Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your opinion.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Owning both a 2012 RS and a 2019 Ryker Rally. I know what its like to own a "Spyder" and a "Ryker". I'm not going to go into a real in depth statement here but I think its worth saying some things.

My RS Spyder is physically a larger machine than the Ryker. The Spyder rides more comfortably than a Ryker. No question about that. The roads in my area are a mess of potholes and broken pavement. The Ryker ride is OK but it doesn't match the RS for comfort. Some of that could be because of seating position?

Handling I see no difference between the Sypder and Ryker. They both handle great. On the RS you get more of a feeling of flying off because you sit up higher (which doesn't bother me) but other than than that feeling I don't see how anyone could say one handles better than the other.

Power wise. The RS has more top end speed and I think the RS is a bit quicker than the Ryker. Not that the Ryker is terrible in the power department. It's got good power. I typically ride between 50 and 90 and both bikes pull this range nicely. The RS is a bit nicer in passing because you can drop a gear and punch it but I've passed plenty of vehicles with the Ryker without issue. Honestly in my opinion both bikes could use a little more quickness.

As far as quality of machine I don't think either one winds. They are both a huge pile of plastic. That could be good or bad depending on how you look at it but overall I'd say the quality of each machine is about the same. I hate the belt vibration on RS and I hate the clunk of the driveshaft on the Ryker. Different designs....same level of quality. Note the driveshaft clunk id not related to the CVT. It's related to the gearbox. It's specifically designed to clunk the way it does. Pull up the schematic on the Ryker gearbox and a Ski-Doo chain case you will see the difference right away.

He's the real deal though. People buying a Ryker don't want a Spyder. If they did they would have one already. Hell I'm a Spyder owner and I don't want a Spyder. Why? Cause the RT and the F3 are not bikes I would even consider buying. They are not for me and not even close to worth the price BRP is asking for them. I just thought my RS would be my last Spyder because its not made anymore and BRP offers nothing in the Spyder line to replace it. But the Ryker however is a pretty damn good replacement for the RS. It's smaller, lighter. sportier than the RT or F3 and its fairly stripped down and bare bones on features and perks. It's just what I'm looking for.

I have friends that I have been trying to get to buy a Spyder for years so we can ride. They have no interest. Now that I have the Ryker they are asking all sorts of questions and looking at purchasing a 2020 model. For whatever reasons they like the Ryker where they never liked the Spyder.

My dealer has sold 12 Rykers this year. How many Spyders has he sold? NONE. Not one, ZERO. He only sold 2-3 RT's a year anyway and the occasional F3. People are coming in looking to buy. He has people that were thinking RT now switching and going with 2 Rykers so they both can drive.

The Ryker is the new bare bones performance line for BRP. This is what a lot of people want. An affordable bike they can take out at night after work or on the weekend and have fun with.

Personally I'd like to see a more performance minded model in the future (more power, better suspension options). I fully expect it to happen. The days of the F3 are numbered in my opinion. The F3#has now become the old RS(s).

Spyder Garage

To use a Harley comparison, the RT is an Electra Glide while the Ryker is a Sportster. If you want a Sporty, the Electra Glide is too big and unwieldy. If you want a 'Glide, the Sporty is too small and spartan. Both of them have their fans. One is not better than the other. Choose the one that you want to ride.

Spyder Garage

Like they say..."Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody's got one"...It's all good. I've riden my wife's Ryker a few times, and personally, I prefer the weight and handling of our RT. She on the other hand prefers the nimble easy handling weight of the Ryker. We both love our ride, and in the end, that's all that matters. The OP wanted to know what is wrong with the Ryker. What's right or wrong is all in the eyes of the rider. Ride it, ya either like it or not, but don't try to convince us who is right or wrong.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

IMO what's right and what's wrong with the Ryker

What's right: Low-low price, low weight, low seat height, parking brake, reverse, stability control, traction control, antilock brakes, no splash back fuel filler, adjustable handlebars, adjustable foot pegs, adjustable foot brake, handy little glove box, two USB ports. The stock seat is surprisingly comfortable. I won't be switching it out as I have done on all my previous motorcycles.

What's wrong: Not a lot. Yes, it does have plastic body panels but these panels help keep the weight and the price down, and I have no complaints with how mine fit. I don't care for the beeping sound when you go into reverse. It's annoying. No separate ECO and Sport modes for the 600. Laser align should be done as part of the initial sale make ready. Then if the Ryker is twitchy, a slight toe in will probably reduce or eliminate this, at least it did on my Ryker.

Easy Wish list that should come stock on all Rykers: Hazard flashers, locking parking brake, locking gas cap, a helmet lock. All four of these items together can't cost BRP that much to include as standard equipment on all Rykers.

Not so easy wish list that would require some Ryker redesign: Narrower front track. The swing arm is massive so a less hefty swing arm. Less massive muffler/catalytic converter. Yes, I'm all about weight savings. Nerf bars and front skid plate options which would require some structural attachment points. Less clunk in the drive line. Lug nut wheel attachment instead of a single wheel nut.

Spyder Garage

My big plus is: WHERE else are you going to get a trike for under $20K? For the money, this thing is great! Although, I have hardly begun to put mileage on it. Of course, among the bikes I have ridden in other countries is kick start thumpers from the 60's. The Ryker is a blank canvas waiting to be personalized. To be honest with you, I never wanted a Spider because I felt like I was in a convertible car. Just my opinion. The Ryker gives me the feeling that I am still on a bike. And that is what I want. Due to physical limitations, I can't enjoy a two wheeler anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prplhays View Post
    IMO what's right and what's wrong with the Ryker

Not so easy wish list that would require some Ryker redesign: Narrower front track. The swing arm is massive so a less hefty swing arm. Less massive muffler/catalytic converter. Yes, I'm all about weight savings. Nerf bars and front skid plate options which would require some structural attachment points. Less clunk in the drive line. Lug nut wheel attachment instead of a single wheel nut.
    Thanks for your comments but you're way off with your wish for a narrower track, if anything the Ryker needs to be wider. The Ryker has a terrible suspension system so the tires are seldom on the ground in anything less than a perfect road surface. During curves, over-steer is constantly lifting the tire causing it to lose track.

Ryker's biggest poor handling problem is the result over sensitive steering because BRP deleted the electric steering unit.

Secondly, you don't want to lighten the Ryker any more than it is. It's already 400 lbs lighter than a Spyder. Being light is another problem because there is insufficient weight on the front tires to keep them on the ground which results in the front end sliding after any road imperfection. This same problem of being too light results in a traction problem in the rear as well, which causes the back end to shift during even moderate acceleration in a turn.

If anything a heavier rider or adding weight will improve the Ryker's handling!

Regards Mike
    Last edited by IdleUp; 07-08-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Excellent post!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    Excellent post!
    Refers to prplhays post!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Thanks for your comments but you're way off with your wish for a narrower track, if anything the Ryker needs to be wider. The Ryker has a terrible suspension system so the tires are seldom on the ground in anything less than a perfect road surface. During curves, over-steer is constantly lifting the tire causing it to lose track.

Ryker's biggest poor handling problem is the result over sensitive steering because BRP deleted the electric steering unit.

Secondly, you don't want to lighten the Ryker any more than it is. It's already 400 lbs lighter than a Spyder. Being light is another problem because there is insufficient weight on the front tires to keep them on the ground which results in the front end sliding after any road imperfection. This same problem of being too light results in a traction problem in the rear as well, which causes the back end to shift during even moderate acceleration in a turn.

Regards Mike
    IdleUp - with all due respect I don't know where you are coming from. You have a beautiful Spyder (thanks for the pretty pics)

However - I have ridden bikes all my life and have wanted a Can Am for a long time but did not want to shell out 20 grand plus for my needs which are not for long distance touring in ultimate comfort.

My needs were met with a fine piece of equipment - the Ryker - that I could buy "out the door" for under 10 grand.

I have put on only 1k miles so far - my 600 runs and handles really well - no lifting of front wheels on cornering etc etc - it is a safe and fun machine and is INCREDIBLE value for money. Why do you insist on comparing a 20k machine with a 10k machine (comparing a Benz with a Honda Accord?) - the Ryker is far closer to the Spyder than the latter comparison actually!

