Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default People asking questions about the Spyder

Is it possible to be out and about and not have people randomly stop and ask questions about the bikes? I was at the VA today, at a red light, in first gear and waiting to take off and a guy walked up to me...at the red light... and started asking questions. We covered everything we could in the time before the light turned green but that wasn't the only time. I was at Costco putting groceries in the trunk when a lady next to me walked up and just randomly started in on how stable it looked.

Yesterday it was an elderly couple at the gym who were oogling it and asking questions about MPG and braking. Does Can Am have people follow us around to ask questions to film for commercials? I've ridden for about 20 years and have never gotten the attention on a bike this one gets.
    2011 RT , Silver

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome home. Yes, its nice to just talk about our passion and people want to listen.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

That's great! That was actually one of my attractions to the Spyder. I always like something a little different that not many people have.
    Haven't had a lot of questions yet, but I moved to a small town and we only have one stoplight

Spyder Garage

This happens with the Spyder a LOT! When I first did my demo ride before buying the bike I asked the factory rep from BRP how long it took to fuel up the rig. He replied usually about twenty minutes! I replied 20 MINUTES, how much fuel does this thing hold? He said, Oh, that's not why it takes that long...it's because you'll spend most of that time answering questions about the Spyder from curious strangers. And he wasn't kidding!

Spyder Garage

They call it the rock star factor.

We started out with Spyder the first year (08). Bought the spouse a new (09). We got stopped every where we went in Alaska. They were very rare then...especially in AK.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In the area I live in. The novelty has worn off and I do not get near as many questions anymore. But still get a few. Most folks are nice and are just curious. But their opening question can be awkward sometimes. Occasionally you will run into someone that is looking for a reason to not like your Spyder. The ones that really get under my skin are the know it alls that know absolutely nothing. Couple weeks ago someone walked up and started a conversation. He said to me that he was seeing a lot more of these things around. That means that snowmobiles are not selling very well. I was dumb enough to ask why is that. His reply was that they make these things out of leftover snowmobile parts.

https://youtu.be/_9qDkwbFHv8

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you want more attention strap a wheelchair on the back LOL Im finding this out in just a few rides

Spyder Garage

I was putting some groceries in the rear bag and somebody that knew who I was walked up and asked me if it was a 250 and why did I buy it when I had a Harley.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    In the area I live in. The novelty has worn off and I do not get near as many questions anymore. But still get a few. Most folks are nice and are just curious. But their opening question can be awkward sometimes. Occasionally you will run into someone that is looking for a reason to not like your Spyder. The ones that really get under my skin are the know it alls that know absolutely nothing. Couple weeks ago someone walked up and started a conversation. He said to me that he was seeing a lot more of these things around. That means that snowmobiles are not selling very well. I was dumb enough to ask why is that. His reply was that they make these things out of leftover snowmobile parts.

https://youtu.be/_9qDkwbFHv8
    I would nod and wink and say "I know. You should see where they put the afterburner from the leftover jet parts from the old airplanes that are junked every year" and just tap the trunk....

Wow. I mean...I did comment to my C.O. that his looked like a snowmobile on wheels ... then I bought one and have been eating that ever since.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

People do ask a lot of questions. And I get a lot of nods and waves.

Except from the Harley riders. I think they're too busy holding on from all the vibrations to be able to wave.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

When they ask how fast it will go, I tell them the analog speedometer goes up to 200. I don't tell them it is KPH.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan View Post
    People do ask a lot of questions. And I get a lot of nods and waves.

Except from the Harley riders. I think they're too busy holding on from all the vibrations to be able to wave.
    I've noticed the Harley guys tend to have their head down and both hands on the bars. I thought it was fear of their parts falling off the bike because they're so expensive to repair.
    2011 RT , Silver

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    When they ask how fast it will go, I tell them the analog speedometer goes up to 200. I don't tell them it is KPH.

I’ve done that several times!😄 The look on their faces is usually priceless!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

The small price we pay for being unique.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

that almost never happens to me. I don't know if its me or just a general lack of curiosity here in Utah.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah !!!

There are two things you see a lot mentioned here....
    1. Miles of smiles.....
    2. Your a rock star.....
    What your experiencing falls in the Rock Star catagory...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

you really ARE new to this game aren't you ?
    My favorite is the young kid, maybe twenty something coming out of dollar general as I was
    strapping on my helmet. He said "Hey mister, is that thing fun?"
    I smiled big and shook my head, and said "Uh uh"
    Then we both had a good laugh.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no issue with answering questions, its when I come out and some idiot is sitting on the thing.

Have had this twice, I politely asked the gentleman to "hop off". His mate decided to jump on and with it my diplomacy store was empty. It seems one nationality in particular seems to be unable to resist.

Mind you have had some ladies well out of my league ask questions - happy to oblige there of course
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

My best experience was a three-year-old boy. His mother told me that every time he heard my Spyder he would go to the window and shouted "bike, bike". I put him on my Spyder and his mother took a picture for the grandparents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I have no issue with answering questions, its when I come out and some idiot is sitting on the thing.

Have had this twice, I politely asked the gentleman to "hop off". His mate decided to jump on and with it my diplomacy store was empty. It seems one nationality in particular seems to be unable to resist.

Mind you have had some ladies well out of my league ask questions - happy to oblige there of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ux_DTeuR_o

My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always liked this reaction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_Gd623HJo
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post

I'm pretty sure I'd have a short circuit if I came out and some rando was on my bike. Maybe the military stickers keep them away, maybe people have better sense here in Texas but....

No. Just no.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

The answer to your question, "Is it possible to be out and about and not have people randomly stop and ask questions about the bikes?", is YES, if you don't stop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'd have a short circuit if I came out and some rando was on my bike. Maybe the military stickers keep them away, maybe people have better sense here in Texas but....
    No. Just no.
    That give me an idea: Put an NRA sticker in a prominent location where all can see it and maybe one of those thin blue line American flags. The lefties here will either avoid it........or set it on fire. Come to think of it, that's not so good an idea.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Got this from Bob:

On the PULL out tab in the dash ( which I leave out and in plane view---------

" Is there life after death??? Touch this Spyder and find out!!! Done in red on a yellow background.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 07-03-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow