Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Slight wooble in air!!!

https://youtu.be/aP9JX20dog8

Checked my F3 belt tracking today because it was settling more toward the middle of the rear sprocket instead of close to the sprocket like before.
    ANYWAY at idle jacked up it tracks great and I only have 16,500 miles - My belt tension is 140 jacked up which is fine for me BUT the front sprocket wobbles slightly like the video above and The red dust has been very little since I retorqued the New bolt a year ago. Is the slight wobble normal because its in the air with no load on it or is the Sprocket getting ready to go. Anyone have experience with the slight wobble?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I don't know of any case where wobble on a gear or sprocket is normal.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I don't know of any case where wobble on a gear or sprocket is normal.
    ……….. I think the clearance between the sprocket and the shaft should be very, very close to zero …. and from what I've read about the RED DUST thing …. the only amount should NONE …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Is there really any wobble in the sprocket, or is it just slight manufacturing deformities making you think it's wobbling? I'd be checking the sprocket pretty carefully before doing anything else, but like others have said, there shouldn't be ANY wobble in the sprocket, and the only acceptable amount of 'red dust is NONE!!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    The red dust has been very little since I retorqued the New bolt a year ago.
    Pardon my ignorance -- I'm new to the Can-Am world. I'm looking at a 2015 F3-S SE6 soon. What is this "red dust" that I've seen mentioned several times now?
    Current Motorcycles: 6 BMWs, 1 Kaw, 1 Suzuki

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHolly View Post
    Pardon my ignorance -- I'm new to the Can-Am world. I'm looking at a 2015 F3-S SE6 soon. What is this "red dust" that I've seen mentioned several times now?
    The front sprocket has been known to get loose causing the splines to wear. In turn the steel that wears off turns into a red rusty dust. You need to check under the front inspection cover regularly and if you see red dust, it is a sign that you need to replace the front sprocket and bolt. If your Spyder is under warranty, it will not cost you anything but if you let it go too long it can also ruin the shaft and leave you stranded.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry Sarge. Not really seeing any sprocket wobble at all. Now, that little out of round look of the bolt flange? Yeah. I would expect that. Just the way the bolt is made, I believe, not being a perfectly machined part.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

If you do see red dust, I would recommend retorquing the bolt just to buy you some time to get it in the shop before it gets completely stripped out and spins freely.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    The front sprocket has been known to get loose causing the splines to wear. In turn the steel that wears off turns into a red rusty dust. You need to check under the front inspection cover regularly and if you see red dust, it is a sign that you need to replace the front sprocket and bolt. If your Spyder is under warranty, it will not cost you anything but if you let it go too long it can also ruin the shaft and leave you stranded.
    Thank you.
    Current Motorcycles: 6 BMWs, 1 Kaw, 1 Suzuki

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Sorry Sarge. Not really seeing any sprocket wobble at all. Now, that little out of round look of the bolt flange? Yeah. I would expect that. Just the way the bolt is made, I believe, not being a perfectly machined part.
    Thanks- Just what I wanted to hear. The YouTube Person responded that the little bolt wobble causes NO problems and The Red Dust has been very little since I retorqued a New Bolt several thousand miles ago. When mine goes I got a New Sprocket and Bolt ready and towing home is covered because I drive local backroads.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Not seeing a problem

Have found shadows, dust and grime tend to mislead as well as the washer on center bolt is never centered. If you have no vibrations your good...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My opinion, remove the pulley and inspect before failure. Not that you are concerned about getting home and such, better safe than sorry regarding the gearbox output shaft.

As mentioned, the fit is slip fit but with basically no looseness or freeplay before installing the bolt.

Worse case, you got piece of mind, AND you can clean the splines, then assemble the pulley onto the shaft with lubricant.

Spyder Garage
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.