Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Cat delete - my thoughts

I just installed a cat delete pipe from Baldwin Iron Works on my F3-S - it came with a spring removal/installation tool and a baffle. I was reluctant to get this seemingly useless farkle, I've read all the research I could get my hands on about the exhaust back pressure, and everything that goes into designing the exhaust system, the importance of the catalytic-converters, and how countless engineers spent millions of dollars and spilled gallons of their brain matter over the design to make it perfect, and how nothing you can do will improve anything, because they are PhDs and you're nobody.

What a bunch of B.S. !!!

...oh man, the sound! What a sound! I had a grin on my face the entire ride to work and back. I giggled like a little girl accelerating through the underpasses with a roaring exhaust reverberating under the bridges.
    The spyder now performs the same way in the "eco" mode as it did in normal mode. I'm actually scared to turn it off. There's a seriously noticeable performance boost. I can't wait to take it out for a ryde again.

I left the stock muffler on, so the sound is not obnoxious, it's just enough louder and a lot deeper. The engine braking produces this deep gurgling sound that sends shivers down your spine and makes you want to engine brake again

I swear that vibrations are almost completely gone, the machine now runs smooth like a butter.

The only downside - the exhaust now stinks... but who cares, it's behind me!

Spyder Garage

It will burn out

Spyder Garage

a few good long rydes and those smells will be gone. It does give you a little boost in sound and performance...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Does the pipe from Lamonster garage do the same things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Does the pipe from Lamonster garage do the same things.
    Some say no, I say yes. If you are a short shift type rider, skip the bypass pipe. I found ours truly helped the mid range a lot.

Also, ours is a straight thru bypass pipe, no added baffle and runs the stock RT muffler.

Spyder Garage

so your pipe came with a baffle to keep some back pressure. Some don't . I wonder which is better? i already have a Akropovic muffler on my F3-S.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Some say no, I say yes. If you are a short shift type rider, skip the bypass pipe. I found ours truly helped the mid range a lot.

Also, ours is a straight thru bypass pipe, no added baffle and runs the stock RT muffler.
    How would yours work with an Akrapovic muffler, which my F3-S has? I'm thinking of getting a cat delete with or without baffle and an ECM flash.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

if the fuel smell gets to you consider an RLS Exhaust Cat delete you will not have that issue ,More power and less un burned fuel going out the exhaust pipe also a little deeper lower tone.

Spyder Garage

Quick question...don't panic...did you remapp your ECU?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    How would yours work with an Akrapovic muffler, which my F3-S has? I'm thinking of getting a cat delete with or without baffle and an ECM flash.
    If you decide to do An ECU flash...don't add a baffle in your cat delete...the tune needs to breathe...believe it...monster fuel told me this and they are right..I run no baffles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did Jason tell you that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Did Jason tell you that?
    Same question I was considering, the last I heard he considered it "mouse power"
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    I just installed a cat delete pipe from Baldwin Iron Works on my F3-S - it came with a spring removal/installation tool and a baffle. I was reluctant to get this seemingly useless farkle, I've read all the research I could get my hands on about the exhaust back pressure, and everything that goes into designing the exhaust system, the importance of the catalytic-converters, and how countless engineers spent millions of dollars and spilled gallons of their brain matter over the design to make it perfect, and how nothing you can do will improve anything, because they are PhDs and you're nobody.

What a bunch of B.S. !!!

...oh man, the sound! What a sound! I had a grin on my face the entire ride to work and back. I giggled like a little girl accelerating through the underpasses with a roaring exhaust reverberating under the bridges.
    The spyder now performs the same way in the "eco" mode as it did in normal mode. I'm actually scared to turn it off. There's a seriously noticeable performance boost. I can't wait to take it out for a ryde again.

I left the stock muffler on, so the sound is not obnoxious, it's just enough louder and a lot deeper. The engine braking produces this deep gurgling sound that sends shivers down your spine and makes you want to engine brake again

I swear that vibrations are almost completely gone, the machine now runs smooth like a butter.