Spyder Garage

Lots of opinions from people that don't even own one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Maybe not owned one but have ridden both!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    IdleUp - with all due respect I don't know where you are coming from. You have a beautiful Spyder (thanks for the pretty pics)

However - I have ridden bikes all my life and have wanted a Can Am for a long time but did not want to shell out 20 grand plus for my needs which are not for long distance touring in ultimate comfort.

My needs were met with a fine piece of equipment - the Ryker - that I could buy "out the door" for under 10 grand.

I have put on only 1k miles so far - my 600 runs and handles really well - no lifting of front wheels on cornering etc etc - it is a safe and fun machine and is INCREDIBLE value for money. Why do you insist on comparing a 20k machine with a 10k machine (comparing a Benz with a Honda Accord?) - the Ryker is far closer to the Spyder than the latter comparison actually!
    Jax, Sorry if I offended you - I'm not trying to find fault or de-value the Ryker, just shed some light that it has a some faults. The only thing that matters is that you're happy!

Enjoy your ride - Mike
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

After you ride a Spyder for 5-10 years like a lot of guys on this forum, you don't have to buy a Ryker to find its faults. In 15-20 minutes of my 3 hour ride, on some not so smooth windy roads, I immediately noted some problems.

It's not a rocket science motorcycle, it basically a stripped down Spyder missing a good suspension system, a computer aided steering system and a good 6 speed transmission.

In any case, it will bring you from point A to B and can be a blast to ride!

Regards Mike
    www.rotory.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regards Mike
    Everyone will have a different opinion on this but I have to say I just don't agree with you on this. I'm not saying your wrong, just saying I don't agree. My opinion is based on a Spyder RS and it looks like you are riding an F3 so that may be why our opinions differ?

I have both a 2012 Spyder RS and a 2019 Ryker Rally. There are roads in my area that are both twisty and rough. Really rough in a car, worse on a bike. Some of these roads are on regular routes I ride and I have ridden both the RS and the Ryker over these roads and sometimes on the same day. I can say with 100% surety that the RS offers a smoother more comfortable ride over this terrain. I can also say with 100% surety both the RS and the Ryker "handle" the terrain the same. Handle meaning, the line they hold, the steering input and feedback, the controlability. They are both able to handle the terrain with equal ability at the same speeds. While the RS does provide a more comfy ride I have the same level of confidence in the handling of both bikes. I have never experienced the tire hopping/lifting, tire sliding and traction loss that you describe on either bike. Yes, with the Ryker in Sport or Rally mode I can break the rear tire lose and slide the back around but it has to be an intentional act. It doesn't just randomly happen because I encounter a rough road.

Spyder Garage

I would say if you own a Spyder and then ride a Ryker I would expect the reviews to be biased and I'm sure the Spyder is a fine machine. But then again, lots of people hate the Spyder's. All a matter of opinion. However, a lot of folks are on 3 wheels for the first time and the Ryker works well. I will say this, the Rally in my opinion is a steal of a deal compared to the other's with the upgrades you get. I knew immediately when I rode the 900 and then the Rally which one I was buying. Another tid bit is the upgraded sway bar is a big upgrade for handling, completed mine this weekend. The Baja Ron swaybar would be a very good option too and easier to install. And I really don't think the targeted audience for the Ryker is present Spyder owner's. Why in the world would you buy a Ryker if you already own a Spyder, makes no sense.

Spyder Garage

And I really don't think the targeted audience for the Ryker is present Spyder owner's. Why in the world would you buy a Ryker if you already own a Spyder, makes no sense.

