Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's Wrong with the Ryker?

Hello guys - been riding Spyders since 2008 - just got back in bikes, still have my F3 but looking at the Ryker as a second machine.

So my questions is there anything broke or in need of fixing or did Can Am get it right out of the box?

Thanks In advance

Mike
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Overall, I greatly enjoy my Ryker RALLY.
    Things that might be concerning or nitpicking:
    Really needs more storage. While not meant to be a touring bike, being able to carry more than one bag of groceries would be nice.
    Not coming standard with expected safety/security devices, parking brake lock, fuel filler security, improved rear lighting (larger) lights for safety, a horn that is loud enough to be heard by the person pulling out in front of you.
    A lower revving engine at highway speeds to improve fuel economy.
    Lower (more reasonable) costs for OEM accessories
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, this is a matter of opinion of course. There are things I would change for sure but overall the Ryker is pretty damn good.

Only real issue(s) I've run into.........the black plastic does not like fuel. If you spill fuel on it it will discolor and etch the plastic.

The fuel pump has an issue being noisy, like humming loud noisy while riding and idling the bike. Its annoying for sure but not sure the pump will fail? Lots of people have posted about this issue and BRP is replacing pumps for those that complain. Rumor is pumps are on back order until December. The issue seems to happen most often when the fuel gauge reads half or below or/and when the outside temp is hot (around 90 or above).

There were some issues with gearboxes with no oil and brake reservoirs with a bad cap (or rubber diaphragm) but those haven't been issues I've seen personally in my 1300 miles.
    Some people also have coolant leaks from cracked reservoir bottles but again I have not had this happen.

That's all I've had happen or have heard about.

Spyder Garage

Very happy with my 900 Rally. It's a blast to ride, easy to get used to. And looks awesome!

Are there things I want to change? Of course! I have already made some changes. But it's a pretty tight package right out of the crate.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

A Lot noisier than my F3 and even the comfort seat is No Where near as comfortable as my Stock F3. I won't sell either one!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I've only ridden my wife's 900 a little bit, but her personal "wants" would be more adjustment to get the bars closer to her, a better fuel filler so it doesn't splash back or kick out the pump so easily, a little more storage wold be nice for rain gear or a full face helmet. I personally think the steering post and handlebar configuration could be a bit stronger built. She is pretty happy with it though. Rides it nearly every day.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hey guys - thanks so much for the reply's going to drive one tomm and might take her home. I'm keeping my F3 just looking for some new screws to turn!

Mike
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Watch out for those red locking clips, I hear there a joke

Spyder Garage

I like the red retaining rings, better than a cotter pin for me. There is mostly good about the Ryker for me. A few small issues that are not a deal breaker, I would buy one again without hesitation.

Spyder Garage

more than 5.000 miles - not one single problem / never saw our dealer - it is more "fun" to ride her here in the Alps and for us strong and fast enough ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I have 2 Rally’s with 1500 plus miles on both with no issues and enjoy them. There is always something to wish for what it should have come with. I got the new 2018 Goldwing and wished it come with certain things also and Honda has been doing it a lot longer and can’t get it to please everyone. So all in all you can’t please everyone and never will.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I just looked at a new one at the local dealer and they looked cheap to me. I know that BRP's intent is to entice entry-level buyers and I realize that $11,800 OTD for a 900cc Ace ($10,000 MSRP) is not real expensive nowadays, but it just looked cheap to me. Please tell me I'm wrong and my first impressions are wrong. I wanted to buy it -- and I still may. Please tell me that, aside from the looks, it is a quality machine that I will thoroughly enjoy.

I like the fact that it only weighs 650 lbs, instead of the almost 900 lbs that the 2015 Spyder weighs, which I am also looking at.

Will the 900cc Ace perform (straight line) as well as the 1300+cc Spyder F3-S SE6?
    Current Motorcycles: 6 BMWs, 1 Kaw, 1 Suzuki

Spyder Garage

Doing burnouts is fun
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Doing burnouts is fun
    I have yet to do a burnout, but I can easily squeal the tire on a rolling start in ECO mode.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHolly View Post
    I just looked at a new one at the local dealer and they looked cheap to me. I know that BRP's intent is to entice entry-level buyers and I realize that $11,800 OTD for a 900cc Ace ($10,000 MSRP) is not real expensive nowadays, but it just looked cheap to me. Please tell me I'm wrong and my first impressions are wrong. I wanted to buy it -- and I still may. Please tell me that, aside from the looks, it is a quality machine that I will thoroughly enjoy.

I like the fact that it only weighs 650 lbs, instead of the almost 900 lbs that the 2015 Spyder weighs, which I am also looking at.

Will the 900cc Ace perform (straight line) as well as the 1300+cc Spyder F3-S SE6?
    I have both of them and you really need to test drive each.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2019 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Well, did you buy one? Or did you just go to the dealer and tell them how bad of a design it is?

Spyder Garage

Hello All - while I'll provide an In Depth report in another post - With cash in hand, I drove 2 hours to Atlanta yesterday go buy a Ryker as a second 3 wheeler, possibly the 10th Spyder I've owned since I bought my first one in late 2007. Regretfully, after spending a full day on the Ryker, It was an absolute disappointment and not worthy of the Can Am name since there is nothing in this bike that remotely represents any of qualities, ride, safety, or handling of past or current Spyders.

While I certainly don't want to offend any Riker owners, regretfully, the Ryker is nothing but an opportunity for Can Am to hoax US riders to move to 3 wheels, convincing them they are buying an advanced 3 wheeler like the Spyder, when in fact the Riker is a noisy (wheelbarrow looking creation) with a dated CVC scooter drive, poor handling with a lousy place to sit on!

Take some good experienced advise - Drive the Ryker than drive a Spyder, and you'll know exactly what I'm saying here. If you're looking for a 3 wheeler, my best advise is to forget the Ryker, find yourself new 17 or 18 or even a used "Real Spyder". Sooner or later, if you like 3 wheels like most of us, you'll dump the Riker for a Spyder.

Have a great 4th!

Mike
    Last edited by IdleUp; 07-04-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

I rode a Ryker for the first time last weekend. I took my buddies Ryker for a ride on Hwy 40 in Quebec. First of all, BajaRon, it definitely needs a new stabilizer bar. That freakin machine was scary at 70mph. It was so touchy. It is a fun machine, though, for city driving and secondary roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    While I certainly don't want to offend any Riker owners, regretfully, the Ryker is nothing but an opportunity for Can Am to hoax US riders to move to 3 wheels, convincing them they are buying an advanced 3 wheeler like the Spyder, when in fact the Riker is a noisy (wheelbarrow looking creation) with a dated CVC scooter drive, poor handling with a lousy place to sit on!

Mike
    The ryker isnt meant to be a spyder. I think thats your problem. you cant really compare the two. youre complaining that your chevy isnt as nice as your mercedes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Hello All - while I'll provide an In Depth report in another post - With cash in hand, I drove 2 hours to Atlanta yesterday go buy a Ryker as a second 3 wheeler, possibly the 10th Spyder I've owned since I bought my first one in late 2007. Regretfully, after spending a full day on the Ryker, It was an absolute disappointment and not worthy of the Can Am name since there is nothing in this bike that remotely represents any of qualities, ride, safety, or handling of past or current Spyders.

Take some good experienced advise - Drive the Ryker than drive a Spyder, and you'll know exactly what I'm saying here. If you're looking for a 3 wheeler, my best advise is to forget the Ryker, find yourself new 17 or 18 or even a used "Real Spyder". Sooner or later, if you like 3 wheels like most of us, you'll dump the Riker for a Spyder.

Have a great 4th!

Mike
    Now that you've graced us with your opinions, hopefully we won't see you posting anymore on this section of the site which is for people who like and are interested in the Ryker.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

So there is no room to criticize the Ryker in the Ryker forums!?
    Is all roses and cakes... and biased opinions?

The guy offered his honest opinion, in a well put manner and not disrespectful from my opinion, no need to get defensive. Doesn't mean your object on 3 wheels is less worthy to you.
    Learn to accept critiques gracefully guys... nothing wrong with that.

Spyder Garage

The title of this post is "what is wrong with the Ryker."

Everything, has it's downside. An honest opinion about the subject is welcome. Heck, there are even one or two out there that do not like the Spyder lineup either.

We can keep it friendly. Opinions are fine. Infighting between others will get the comment deleted or the thread closed.

Both things happened yesterday. Keep it nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For the record my Chevy is as nice as a Mercedes.

Spyder Garage

I went into the Ryker test drive with the same attitude as the OP, what's wrong with it. I was happily surprised that it was a whole lot more machine than I thought it would be. Is it a Spyder, probably not, but I have never owned one of those. Maybe next time but for the money this is hands down a bargain. Is it twitchy at speed, hell yeah it is. I have the Sway bar in hand to install, hopefully that will solve some of it. That must have been a heck of a test ride, all day, really?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjl99 View Post
    The ryker isnt meant to be a spyder. I think thats your problem. you cant really compare the two. youre complaining that your chevy isnt as nice as your mercedes.
    Of course its a Spyder, it's supposed to be an entry level 3 wheeler like the Spyder without the bells and whistles to introduce BRP's concept to the 2 wheel community. Just because BRP gives it a different name, does not change the concept, the Ryker is 100% Spyder concept and design, except BRP cut every conceivable corner to compete with $10K 2 wheel bikes market. In doing so, they are selling a poorly designed terrible handling bike with a dated drive train, geared totally wrong and most important "Unsafe to Drive?

In any case, the Ryker will hurt the companies good name and reputation.

Mike
    www.rotory.com