Are you running the cat delete pipe with the supplied baffle in or out?
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Ebay is currently running a 20% ebucks credit thru tomorrow night. At $200, the Baldwin iron works will get you $20 in ebay credit. Just might do it. I like how some makers state "no warranty issue". You're removing a federally mandated piece of emissions equipment that the machine was programmed to run with. If you were to have a engine operating issue, I think Can-Am would sure bulk. Easy enough to swap out tho. And, yes, I am fully aware of the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act. Hmmmm ........

Spyder Garage

I've read several members complain about the odor.. I had no such problem--with 2 different manufacturer "Cat Delete pipe
    Interesting that the same vehicle engine produces different results.???? Not Based on other exhaust components or similar.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Heading down to the Ozarks this afternoon. I plan on passing thru Sparta, MO tomorrow to maybe take a peek at the cat delete pipe at Baldwin. Who knows, maybe I'll ride home with one installed...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Are you running the cat delete pipe with the supplied baffle in or out?
    Yes, with the baffle in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    Quick question...don't panic...did you remapp your ECU?
    No, I didn't re-map the ECU - that is something I don't want to mess with. I like Nanny. It keeps me safe. Keeps my kids fed and my wife happy. Developing software for a living I don't recommend anyone messing with an OEM firmware but then again, it's just me.

I did, however, replace a stock air filter with a K&N. You know, larger volume (or air speed) of exhaust needs a larger volume of intake, or something like that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post

I've read several members complain about the odor.. I had no such problem--with 2 different manufacturer "Cat Delete pipe
    Interesting that the same vehicle engine produces different results.???? Not Based on other exhaust components or similar.
    Darrell
    I expected the smell - you remove catalytic-converter, you will get the smell. There are no visible fumes though!

Spyder Garage

Motorcycles in my state don't need emission inspection, plus I only installed the pipe after the warranty expired, since I had the same concerns, but a lot of members here had no issues with warranty even with removed catalytic-converter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    so your pipe came with a baffle to keep some back pressure. Some don't . I wonder which is better? i already have a Akropovic muffler on my F3-S.
    If you take a look at Martin's videos - he compares different set-ups, like cat-delete pipe with Akropovic and stock muffler. Stock muffler sounds much better with the cat-delete pipe. The combination of Akropovic and cat-delete is way too loud, to the point of hurting your ears. You might want to invest in ear plugs if you decide to go that route

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    If you decide to do An ECU flash...don't add a baffle in your cat delete...the tune needs to breathe...believe it...monster fuel told me this and they are right..I run no baffles.
    I agree with not running a baffle with the Stage 2 tune. The baffle makes it much quieter, but also reduces performance. I’ve run it both ways and took the baffle out.

Spyder Garage

Dont Panic..theres a way to fix the loud problem...install an RLS cat delete....WHY?...because an RLS cat delete has a resonator built in it like in a car/truck. lamonster/ironworks etc. does not have that...it cut out the loud drone noise...that resonator is very important...you install an RLS with no baffles combined with an akra sinister pipe. That bike will run...and sound very good....but it will be much better with an ecu update..more fuel..youre no longer running lean...your air/fuel ratio will match..just something to ponder...I recommend DYNOJET for several reasons.

Spyder Garage

Paul Baldwin installed my cat delete pipe at his shop on my way down to the Ozarks. He recommended baffle in/baffle plug out. I opted for baffle/plug both in. Volume was just a touch louder than the stock cat/muffler, with no real difference in feel of performance. That was 2 weeks/1500 miles ago. This past week, I installed a K&N air filter and pulled the baffle plug. In addition to nice exhaust tone, I certainly can feel some improved feel in throttle response. It is a nice improvement. Looking forward to the addition of the PV3 with this combo..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------

Spyder Garage

I disagree. I have a 2023 RT S2S with an Akrapovic and an RLS cat delete w SS baffle. The exhaust fume smell is persistent and sometimes overwhelming around town. Highway speeds its is ok. I have over 7,000 miles since the install, and fumes persist. Any solutions other than eliminating either part, is appreciated. I also have an F4 windscreen which is 1" taller and 5" wider, thought that might be causing the problem. I intend to replace the front donut gasket to see if that helps. Otherwise, I will have to find a way to move the muffler further back, e.g. extend the lead in pipe.