As it is always being stated -- the Spyder and Ryker are two different animals. I use the Spyder for long trips with all its comfort and storage ability. I bought the Ryker to replace my dual sport. It is used exclusively on dirt back roads. They both fit specific needs. While the Ryker is certainly capable of long distance, I personally wouldn't want to. And I certainly wouldn't take the Spyder some of the places I go with the Ryker. I need the light weight, shaft drive and the 'all terrain' tires of the Rally in the mud, gravel, slick red clay after a good rain and deep sand that I regularly ride with the Rally. While I agree with you that BRP did not target "older Spyder owners", I believe they represent a large number of buyers.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I Love the Ryker and F3- I'm riding the F3 100 miles of backroads today and Ryker same roads tomorrow and they both do the same route and corner at the same speed BUT the F3 does it much more comfortably and the Ryker does it more intense with you really wrapped up in the ride- More like a Real bike. I always ride local so they both do the job great BUT if your heavy into touring Many miles a day you would be better off with the F3.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    To use a Harley comparison, the RT is an Electra Glide while the Ryker is a Sportster. If you want a Sporty, the Electra Glide is too big and unwieldy. If you want a 'Glide, the Sporty is too small and spartan. Both of them have their fans. One is not better than the other. Choose the one that you want to ride.
    I was thinking the same, only Honda. If you only ever ride Goldwings and you think a new Rebel will be the same thing, you’ll be really disappointed. Sounds like the rant was from someone that wanted a Spyder for under $10k and was upset that it’s not.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your opinion, you are certainly welcome to it. But I believe the majority of us who post here like our Rykers. And though they are made by Can Am and have the same three wheel configuration, they are NOT Spyders. The Slingshot has the same three wheel configuration but it is not a Spyder or a Ryker. I for one am pleased with my Rally, does just what I want it to do. I disagree that the CVT is dated (and CVT with a driveshaft is innovative in my book) and though they can be twitchy (Ron's sway bar fixes most of that!), I don't see it as any more unsafe than any of my thirty some two wheelers were.

So now that we have both your opinion and mine, I suggest we go our separate and happy ways.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

After you ride a Spyder for 5-10 years like a lot of guys on this forum, you don't have to buy a Ryker to find its faults. In 15-20 minutes of my 3 hour ride, on some not so smooth windy roads, I immediately noted some problems.

It's not a rocket science motorcycle, it basically a stripped down Spyder missing a good suspension system, a computer aided steering system and a good 6 speed transmission.

In any case, it will bring you from point A to B and can be a blast to ride!

Regards Mike
    I have wanted a reverse trike for a long time. I have owned three Harley Davisons and some other brand bikes, but I have been waiting for Harley to produce the reverse trike they have a patent on. It looks very much like the Ryker but they only produced the prototype. I am past my two wheel days, with bad knees and now need two operations on my clutch hand. I have looked at Can Am spiders but in my opinion, it's like sitting in a convertible car, NOT a motorcycle. I want the feeling of riding a motorcycle but the stability of the three wheels. Two wheels in the back doesn't get it. It's not as safe as the CanAm. I took a test ride on the Ryker to see if I would hate it and I did not. I found out why all those guys on Youtube that were test riding Rkyers, were giggling like school girls. It has power and it has the feeling of being on a two wheeler. I do not feel like I am in a topless car and I do not feel the bulk that I felt on the CanAm. Of course, my wife wanted me to get a spider, all tricked out with fancy extras, but I just want to ride and remember why I enjoyed riding a two wheeler in several countries of the world. My Harley is for sale and I am currently personalizing my Ryker. The ONLY complaint I have is that it is a bit too small to run both of us around safely. We exceed the recommended weight limit and I do not want to bottom out. That is the ONLY complaint, and that is my personal problem, not CanAm's. For the money, Ryker is fantastic. I have no doubt at all that next year the prices will likely double. After all, they are selling out as fast as they stock them at the dealers'.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing the Spider. I don't like big Harley baggers either. I am glad that I bought the Ryker, and no I have not put enough mileage on it yet to give an expert opinion.

Spyder Garage

Are you referring to the Slingshot being more like a car?
    Because if so, you are correct but the Slingshot is not made by can am.

Can am DOES make two types of trikes though. The Spyder, which is more refined and the Ryker, which is more stripped down.

Spyder Garage

So is my Chevy! I just bought a Red Camaro 2 SS with 455 H.P. and every conceivable option on it available, including Sun Roof, GPS and Navigation, Heads Up Information Display, Magnetic Drive, Auto Tranny with Manual Override Paddle shift, leather seats, 9 speaker Bose Stereo System, Cruise Control, and too much more to even remember. I can tell you, taking a cruise with my Camaro with the Dual Mode Exhausts in Track Mode, sounding like a Stock Car on the Drag Strip, then getting on my 2016 Spyder RT Limited that cost almost the same money, is comparable to being awake or asleep! The car was a Demonstrator with only 1700 miles on it. I paid a little more for it than I paid for my new 2012 Spyder RT Limited when I bought it in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    For the record my Chevy is as nice as a Mercedes.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Let's go back to the subject at hand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red