Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Totally agree with everything you said especially the OEM parts. Oil changes too expenses as well as 12000 miles service on bike if you did not purchase the maintenance plan.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, there is room for improvement on the Ryker, but a number of disparaging remarks within this thread are unwarranted.

I have cruised at steady speeds of 80 mph, comfortably.

Traveled over 1100 miles in less than a week.

Exceeded 100 mph several times.

After replacing the stock shocks with 400 mm full length spring shocks, it does quite well doing three-wheel drifts around traffic circles without the rear end fish-tailing and handled very rough roads quite well.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...00-mile-review

Suggesting that a Ryker rider might want to "upgrade", is like asking a Sportster rider if he wants to "upgrade" to a Road King (I have ridden my son-in-laws).

Or if a Miata driver wants to upgrade to a Buick (no offense to anyone with a Buick, as I have previously owned one...and it served well for a bi-weekly 600-mile commute).

I have no criticism of Honda Gold Wings, but my preference was my 2014 (out of the crate in 2017) Honda CB 1100...which I would not have sold after 12,000 miles in 10 months had an eye issue not developed...which thankfully self-corrected.

After being on a motorcycle since 1963, yes, I found it took some getting used to... about 300 miles in one week doubled my comfort level. After 1,000 miles in the first month, I learned that leaning to the inside of the turn was not necessary... just press my knee into the tank area on the inside of the turn for 45 mph turns at 60 mph.

This was my third purchase from a Can-Am / Yamaha dealership. The deal was done over the phone with the owner and I took a 10 mile test ride before purchasing. I was aware of the RPMs and noise level before the purchase. I was also aware of the 12,000 mile CVT belt change interval.

The concerns and negatives in my 6,000 mi review absolutely do not lessen the fun factor of the Ryker...especially on mountain roads!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I can second what SportsterDoc says.
    I've made quite a few trips cruising at 80-90 MPH most of the time for up to 3 hours. Very comfy and stable. Please note that I run stock Rally suspension, Stock sway bar, and stock Kenda tires. With some upgrades Im sure it can get even more planted, but I really have no complaints on the handling at high speeds or twisty roads.
    The only time the bike wanders a bit is when the road is bad and have deep detents/tracks. Over time I've gotten used to it, and simply position the rear tire in the deep track, and it isnt a problem

I have never quite understood the complaints about noise, at lower speeds the Rotax 900 does have a nice engine sound, and at high speeds the wind noise is 99% of what you hear anyways. But sure, expectations can differ, My only experience is a Yamaha XT600 with a slipon system, and that was LOUD! So from my perspective the Ryker is allmost too quiet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    The concerns and negatives in my 6,000 mi review absolutely do not lessen the fun factor of the Ryker...especially on mountain roads!
    Very much agreed. My wife’s 900 has GREATLY improved her enjoyment of riding. Her previous machine, VStar 650, caused her some anxiety in slow speed manoeuvre, starting and stopping. After her 650 took a few unintentional naps she almost stopped riding at all. I bought a 20 RTL bc my knees didn’t like holding up my 850lb Venture. After she drove the RTL she said “I want the smaller one”, so we bought her the Ryker.

She’s gone from max 20x30 km rides on the 650 to our first 1200km weekend tour on the Ryker, with discussion of a future 9000km cross-Canada and return trip.

Her only negatives about the Ryker were the lack of parking brake lock (should in my opinion) be a standard feature, which I’m having added in the spring when I get it serviced, and she missed the floorboards her 650 had. (purchase from lamonster fixed that lack) She loves the “twist and go” CVT.

To each their own. When we go touring my RTL can carry all the junk she wants to bring, with a little room left for my stuff. The combo suits us well.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

maybe just a misunderstanding if a Spyder-Ryder asks - "whats wrong with a Ryker" ..

we used since 2008 a GS & an RT for more than 40.000 miles - now we have more time (retired) and plan longer tours & wanted something faster/better handling/durable/easier to repair ..

16.000 miles now - most 2up - not one real problem ! best three-wheeler they ever built ..would not change back ..

P.S.
    would someone take a Spyder for roads like these ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZFTlNZPk4&t=13s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    ...easier to repair...
    Spark plug change was NOT difficult

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ng-spark-plugs

Components/sensors mostly straightforward

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...r-amp-location

Servicing NOT complicated

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tenance-photos
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Really enjoying my 2020 rally. I think BRP should have installed the key lock.
    My rally also seems to have a rare case of really stubborn water spots on the ruby black panels. Don’t think it’s any kind of defect or something BRP missed but it’s there none the less. I’ll be calling the dealer and asking for a replacement this week.
    I understand most everything else.
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    maybe just a misunderstanding if a Spyder-Ryder asks - "whats wrong with a Ryker" ..

we used since 2008 a GS & an RT for more than 40.000 miles - now we have more time (retired) and plan longer tours & wanted something faster/better handling/durable/easier to repair ..

16.000 miles now - most 2up - not one real problem ! best three-wheeler they ever built ..would not change back ..

P.S.
    would someone take a Spyder for roads like these ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZFTlNZPk4&t=13s
    went from a 2016 F3-T to a 2019 Ryker 900 ace would not go back.

Spyder Garage

My Ryker 900 ACE was the first three wheeled vehicle I ever rode. Never rode 2 wheeled vehicles. Took it for a little 30 minute test ride around the dealership neighborhood. Went back the next day and brought it. Rode it 60 miles home on the internet at 70+ mph, no worries. I've ridden it all over eastern Washington, northern Idaho and western Montana. Been loving it ever since.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I guess you rode the virtual Ryker on the internet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jvclarke View Post
    I guess you rode the virtual Ryker on the internet.
    I've ridden the Internet a bit too much in my life. I think I need to take a break

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with my Ryker.

I knew what it was before I bought it.

Bottom Line: I like riding it. Everytime.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ixxion View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my Ryker.

I knew what it was before I bought it.

Bottom Line: I like riding it. Everytime.
    Same here. I knew exactly what I was getting before I purchased it, no surprises when riding it home from the dealership, just all smiles and a fun ride home. I did add some upgrades for performance & comfort, and some accessories for convenience. But I've always done that with just about every bike that I've ever owned. The only issue that I've had with it is the very inaccurate fuel gauge, that still pisses me off. Apparently everyone has that issue with this machine.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition