Spyder Garage

Default Couple basic riding questions

Well, now that I have had a few hours in a group class, a couple questions.

In the interests of time, since we were sharing the Rykers, we did not do any ergonomic adjustments of the pegs or the brake pedal.

For those with experience, is there a preferred relationship between your foot position on the pegs and the brake pedal? Do you rest your foot on the brake pedal or is it so sensitive you end up riding the brake or do you have it set so you have to move your foot to the brake? I know this would be individual preference, just looking for some starting points.

The second question is about throttle in turns. I know it will all come together with practice, but I was not very smooth in the turns. Another individual on the forum did say that it requires some practice since you are using the throttle as you are moving the handlebar. Any special techniques or just practice?

Notice I said practice a lot, and when I do get one, there will be a lot of it in a relatively safe area. I do live in a rural area.

Spyder Garage

You set the bars and pegs to whatever is comfortabe to you and your riding style.
    I prefer a cruiser riding style so I have me pegs on the 2nd setting from the front and my bars pulled all the way to the back of the mounting slide.
    DO NOT RIDE the brake peddle it will place the bike into LIMP mode. Again this is to your comfort level. My brake peddle is set a little on the lower side. I still need to lift my foot to step on the brake peddle.
    As you practice you will identify what works best for you on your bike.
    It does take practice to master the throttle both from a stop and when turning, especially on left turns. Remember this is a cvt so there is no clutch to feather, it really is twist and go- twist slowly in the beginning while you are learning to keep control of the bike.
    Enjoy your ride when you get one.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

I have my brake pedal slightly higher than the foot peg and I think that just comes from me still getting used to riding the Ryker. For awhile I was bending my ankle at around 90 degrees to keep my foot above the brake pedal while still resting on the foot peg. I have since relaxed more while riding and now rest my foot in a position outside of the brake lever.
    I think this is all a natural progression as I get more riding time and more comfortable. I am thinking about raising the brake lever slightly though.

As for steering. I find that when making left hand turns I am not squeezing the throttle and instead pushing on the bar with the palm of my hand while turning. This keeps the throttle at the same speed while my left hand has a full grip on the left side and is pulling.

Spyder Garage

I have the pegs all the way forward and my foot actually touches the brake pedal BUT it doesn't turn the light on till I push about 1/2 inch. If your new do your cornering in Eco OFF mode- Sport mode in corners for a New Rider might get you MORE responce than you want.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, great info!

Spyder Garage

I use my left hand for 80 - 85% of the steering effort. That leaves my right hand pretty free to actually control the throttle.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Freezefm, thanks, I was pretty much equal with both hands.

Spyder Garage

I feel like I am cornering with my feet - of course I am steering with my arms - if I go into a left hand bend the pressure is on my right foot (the tighter the bend the more pressure) my ass feels like it is slightly off the seat and my weight is on my left side and I accelerate through the bend. The trike holds the road like a limpet and I am not even conscious of what the hands do - it just feels natural.

Hope this helps.