I'm also considering buying a trailer. so what is the outer side to side max width on these spyders? Thanks in advance...
    Howdy;

What's a 'GT'?

Don't see it here: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/owner...del-years.html

(select Model year, then click on the specific model fer all specs, including dimensions).

Widest models appear to be the RT's.

Lastly - you WILL need a 7-foot wide trailer, preferably a 12-footer in length. With a nice, 3-hinge sturdy ramp. Ask me how I know, lol. Also - be mindful of trailer payload, if you are planning to carry anything else within of any mass - Spyders will eat up ~900lbs + all on their own.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Our 2014 RT Limited is ~59.5" wide and 96" long where the front "bumper/grill/nose?" and rear tire contact the insides of an 8' trailer. Lucky find for me was an 8' trailer custom made for two bikes that has an inside measurement of 6'10". Weight listed in the manual is 1046lbs and my trailer weighs ~750lbs. That said, be mindful of the point Entropy made in regards to your towing capacity. Most medium to smaller cars these days have very poor tow ratings. You don't want to fry your transmission getting your Spyder home. If it were me, I'd try to get someone to take me to the Spyder and then just ride it home. That's what we did when picking up our RT in Nov 2017; made for a very fun 430 mile ride home for me while my wife followed in the car.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Howdy;

To clarify - there are TWO payload ratings one needs to be mindful of:

1. The Payload rating fer the Trailer - usually found in the specs for same. Some single-axle steel 'econo' cargo trailers are somewhat limited - able to carry only 1100-1500 lbs of 'cargo' total and be within their ratings (GVWR, axle, tires, etc). Hence - a ~1,000lb Spyder will use up most/all of yer allowable payload. So - no pellet smoker and 10 bags of pellets, full jerry cans, extra tahrs, cases o' suds, etc, lol. My advice - size the trailer to 'future-proof' it now.

2. The Tow Vehicle Payload rating - usually found on a yellow sticker on the driver's side doorjamb. Onboard cargo/stuff, number of passengers, ye chillun, ye dawg, and the trailer's loaded tongue weight all factor into this. Should be a Towing section in yer vehicle's Owner's Guide you can refer to fer how to calculate yer numbers. Abide by them.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

And when trailering a spyder on a trailer not originally intended for a Spyder, let's not forget the trailer and tow vehicles Tongue weight limits. A small enough trailer that a Spyder can fit on, with a rearward axle can cause excessive tongue weight with the spyder all the way forward on the trailer.
    Weight AND Balance are both important, as Entropy pointed out in #2

For the OP, I've tried loading my Spyder on a 62" wide opening trailer and chickened out, a 6' trailer opening and it was a VERY slow careful really get it lined up straight before climbing the ramp and it fit. As said above a 7' opening and you can drive it on comfortably.

Important to check both RAMP width and opening width on rental trailers. A 6'x12' Uhaul utility trailer only has a 4' 9" Ramp.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the tips & response! Yes, its a RT & not a GT...My error. I have an enclosed 58 " that now appears to narrow. I listed my trailer for sale today, in local craigslist & within 15 min have a buyer coming to look at it. So Monday or so, I will go & now get( because of the above response) a 7 ft wide 14 ft long new enclosed trailer..Best place ever to buy trailers, that I have ever found; https://www.autotoytrader.com/all-in...railers?page=2

I would love to drive it back, even thought of taking a bus down there, but its a 700 mile round trip & most my friends are still working( I'm retired, but self-employed part time) Good response on the vehicles transmission. These small cars now days would not do well pulling any enclosed trailer that distance. I have a rust free 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel engine truck, I bought a year ago from Nevada. This will be bike purchase # 25 in my lifetime, are looking forward for this machine! Also, feel free to suggest any info I should read to catch up on this bike... what . are your thoughts about the price I paid? 2014 RT Limited, 5,000 miles, new rear tire, & dealer serviced for $16,000,00.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Praireroads View Post
    Thanks for all the tips & response! Yes, its a RT & not a GT...My error. I have an enclosed 58 " that now appears to narrow. I listed my trailer for sale today, in local craigslist & within 15 min have a buyer coming to look at it. So Monday or so, I will go & now get( because of the above response) a 7 ft wide 14 ft long new enclosed trailer..Best place ever to buy trailers, that I have ever found; https://www.autotoytrader.com/all-in...railers?page=2

I would love to drive it back, even thought of taking a bus down there, but its a 700 mile round trip & most my friends are still working( I'm retired, but self-employed part time) Good response on the vehicles transmission. These small cars now days would not do well pulling any enclosed trailer that distance. I have a rust free 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel engine truck, I bought a year ago from Nevada. This will be bike purchase # 25 in my lifetime, are looking forward for this machine! Also, feel free to suggest any info I should read to catch up on this bike... what . are your thoughts about the price I paid? 2014 RT Limited, 5,000 miles, new rear tire, & dealer serviced for $16,000,00.
    Why a 14 ???? a 10 ft. " V " Nose will be plenty …..with less weight and cheaper ….. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I would also suggest checking prices from I-39 Supply in Wisconsin
    They don't show it today, but used to have a 7'x10 V-Nose trailer.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Why a 14 ???? a 10 ft. " V " Nose will be plenty …..with less weight and cheaper ….. jmho …. Mike
    Because we plan on "wintering" down in the southern states over winter, & want to take the spyder with us. We would use the extra room to haul our extra living items for the winter. Yes, it would be cheaper to buy the shorter one. I have a 6x12 now that we use for my road-king, & sure could have used the extra room a 7x14 would provide. On a future note, I will start a new thread on "where-to-go-to-winter" . will be a snowbird like most people down there. TY for the response-

Spyder Garage

I'm with BLUEKNIGHT911 on this one, especially his original comment - "why not a 10' V-nose?" Given that you intend to pull your trailer (of whatever size/shape) with a RAM pick-up, I'd first of all be putting any extra desired cargo/necessities in the bed of the pick-up, not in the trailer along with your Spyder. Let the truck do some of the carrying for which it was designed; get a lot of the weight being carried onto its frame. You'll have a better load distribution. If you have extra junk in the trailer, you need to lash it down (or tie to walls) so that it doesn't fall over onto the Spyder, or rub up against it, while traveling. Cargo has a tendency to 'creep' owing to road vibration. You don't want all your cargo in the trailer anyway, because you don't want to find you have "the tail wagging the dog" if you get into any quick or defensive lane changes at highway speeds. Also, many trailer walls are thin and weak, not really designed for cargo being tied to them; they can bow or buckle under added stress. So, use the truck bed for any additional stuff as much as you can - don't go light truck/heavy trailer when you pack your load.

Me: I do haul my Spyder to FL and back (ON). Used to do it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee; now do it with a RAM 1500. I have an open aluminum trailer, weighs 350#, is 66" between wheel wells and just a 10' long bed. Plenty big enough. Was designed to haul an RTL; my slightly smaller F3L loads even easier. An enclosed trailer would be nice, but I don't need it to store in, so the open trailer is fine. I have owned and hauled enclosed trailers in past, so do know what they are and can do. Just my $.02
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

image000000_05.jpg

2015 Forest river 19RR
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue